Sponsored

What happens when the axle lock sensor fails?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
@mgroeger thanks again for all your help.

my locker indication error shows lock on both diff. WhenI use my taser to enable only rear or none, the status corrects itself and no error.

if I choose in taser to enable both front and rear, I now get lock symbol status on dash for both front and rear, and also now the flashing locker light on the dash.

sounds like it may be the front sensor going bad doesnt it?

I have to decide to keep unplugged, rewire to aix, or get z auto harness oem

z auto also makes a locker adapter to rubicon switch that lets you connect into the rubi switch on dash for locker that may also be an option.
Interesting. I would agree that it sounds like it's your front sensor that has gone bad. If you choose the option to turn off the lockers with the Tazer and then run your lockers to the AUX switches I would still physically disconnect that crappy sensor inside the diff and possibly even remove it. The reason is, even with the Tazer telling the computer there are no lockers, you still have a faulty device connected to your computer system. The engineer in me says that's not good.

Reactions: TJP

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I am a new / first time Jeep owner of a 2021 rubicon. I’ve had it for two weeks/ 600 miles. The day after I got it as well as once last week it has shown the lockers engaged in 2H. From what I am reading here i guess it seems like I am headed down the road of axle locker sensor failure. Since last week it seems fine. My question is two fold - has anyone else had this issue without it progressing to complete failure, and also what do to at this point. When I called the dealer they acted like they has never heard of this issue. Is there any point to bringing it in at this point a when the system is displaying the correct status? Will it have thrown any codes when it happpened? Or do I actually need it to be displaying the wrong status or the service axle light on for them to acknowledge a problem?
Is there actual TSB they have regarding this?
Thanks in advance

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
No TSB yet. No sensor available by itself either.

You can warranty it and if it is the sensor they will replace axle. Some Guys are on their 3rd axle!

Id get it diagnosed by dealer and go from there.
There is a bypass available for $170 a diff...

Good luck

I am a new / first time Jeep owner of a 2021 rubicon. I’ve had it for two weeks/ 600 miles. The day after I got it as well as once last week it has shown the lockers engaged in 2H. From what I am reading here i guess it seems like I am headed down the road of axle locker sensor failure. Since last week it seems fine. My question is two fold - has anyone else had this issue without it progressing to complete failure, and also what do to at this point. When I called the dealer they acted like they has never heard of this issue. Is there any point to bringing it in at this point a when the system is displaying the correct status? Will it have thrown any codes when it happpened? Or do I actually need it to be displaying the wrong status or the service axle light on for them to acknowledge a problem?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks in advance
Unplug the connector from the rear axle to make sure it doesn't flake out on you.
Contact @JeepCares to explain this BS you are dealing with after only 600 miles and they will get you into a dealership that knows what is going on. If your dealer has never heard of this issue by now I'm guessing they sell like 2 Jeeps a year and they aren't Rubicons.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Thanks in advance
And who knows if this issue is with the sensor or the wiring. With having 600 miles on it, it sounds like it may be less of a sensor issue and more of a wiring issue.

Unfortunately though, if you don't bring the jeep in with the light on, I'm sure they will dismiss it as a fluke and can't replicate the issue.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Unplug the connector from the rear axle to make sure it doesn't flake out on you.
Contact @JeepCares to explain this BS you are dealing with after only 600 miles and they will get you into a dealership that knows what is going on. If your dealer has never heard of this issue by now I'm guessing they sell like 2 Jeeps a year and they aren't Rubicons.
Thanks for tagging us here, mgroeger.

We're happy to look into your current concerns further, Rrr8400. Send our team a private message with more details to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
No TSB yet. No sensor available by itself either.

You can warranty it and if it is the sensor they will replace axle. Some Guys are on their 3rd axle!

Id get it diagnosed by dealer and go from there.
There is a bypass available for $170 a diff...

Good luck
Technically I'm on my 4th, shooting for a 5th soon...

• Angry

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Can you just have them add the zauto harness to be done w it?
At this point it's a goal of mine to make them spend more money on axles until they get smart and allow them to change the sensor design, and sell them individually.

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
And who knows if this issue is with the sensor or the wiring. With having 600 miles on it, it sounds like it may be less of a sensor issue and more of a wiring issue.

Unfortunately though, if you don't bring the jeep in with the light on, I'm sure they will dismiss it as a fluke and can't replicate the issue.
@mgroeger Thanks for the suggestions. Both jeepcares and the dealer service manager have told me that unless I bring it in while it is occuring they can't really do anything. So I guess fingers crossed it either never happens again or persists so that it can be documented.

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

So it happened again today for the first time in 2 weeks... the only thing that changed is the temperature outside -- it was in the 30's this am. It was colder the last time it happened also. This afternoon its back to normal after it warmed up. Anyone have any ambient temperature related issues with the sensors?

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
So it happened again today for the first time in 2 weeks... the only thing that changed is the temperature outside -- it was in the 30's this am. It was colder the last time it happened also. This afternoon its back to normal after it warmed up. Anyone have any ambient temperature related issues with the sensors?
Again this am on a chilly morning... seems to be temp related. Not sure if this is the same problem that leads to eventual axle replacement or something different. Guess I will have to find a cold morning to see if I can bring it into the dealer so they can see it happening.

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Again this am on a chilly morning... seems to be temp related. Not sure if this is the same problem that leads to eventual axle replacement or something different. Guess I will have to find a cold morning to see if I can bring it into the dealer so they can see it happening.
So it stayed on over the weekend when it was warm/hot so that theory seems unfounded now.

Took it into the dealer today when it was actually on. Just heard back and they said it was due to a bad sensor, but they have one coming in the morning and can replace it. So is there another sensor plan to failure aside from the one that cannot be replaced separately and requires the entire axle to be replaced? Or does this dealer/tech not know what they are talking about?

I guess I will find out tomorrow.
Sponsored