Sponsored

What if you want to lift your Rubicon an inch or 2?

jwms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I keep seeing posts about lifting other JL's with Rubicon parts but what if you want to make your Rubicon taller? What are the common goto upgrades?

Spacers, a lift kit, or taller tires? And would there need to be any supplemental upgrades to accomodate the change?
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Just buy the appropriately sized spring or spacer. It's pretty simple. They make spacers from .4" to 2" (more or less) so you can level or lift your rig as much as you want.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I keep seeing posts about lifting other JL's with Rubicon parts but what if you want to make your Rubicon taller? What are the common goto upgrades?

Spacers, a lift kit, or taller tires? And would there need to be any supplemental upgrades to accomodate the change?
Well there's no quick answer to your question. What is your overall goal? Looks, better performance off road... Are you staying with only an inch or two for a specific reason? If you only want bigger tires, then 35s will fit with only mild rubbing in certain conditions. A spacer kit will maintain factory ride while allowing the 35s to fit without any rubbing. If you choose that route I recommend you look at Daystar.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Well there's no quick answer to your question. What is your overall goal? Looks, better performance off road... Are you staying with only an inch or two for a specific reason? If you only want bigger tires, then 35s will fit with only mild rubbing in certain conditions.
Agreed.
I asked a similar question several months ago, but I had a specific setup in mind. Still, there's some good info that i think may help you in this thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2-5-lift-what-do-i-need-to-do.64322/

OP
OP

jwms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Well there's no quick answer to your question. What is your overall goal? Looks, better performance off road... Are you staying with only an inch or two for a specific reason? If you only want bigger tires, then 35s will fit with only mild rubbing in certain conditions. A spacer kit will maintain factory ride while allowing the 35s to fit without any rubbing. If you choose that route I recommend you look at Daystar.
Without knowing much else myself, I would say the main goal 1st would be to raise it an inch or 2 and not compromise the ride quality or integrity. Like I wouldn't need to articulate over some boulder my Jeep could already handle as is, but I wouldn't want to bend and break something with the lift that I could previously handled.

I get the feeling spacers or larger tires might be the way to go but I didn't know if spacers were just a cheap way to do it and I would have to make all sorts of additional camber adjustments and whatnot so my tires didn't turn pidgeon-toed or something.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'd do a Google search for camber, toe-in/toe-out, caster (alignment). Your vehicle is a solid front axle (SFA), so some of the suspension modifications won't impact some of the alignment specs in the same way they do an independent front suspension (IFS). It sounds like you may not really understand suspension and alignment and how they work. No offense meant, just what it sounds like to me based on your post. You don't have to be a "tech", but maybe a general understanding of the basics is in order.

Also, it sounds like you may misunderstand suspension lifts (spacers and springs) versus the lift that is gained with taller tires. They are different, and many posters will have opinions on what/how to get to a desired outcome. What other posters are saying is if you know what your desired outcome is, then the questions/answer are easier. Without knowing, there are so many variables.

I like the smallest lift possible to fit the tallest tire possible. That means I'd want to know what size tire I need in order to run the trails I want to run, then I'd install the lift that allows me to install that tire without any more spring height than I need.

Essentially, a lift allows you to install a taller tire and a taller tire increases your ground clearance (amount a clearance under the axle housings).

Edited to add: 35" tires will "lift" the entire vehicle by 1" over a vehicle with 33" tires (1/2 of the diameter of the tire). It will create one inch of additional ground clearance. A suspension lift (spacers or springs) will lift everything that is above the spring, so the axles will not be lifted by the suspension. The only thing that lifts the axle is the size of the tires. However, the suspension lift will lift the "body" and frame of the vehicle, that portion of the vehicle that sits above the springs. So, do you need taller tires (that will already fit) or taller suspension, or taller suspension because you want taller tires? That's really the question(s) we're all asking when we say it's complicated. It's easy to answer, and it's hard, because no one knows what you need (looks or performance), but once you know what you need it's a pretty simple question to answer.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Why do you wanna lift? do you want to fit 35s without any rubbing?

do you not like how the Jeep looks and want an extra inch? Are you looking for better belly clearance are you dragging a lot?

You need to tell us what you want. And it is ok if it is just about looks.

Hotspots

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S 2-Door
Do you currently drive a Rubi? I wasn't able to tell, but I assume so based on your first post. If you don't have a Rubi, I'd say the easiest way to go is to get yourself a pair of Rubi fenders. They will make the vehicle look higher without actually changing ride quality. They also provide a bit of extra space to more easily fit bigger tires. Here is a link:

https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-fender-flares-set-of-four-black-82215743ac

Step 2 would be bigger tires! With the Rubi fenders you can fit 35's pretty easily. This will add about an inch of ride height from a stock Rubi or about 2 inches from other trims. Don't forget to reprogram your Jeep to the new tire size though!

Spacers also work, but unless you're good with a wrench, you may want to consider a shop to make sure it's done right.

A lift kit is the extreme option, but unless you're off roading often or really want that tall look, it's often a lot to change it. Depending on the height, you may need new springs, brakes, brake lines, control arms, etc. This will almost certainly change how the vehicles drives as well.

I'd get yourself a new set of tires and have some fun :)

OP
OP

jwms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Why do you wanna lift? do you want to fit 35s without any rubbing?

do you not like how the Jeep looks and want an extra inch? Are you looking for better belly clearance are you dragging a lot?

You need to tell us what you want. And it is ok if it is just about looks.
It would be for looks but w/o screwing anything up. I had an XTerra that I lifted w/ spacers, tires, and some leaf springs and I didn't know if it was the best route to take.

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)

Sponsored

OP
OP

jwms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Do you currently drive a Rubi? I wasn't able to tell, but I assume so based on your first post. If you don't have a Rubi, I'd say the easiest way to go is to get yourself a pair of Rubi fenders. They will make the vehicle look higher without actually changing ride quality. They also provide a bit of extra space to more easily fit bigger tires. Here is a link:

https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-fender-flares-set-of-four-black-82215743ac

Step 2 would be bigger tires! With the Rubi fenders you can fit 35's pretty easily. This will add about an inch of ride height from a stock Rubi or about 2 inches from other trims. Don't forget to reprogram your Jeep to the new tire size though!

Spacers also work, but unless you're good with a wrench, you may want to consider a shop to make sure it's done right.

A lift kit is the extreme option, but unless you're off roading often or really want that tall look, it's often a lot to change it. Depending on the height, you may need new springs, brakes, brake lines, control arms, etc. This will almost certainly change how the vehicles drives as well.

I'd get yourself a new set of tires and have some fun :)
Yes I have a Rubicon. I think some taller tires might be the thing for me. Thanks folks!

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR

Take a look at the TerraFlex ST1 boost kit. You will see a solid overall 1.5” front and 2” rear which provides for a nice level sitting Jeep and plenty of room for 35-37” tires. Gives the Jeep a more “athletic” stance especially going up to 35” tires.

This is mine with a slightly modified 2” ST1 lift (1.5”+.5” =2” of front lift). I also opted for slightly longer Falcon shocks (2”-3” lift shocks) though this is generally not needed.

I run MickeyThompson Boss AT tires in 35”
Jeep Wrangler JL What if you want to lift your Rubicon an inch or 2? 0EFDC1D2-2D36-495D-9610-4AC35DB4D5BA

Shown below left with stock 33” tires and right with 35” tires.
Jeep Wrangler JL What if you want to lift your Rubicon an inch or 2? 530FBCF5-2289-49F6-9FAA-20854FC20CEA

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Without knowing much else myself, I would say the main goal 1st would be to raise it an inch or 2 and not compromise the ride quality or integrity. Like I wouldn't need to articulate over some boulder my Jeep could already handle as is, but I wouldn't want to bend and break something with the lift that I could previously handled.

I get the feeling spacers or larger tires might be the way to go but I didn't know if spacers were just a cheap way to do it and I would have to make all sorts of additional camber adjustments and whatnot so my tires didn't turn pidgeon-toed or something.
Check out the Daystar 2"spacer lift. It includes the lower control arms to correct caster, and it's cheaper than the other brands that include less. You can find it for around 300 on Amazon.

OP
OP

jwms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I'd do a Google search for camber, toe-in/toe-out, caster (alignment). Your vehicle is a solid front axle (SFA), so some of the suspension modifications won't impact some of the alignment specs in the same way they do an independent front suspension (IFS). It sounds like you may not really understand suspension and alignment and how they work. No offense meant, just what it sounds like to me based on your post. You don't have to be a "tech", but maybe a general understanding of the basics is in order.

Also, it sounds like you may misunderstand suspension lifts (spacers and springs) versus the lift that is gained with taller tires. They are different, and many posters will have opinions on what/how to get to a desired outcome. What other posters are saying is if you know what your desired outcome is, then the questions/answer are easier. Without knowing, there are so many variables.

I like the smallest lift possible to fit the tallest tire possible. That means I'd want to know what size tire I need in order to run the trails I want to run, then I'd install the lift that allows me to install that tire without any more spring height than I need.

Essentially, a lift allows you to install a taller tire and a taller tire increases your ground clearance (amount a clearance under the axle housings).

Edited to add: 35" tires will "lift" the entire vehicle by 1" over a vehicle with 33" tires (1/2 of the diameter of the tire). It will create one inch of additional ground clearance. A suspension lift (spacers or springs) will lift everything that is above the spring, so the axles will not be lifted by the suspension. The only thing that lifts the axle is the size of the tires. However, the suspension lift will lift the "body" and frame of the vehicle, that portion of the vehicle that sits above the springs. So, do you need taller tires (that will already fit) or taller suspension, or taller suspension because you want taller tires? That's really the question(s) we're all asking when we say it's complicated. It's easy to answer, and it's hard, because no one knows what you need (looks or performance), but once you know what you need it's a pretty simple question to answer.
Thanks you for the additional considerations. I think if I were to put all of that together, I would want to achieve maybe 2" of lift and ground clearance over my stock Rubicon with 35" tires.

It sounds like the tires would give me 1" of extra clearance.

And you're right. I don't understand suspension. I just wouldn't want to figuratively have my Jeep walking around in stilts just "because I want it to be taller", so to speak, and I end up causing more maintenance for the sake of the upgrade. It would be nice to put together a little bit of ca higher clearance and stance but something done smartly.

Regardless, it seemed like most of the forum topics were about messing with the Sport models and putting Rubicon parts on them or other products. I also wouldn't want to throw a few thousand bucks for an elaborate upgrade for an inch of ground clearance.

Just spitballing.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'd just put the tire on it that you want and then, and only if you found it necessary, add a spacer lift. I don't think you're going to end up needing the spacer lift though, and I think you'll be happy with just the tires. Good luck and post pics!
Sponsored