Sponsored

What happens when the axle lock sensor fails?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Just finished setting up my 2021 JLUR for our 10 day Moab trip. The week before heading out, I had a shop regear. Sure enough, hit the trails and locked the axles for a tough obstacle. After completing the obstacle I went to rear only and the front would not show engaged on the screen. Fortunately, the front locker was off. Immediately spent $500 to get the Tazer harnesses next day aired to me in Moab from NorthRidge... Waited the entire next day only to find out they sent the harnesses for the non OEM lockers! Just finished up wheeling again today and was able to get the lockers to turn on and off, just not fix the error codes or get the screen to match what was really happening with the lockers.

At the end of each day I set the Tazer to Lockers - NONE and that clears the codes. Then when I get ready to wheel, I set the Tazer back to Lockers - Both. Seems to work for now. My question for the owners that have already put in the harness is, will the harness show the accurate info on the screen? Otherwise, it seems like I should just bypass everything and wire it to the Aux swithes or aftermarket switches.
Sponsored

Reactions: TJP

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the screen is accurate in my experience.

Fyi when I used my taser to figure out which axle went bad, i disabled the front only and that cleared my error, so I omly needed one harness.

Good luck.

Just finished setting up my 2021 JLUR for our 10 day Moab trip. The week before heading out, I had a shop regear. Sure enough, hit the trails and locked the axles for a tough obstacle. After completing the obstacle I went to rear only and the front would not show engaged on the screen. Fortunately, the front locker was off. Immediately spent $500 to get the Tazer harnesses next day aired to me in Moab from NorthRidge... Waited the entire next day only to find out they sent the harnesses for the non OEM lockers! Just finished up wheeling again today and was able to get the lockers to turn on and off, just not fix the error codes or get the screen to match what was really happening with the lockers.

At the end of each day I set the Tazer to Lockers - NONE and that clears the codes. Then when I get ready to wheel, I set the Tazer back to Lockers - Both. Seems to work for now. My question for the owners that have already put in the harness is, will the harness show the accurate info on the screen? Otherwise, it seems like I should just bypass everything and wire it to the Aux swithes or aftermarket switches.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Fyi when I used my taser to figure out which axle went bad, i disabled the front only and that cleared my error, so I omly needed one harness.

Good luck.
Thanks, mine is probably just the front as well. If I just need the front, I am still keeping the other one as a spare.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Good luck.
The harness bypasses the sensor so there is no way to know the position of the locker once the harness is installed.

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Agree w you in that the harness bypasses the sensor. The screen still shows what it believes to be the condition ie locked or unlocked. But since the sensor is bypassed and/or otherwise dead, correct it does not confirm the state it shows on the dosplay.

The harness bypasses the sensor so there is no way to know the position of the locker once the harness is installed.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Agree w you in that the harness bypasses the sensor. The screen still shows what it believes to be the condition ie locked or unlocked. But since the sensor is bypassed and/or otherwise dead, correct it does not confirm the state it shows on the dosplay.
Ok. Now I am confused. My screen currently shows the front locker as connected when it is not connected. Will the tazer harness fix that so the screen is accurate? Or does it only make the right light on the switch work? If it does not fix the dash accuracy, I might as well bypass the entire switch with a cheap on and off wire set up.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Tazer mini ?
No you need the regular tazer to get into the locker settings. The mini will only allow you to do tire size, gears and t-case setting.

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Mgroeger is correct. But I think he meant LITE taser will not work. Mini taser is full featured and will let you get into tge settings for lockers.

No you need the regular tazer to get into the locker settings. The mini will only allow you to do tire size, gears and t-case setting.

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the harness should address the inaccurate reading on your dash if the sensor in the front is the cause of the error. Get the correct harness, its OEM locker harness.

Ok. Now I am confused. My screen currently shows the front locker as connected when it is not connected. Will the tazer harness fix that so the screen is accurate? Or does it only make the right light on the switch work? If it does not fix the dash accuracy, I might as well bypass the entire switch with a cheap on and off wire set up.

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Yes the harness should address the inaccurate reading on your dash if the sensor in the front is the cause of the error. Get the correct harness, its OEM locker harness.
Thanks, Northridge was supposed to send over the OEM, but sent over the wrong ones. Really ticked me off... Fortunately, it did not keep me from wheeling.

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Back to showing axles locked in 2H. Guess I will take it back to the dealer for the 3rd time same problem.

I filed a complaint with the NHTSA as well

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Axle replaced already?

Back to showing axles locked in 2H. Guess I will take it back to the dealer for the 3rd time same problem.

I filed a complaint with the NHTSA as well

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Axle replaced already?
nope. The first time they reset the computer, the second time they replaced the 4x4 module. If they are being honest they haven’t heard of the rubicon failed axle locker problem and don’t want to hear what I have found online. My case manager at Jeep cares is no help - despite them having a presence on this forum and these axle locker threads in particular, my case manager states she is not allowed to refer to Internet forums I have pointed her to and states when she talked to the technical /star case dept they had no knowledge or other reports about the problem.

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sucks.

Good news is likely fix is available, but costs $170 each failed axle. (Zauto).

Im going to stop by the Dana reps tomorrow at bantam see what they have to say or not say.

nope. The first time they reset the computer, the second time they replaced the 4x4 module. If they are being honest they haven’t heard of the rubicon failed axle locker problem and don’t want to hear what I have found online. My case manager at Jeep cares is no help - despite them having a presence on this forum and these axle locker threads in particular, my case manager states she is not allowed to refer to Internet forums I have pointed her to and states when she talked to the technical /star case dept they had no knowledge or other reports about the problem.
Sponsored