Sponsored

What happens when the axle lock sensor fails?

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck!! Let us know tge part number they speak of.

The locker sensor is not available separately.

So it stayed on over the weekend when it was warm/hot so that theory seems unfounded now.

Took it into the dealer today when it was actually on. Just heard back and they said it was due to a bad sensor, but they have one coming in the morning and can replace it. So is there another sensor plan to failure aside from the one that cannot be replaced separately and requires the entire axle to be replaced? Or does this dealer/tech not know what they are talking about?

I guess I will find out tomorrow.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So it stayed on over the weekend when it was warm/hot so that theory seems unfounded now.

Took it into the dealer today when it was actually on. Just heard back and they said it was due to a bad sensor, but they have one coming in the morning and can replace it. So is there another sensor plan to failure aside from the one that cannot be replaced separately and requires the entire axle to be replaced? Or does this dealer/tech not know what they are talking about?

As far as I can tell the dealer doesn't know what he is talking about.

IF they really do replace JUST THE SENSOR in the axle PLEASE LET US KNOW. Take pics of your work order and show all the info because if that sensor is now able to be ordered on it's own there are plenty of people wanting to know that.
There is another "sensor" in the axle which actually engages the locker (so technically it isn't a sensor). In talking with my old dealer they are not allowed to go into the axles so no matter what the cause you get a new axle.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
In talking with my old dealer they are not allowed to go into the axles so no matter what the cause you get a new axle.
You mean you get a refurbished axleā€¦.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You mean you get a refurbished axleā€¦.
Good point, they are saying new but I wouldn't be surprised if the ones that have been removed were sent somewhere and had the sensors replaced and then shipped back out.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Good point, they are saying new but I wouldn't be surprised if the ones that have been removed were sent somewhere and had the sensors replaced and then shipped back out.
Right. Somewhere in one of theee threads it was confirmed that the replacements are refurbished. (Ditto for head units, fwiw.)

I potted my sensors to avoid this mess, but, man, Iā€™m hopeful sensors become available. One of the silliest solutions to a problem Iā€™ve seen (outside of government bureaucracy).

Sponsored

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

IF they really do replace JUST THE SENSOR in the axle PLEASE LET US KNOW. Take pics of your work order and show all the info because if that sensor is now able to be ordered on it's own there are plenty of people wanting to know that.
There is another "sensor" in the axle which actually engages the locker (so technically it isn't a sensor). In talking with my old dealer they are not allowed to go into the axles so no matter what the cause you get a new axle.
I'll update here when I get the jeep back. Part "didn't come in" today as expected so they got me a rental. From what I've read here and other places I don't have high hopes they have a fix that is going to work and even worse it seems my dealer may not be familiar with this problem

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Age aside, is there a certain set of conditions that can force this to fail or does it just happen randomly? I just replaced the diff oil both front and rear and no issues thus far, but it's probably been over a year since I've used my lockers.

Reactions: TJP

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Age aside, is there a certain set of conditions that can force this to fail or does it just happen randomly? I just replaced the diff oil both front and rear and no issues thus far, but it's probably been over a year since I've used my lockers.
It is as random as it gets. Usage, age, etc... seems to have no bearing on the failure. It looks like it's the luck of the draw if you got a sensor that was properly glued together or not.

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Dont look at the sensor cockeyed. Mine went bad at 6500. Some a few days old.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
It is as random as it gets. Usage, age, etc... seems to have no bearing on the failure. It looks like it's the luck of the draw if you got a sensor that was properly glued together or not.
Dont look at the sensor cockeyed. Mine went bad at 6500. Some a few days old.
Not sure how far back this issue goes, but I still argue the very earliest JLs started on the assembly line in 2017 were somehow built better because I (and others) still haven't had any of these issues, nor have I been affected by a single recall. They need to bring back whatever crew were putting them together in the beginning.

(Of course, I say this now. Watch my locker sensors eat shit tomorrow.)

Sponsored

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Best of luck. The z auto oem harness cleared the error and got my axle locker system working again.

Not sure how far back this issue goes, but I still argue the very earliest JLs started on the assembly line in 2017 were somehow built better because I (and others) still haven't had any of these issues, nor have I been affected by a single recall. They need to bring back whatever crew were putting them together in the beginning.

(Of course, I say this now. Watch my locker sensors eat shit tomorrow.)

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Best of luck. The z auto oem harness cleared the error and got my axle locker system working again.
This is good to hear that they work. Iā€™m considering getting one as a backup but may just do my best to pot mine and hope I donā€™t drill too far.

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

So they said they did not replace a sensor after all that the axle locked message was ā€œlocked in the internal computerā€ and after doing a factory reset it was fine. I hope thatā€™s the case but I feel like this isnā€™t the last Iā€™ve seen of this issue.
Jeep Wrangler JL What happens when the axle lock sensor fails? 32BA3828-8607-4F90-8F65-CBA7A73D94DC

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
So they said they did not replace a sensor after all that the axle locked message was ā€œlocked in the internal computerā€ and after doing a factory reset it was fine. I hope thatā€™s the case but I feel like this isnā€™t the last Iā€™ve seen of this issue.
and so many of us were hopeful that maybe there's a sensor available....

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with you about the message. I don't know what it is where people think clearing the message fixes the problem. The computer flagged it for a reason and alerted you about it. I guess it's just my rant about how things aren't troubleshooted properly and it's just easier to apply a bandaid instead of getting to the root of the problem.

On a different note though...my wife did have a vehicle that (out of warranty) would almost would die at a stop sign. We brought it in, paid for them to look at it and they flashed the computer. I thought "oh great, not this again". To my surprise, that actually fixed the issue. So maybe they did fix it...

jplusk

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR

I havenā€™t read that itā€™s temp related but my sensor story went down like this -

ā€˜20 JLUR. 1 year old with 5k miles. Drove from Phx to Coronado where I was going to be renting a house for a month. Hadnā€™t engaged the lockers for several weeks and that 500 mile all highway drive somehow triggered the light to come on.

Hopped on here and saw the threads that it was likely not gonna go away.

Super disappointed since I had just started the vacation but luckily it was only a light plus lack of ability to lock and didnā€™t experience any other issues as others have.

Got home and took to dealer, 2nd or 3rd one they had seen. Ordered me a rear axle and have been good to go since. Now just waiting for it to happen againā€¦
Sponsored