Sponsored

What is a good mileage target for first oil change?

JokerCA

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Hey all - New owner of a ‘21 Willys (first wrangler 😃) for a month now, and only have 600 miles on it. I’m a 5k oil change/tire rotation kind of guy, but I’m wondering if anyone has any recommendation otherwise? I was enrolled in the Jeep Wave program, which I understand I get the first 3 oil changes for free (unsure if anything else is included - sales rep wasn't too helpful with explaining ANY details on anything), but…

Feedback/thoughts?

Btw - love how supportive this community is!

Cheers,
Bryan
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
You will get all kinds of answers. I change every 5000. Even on a new vehicle..never had any issues.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I aim for 5k miles, and usually end up doing it around 4500-4600.

OP
OP
JokerCA

JokerCA

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! With my previous cars, and the wife's, I’ve always kept it at 5k…so good, I’m not the only one haha. Appreciate the feedback!

RideGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saraha JLU
How good is the computer at determining if the oil is still ok?

For my Odyssey I usually just wait until the computer says to change the oil. I do it as soon as the warning comes up which means there is a bout 15% life left.

For my jeep at 8,000km I was still at 40% life. Have people had issues if they wait until the computer says to change the oil?

Sponsored

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
I wait for it to tell me, just did it myself today. Since i actually know it takes 5L ;)
so easy on a jl 3.6 engine with that filter on top

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
On new vehicles I usually do about 2,000 and then about every 5,000 while also checking what the computer says (now that the new cars tell you that). Although I never let it get below about 50% or so by doing this. I fully realize with today's more advanced oils, this is probably a waste of money by changing too often, but then again I am a firm believer in there is no such thing as changing the oil too much. Especially since I have a short commute so I do a lot of short trips.
Oh and I always do it myself. There is no way any dealer or service station will be willing to take as much time and be as thorough as I am.

TwoDoorDylan

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sting Gray Rubicon; 2001 Ext Cab Tacoma
1st at 500, 2nd at 1500, 3rd at 3000, 4th at 5000 and then every 3-5k after that depending on the driving conditions during the current period. Excessive - yes, but I enjoy the peace of mind knowing there is clean oil circulating and love wrenching on the Jeep.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Usually let it drop down to about 5% and then change. It's not a race motor.

Sponsored

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Wouldnt worry about that… ive heard of camrys going 80k miles without an oil change. Your jeep will probably fall apart before it makes it there

VWillys

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Willys - Bright White
Since I only put 4 - 5K miles per year on my Jeep, I change the oil based on time (every six months).

Given the horror stories on here about dealerships overfilling the oil (adding 6 quarts vs 5), I started doing my own oil changes again and will forego my Jeep Wave free changes. I have the 3.6L engine so changing oil is very easy.

OP
OP
JokerCA

JokerCA

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting points made, appreciate it. I too don’t put many miles per year on. My commute to the office is 10 min, but I’ve also been WFH since 3/2020; however, I want this to last as I plan on keeping it for a long time and who knows, may even pass it down to the kids when they’re of age and get a new one. I have the 2.0, and not opposed to doing my own oil changes, any feedback on the ease of this engine vs the 3.6? Scary some of the dealer feedback too. Maybe I am too trusting but with my prior vehicle (WRX) and my wife’s Lexus, I’ve never had an oil change issue. I do like to get to know the service manager so that I have someone to hold accountable IF something ever happens, but…no y’all got me worried haha.

OP
OP
JokerCA

JokerCA

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brand new vehicle…every 2500 miles until it his 10K. Then every 5000 miles after.
Thank you! So knock out the first 4 in the initial 10k
Sponsored