Sponsored

What is a good mileage target for first oil change?

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
Do any of you run a can of Sea Foam (or other engine flush product) in the car ahead of the oil change?

Saw it on a video by Project Farm, and it seemed like it helped clear engine deposits better than a normal oil change.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Do any of you run a can of Sea Foam (or other engine flush product) in the car ahead of the oil change?

Saw it on a video by Project Farm, and it seemed like it helped clear engine deposits better than a normal oil change.
Why? On a new engine, there should be zero deposits. There is a YT video of a guy with over 600K miles on a 3.6L with nothing but routine oil changes.

I would skip the snake oil treatments and perform routine maintenance.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
1st @ 1,000
2nd @ 2,500
3rd @ 5,000

Every 5,000 afterwards with an oil filter change every other oil change (FRAM Ultra).

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
My JLU is a weekend warrior, so I am shooting for ~5k miles/9 months for my Jeep Wave oil change/tire rotations. Just changed the rear diff fluid (M220/LSD/Tow Package) and it was breeze. Looking forward to doing my own maintenance after the Jeep Wave benefits expire. Oil change on the 3.6 looks to be pretty simple. Def check your oil level on your freebie changes. Seems to be a recurring theme.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
At 600 miles you are about right to do an oil and filter change. I recommend conventional oil and then another 3,000 miles go with synthetic.

I'm an every 3.000 mile oil change and lube, inspect chassis, rotate wheels on all my 4 wheeled vehicles. I also do bi annual brake fluid, coolant, transmission, power steering, diff, etc. flush and changes.

I tend to get 200,000 - 300,000+ miles and 15 - 20 years plus out of my rigs and run them into the ground.

If you plan on less than 200,000 miles and less than 10 years then the 5,000+ mile oil changes and by the manual service schedule will serve you well and be just fine.

Sponsored

Jesus_fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Clubs

My last experience with a new engine was on a reman 5.3 in our Yukon and I was shocked how much crap was in the pan after 500 miles. Thanks for this well timed thread, I just hit 400 miles on my new JL.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I plan to do my first at 3,000 miles. After that I will go somewhere between 75-90% on the oil monitor for changes. Similar to my RAM 1500.

As others have mentioned changing the oil on the V6 should be a snap with easy access to the filter. Getting the filter of the 5.7 Hemi without making a mess...well that is another story.

I know Jeep wave offer 3 oil changes, but my local dealer's service center is so damn busy I am not sure if I will even try to get them, I don't like to sit in the lounge for 3 hours for a 20 minute job if I do it my self....

OP
OP
JokerCA

JokerCA

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
My last experience with a new engine was on a reman 5.3 in our Yukon and I was shocked how much crap was in the pan after 500 miles. Thanks for this well timed thread, I just hit 400 miles on my new JL.
You're welcome! I figured it be best to start planning now, and so far this forum community has been great any time I have reached out.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The manual says (paraphrasing) “change the oil in no case longer than 1 year or 10,000 miles or 350 hours. And the service interval for an oil change is when the oil change indicator comes on.”

I’ve had my 2020 coming up on 2 years. I have 14k on it. I will use my last of 4 ‘jeep waves” oil change next month.

I am one that tends to follow the manual. I used the 4 “free” oil changes because, well, why not?

But…… going forward, in my case, I will likely get one oil change roughly 1x/year or roughly 7,000 miles (Or if the indicator gets to around 20% life remaining… whatever the time/mileage is).

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
How good is the computer at determining if the oil is still ok?
I think the algorithm calculates the oil life reasonably well, as long as there was no accidental reset. However, If you do a lot of driving in extreme environments such as dust storms, smoke, dirt roads, etc., I would shorten the oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin filter change intervals.

Sponsored

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
this isn't the 40s to the 90s tech. 10k km oil changes with synthetic oil is all you need now. maybe every 8k in harsh environments.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Oh and I always do it myself. There is no way any dealer or service station will be willing to take as much time and be as thorough as I am.
This x100!
Easiest oil change ever, and no dealing w/ the drive to & from the dealer, the wait at the dealer, then having to check their work. No chance for crossed drain plug threads, overfilled/underfilled, incorrect oil used, fasteners too tight or too loose, oil spilled on your motor, etc, etc, etc.

And FWIW, first change at 1k miles, and every 6k after that (because I like to rotate my tires at the same time and don't want to do that 1k earlier, lol.) And I don't trust tire shops to do that either :(

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
At 600 miles you are about right to do an oil and filter change. I recommend conventional oil and then another 3,000 miles go with synthetic.
FWIW all 0w20 motor oil is synthetic. at least AFAIK :)

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I follow the rigid schedule below for all my new cars; so far all 15 of them have lasted me 600,000 miles:
First oil change: exactly 529 miles. No more, no less. Change oil filter too.
second oil change: 988 miles. BUT LEAVE THE FILTER IN.
Third oil change: 3230 miles (unless 3230 miles is reached in November; if so, postpone until 3320 miles). Replace filter for this and every subsequent oil change.
fourth and all subsequent oil changes: every 4500 miles on the dot (or every 240 days, whichever comes first).

Sound like bullshit? It should, because it is :CWL:

You’ll get as many different answers on this thread as you do distinct users who post..... just change it according to whatever schedule you want as long as it is as often or more often than the manual recommends and you’ll be fine

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I follow the rigid schedule below for all my new cars; so far all 15 of them have lasted me 600,000 miles:
First oil change: exactly 529 miles. No more, no less. Change oil filter too.
second oil change: 988 miles. BUT LEAVE THE FILTER IN.
Third oil change: 3230 miles (unless 3230 miles is reached in November; if so, postpone until 3320 miles). Replace filter for this and every subsequent oil change.
fourth and all subsequent oil changes: every 4500 miles on the dot (or every 240 days, whichever comes first).

Sound like bullshit? It should, because it is :CWL:

You’ll get as many different answers on this thread as you do distinct users who post..... just change it according to whatever schedule you want as long as it is as often or more often than the manual recommends and you’ll be fine
Awesome! I have a vision of a guy in the middle of the freeway at rush hour, hazards on changing his oil…”Just hit 529 miles, gotta change the oil!!!”

well done
Sponsored