Sponsored

What improvements do you think we’ll see in the 2019 model?

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Did you hear that Defender rumor recently? Land Rover is owned by Tata now, and last I heard the long delayed return of the Defender (if it ever occurs), will be as a unibody vehicle. Would be great if it comes back as a ladder frame live axle vehicle.
Land Rover is keeping things very secretive around the Defender. The live f/r axles were confirmed, but the fact they will also have 90 and 110 versions with convertible and hard tops, plus pickup versions, all bodes well.
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
In addition to the diesel they are also adding BSG to the Pentastar. This should help with ESS and maybe a slight improvement in MPG.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Introduction of an autonomous, six-door model with a third row of seats.
I see some enclosed cab accessory with bolt down 3rd row seats happening with the JT someday, be it FCA or aftermarket (or both) born.

Autonomy: yeah, if the JL/T/U line lasts for a decade like the JK, it's a distinct possibility.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Exactly. A G-Wagon on steroids. I'd throw money at them if they did this, particularly combined with the diesel engine. Although I wouldn't mind if they developed a manually operated version that allowed locking of the center-diff with the transfer case lever (right to left motion as in some of the old Land Rover Discoveries).

Rumor has it this is exactly what the new Defender will be when it returns (live front and rear axles, AWD, and center/front/rear diff locks).
You do realize if they offered this, it would likely start at $65K.

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
You do realize if they offered this, it would likely start at $65K.
I can't tell to what you are referring. Do you mean the Defender? Do you mean the JL with a new trans and transfer case?

The Defender has always been a premium product, so no argument there. A loaded JLU with the diesel may approach $60K as it stands. An upgraded version of the Selec-Trac might add a grand or two more. Not sure what the problem is if you're already ok with the prices of the JLU.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I assume adaptive cruise control and automatic pre-collision braking would appear soon. These features are standard on a base $18k Corolla, after all.

I didn't care about adaptive cruise control until I got a car with it (VW GTI). It makes highway cruising so much less stressful, and it's cool that it even works with the manual transmission (shifting doesn't disengage ACC).

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
I assume adaptive cruise control and automatic pre-collision braking would appear soon. These features are standard on a base $18k Corolla, after all.

I didn't care about adaptive cruise control until I got a car with it (VW GTI). It makes highway cruising so much less stressful, and it's cool that it even works with the manual transmission (shifting doesn't disengage ACC).
Good for Toyota for making it standard. On every vehicle I've looked at, adaptive cruise control and collisional avoidance is expensive.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Good for Toyota for making it standard. On every vehicle I've looked at, adaptive cruise control and collisional avoidance is expensive.
Jeep is pricing JL options like they are a luxury automaker, so ACC+pre-collision braking would raise the price by $1k or so, I bet. I do imagine these feature make an appearance soon though; folks drive another car with these features, and they're hooked and demand it on their next vehicle.

mlong003

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I would like to see the return of the Saddle Brown leather with that color incorporated into the dash and doors like they did with the JK (beyond just the seats).

And...this is random, but I always thought an automatic locking glove box and center console (that syncs with or without the door locks) would be a really cool and functional addition. Being a jeep with minimal security, I always lock stuff in those compartments when I run in places. They of course, would have to figure out the details...

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Meh, I’m more interested in the mild hybrid details in that article. Regarding the Pentastar V6:
“the hybrid power boost is supposed to add 90 lb-ft of torque when it comes online. “

Whoa, that’s a spicy meatball... Wonder what the MH option on the JL/JT will cost, because regen braking, better mpg, and 90lbs of torque are some valuable traits that I’m all of a sudden looking forward to very much.

As for what I expect in 2019, the biggest improvement I foresee will be a 5.5’ truck bed ;-)

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
I would like to see the return of the Saddle Brown leather with that color incorporated into the dash and doors like they did with the JK (beyond just the seats).
Me, too. i have to think they didn't have the production line capacity to do this, what with the outgoing JK running alongside it – hence the weird, light-colored tan. At least I hope this is the case. If the tan soft tops match this leather, it's going to be a big disappointment.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Rumor has it this is exactly what the new Defender will be when it returns (live front and rear axles, AWD, and center/front/rear diff locks).
The new Defender will be based on the aluminum unibody platform used for the Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Discovery. Unfortunately, I can't see the design/engineering being too distinctive.

Orly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Tacoma, 04 Sienna, 06 Suzuki Boulevard
Occupation
Healthcare
Last edited: