Sponsored

What if: How to remove oil from cylinders after rollover?

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
Just want to be prepared as I've had to do it twice before on gas engines. If the vehicle sits upside down for a few minutes, oil makes it past the cylinders that doesn't fully drain back after setting it right side up. If the engine is cranked as is, there is a likelihood of hydro locking. On the gas engines, I removed the spark plugs and cranked the engine until it stopped spewing oil. But what do I do on my diesel?

I'll post a picture if I can get a good non-moronic suggestion.
Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
If you have a diesel, there is no removing the oil or spark plugs. This could be real bad and any oil that makes its way in the firing chamber will result in bent or broken piston rods.

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Never thought about it on a diesel…………
here’s a few post from a quick inter-web search

I've had many a diesel powered mower on their side/back and learned the hard way not to "she'll be right" it.
Take out the glow plugs and turn it over by hand first. It will probably shoot fountains of oil. Once it starts getting less fountain more mist turn over with the starter motor, with the glow pugs still out. Once its blowing air/mist chuck the glow plugs back in and it should be apples.

—————————

This is great advice. A risk with diesels that have been on their lid is that when they are first started they can suffer from sump oil fueling and rev themselves to death if the oil hasn't been properly cleared from the intake system. A precaution to avoid this is to start the engine with the gearbox in 4th and the clutch in. This makes it easy to stall the engine if the revs start to take off.

——————————

both times I've had cars on there side and roof they were diesels

first one on its side we towed it back to camp, left it sit overnight, everything looked good so turned it over by hand to confirm before cranking

second was on its roof, put it on a tow truck to the workshop, next morning pulled the air filter and turbo crossover off as they were coated in oil, then did the same, turned it over by hand first then cranked

mate put his 1uz patrol on its side last week, once it was on its wheels he tried cranking but wouldn't go. pulled 7 of the plugs out (can't get to the 8th without removing brake and clutch boosters), disconnected the crank angle sensor (after first creating a nice fireball in our faces) and cranked, took a few goes to get it to turn over past cylinder 8 but once it did it just created a large smoke screen, put plugs back in and was all good
was a bit smokey for the next 3 courses for the night but by the next day was all clear

OP
OP
21JLURDG

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is removing the glow plugs an option, kind of like removing spark plugs? I've never worked on diesels so I don't know how difficult the process would be, or if cranking without them is possible.

Sponsored

OP
OP
21JLURDG

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Runaway engine is more likely than hydro locking and/or tearing the engine apart? I would think having incompressible fluid (oil) in the cylinder is worse than the danger of a turbo overspinning.
Sponsored