Sponsored

What happens when the axle lock sensor fails?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately thread got hijacked a bit and I'm still not sure what I should do if I get the service axle locker system light and I'm in the middle of the desert. It looks like the worst case is I can still drive out with one of the axles locked. Would disconnecting the electronics to the diffs allow the axle to unlock so it could be driven on pavement? If I get the service axle locker system message and I don't activate the locker switch, can I drive the Jeep in 2H,4H and 4L without fear the lockers will self engage? If the dealer can't get me in for service or I'm waiting for parts, can I still drive the Jeep and use 4H and 4L if I don't activate the lockers? As you can see I'm confused as to how the sensor and activator interact in the diff.

The safest thing you can do when you start to get the axle locker fail warning on your dash is go out to the rear diff and unplug the harness from it. It will take about 30 seconds to do this. You will not be able to use either locker at that point BUT they also will not be able to completely flake out and engage on their own.
Then get your butt to a dealer to have it fixed. You're over thinking this.
In normal operation you can use just the rear or the rear and front together. You can never use just the front, so that option is never on the table for a stock Rubi.

I'd be happy to chat if you want more info. Just PM me and I'll give you my cell number.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So...what exactly is this sensor doing? I know there is a speed limitation on the locker engaging and staying engaged. So is it a simple speed sensor?
The sensor is reading if the locker is engaged. When the diff fluid gets inside the sensor it flakes out the little circuit board in there and confuses the computer and it can't tell if the locker is engaged or not. So the computer shuts it all down and says no lockers till this gets fixed. OR if you are like the lucky few of us the computer locks the axle in 2H.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
No sure about that, but the PCB is fully exposed and the unit is not sealed (or not sealed very well) and gear oil seeps in either through the power connector or the cover. Once the module has completely filled, it eventually shorts out when initialized. Since the module is not available separately, the owner has 4 choices:

1. Live with it.
2. Pursue FCA for an axle replacement which is a band-aid since the new module is not sealed either.
3. Pot the modules before they fail.
4. Look at using the Z Automotive "bypass harness", though I cannot tell if it just fools the computer and shuts off the warning message or if it actually brings the axle back into normal operation. With that said, there have been reports here that the harness did not work.
You have the link to the thread for puotting the sensor? Not happy about having to wrench on my NEW Jeep while there's plenty of neglect concerning my old ones, but if it saves me from constant battles at the dealership....

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately thread got hijacked a bit and I'm still not sure what I should do if I get the service axle locker system light and I'm in the middle of the desert. It looks like the worst case is I can still drive out with one of the axles locked. Would disconnecting the electronics to the diffs allow the axle to unlock so it could be driven on pavement? If I get the service axle locker system message and I don't activate the locker switch, can I drive the Jeep in 2H,4H and 4L without fear the lockers will self engage? If the dealer can't get me in for service or I'm waiting for parts, can I still drive the Jeep and use 4H and 4L if I don't activate the lockers? As you can see I'm confused as to how the sensor and activator interact in the diff.
Hijacked? Heck, we're just trying to engineer a solution that JTE can't seem to come up with. 😁

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
You have the link to the thread for puotting the sensor? Not happy about having to wrench on my NEW Jeep while there's plenty of neglect concerning my old ones, but if it saves me from constant battles at the dealership....
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/

PS...I see that @mgroeger beat me to it. Believe me, I was more than a little apprehensive doing mine and I had wanted a small tabletop drill press for a while and this project forced me to buy it. I did not trust my self to free hand drill those modules. You can see my experience doing it in the same thread.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/

PS...I see that @mgroeger beat me to it. Believe me, I was more than a little apprehensive doing mine and I had wanted a small tabletop drill press for a while and this project forced me to buy it. I did not trust my self to free hand drill those modules. You can see my experience doing it in the same thread.
Is that you with the busted glove thumb hole? I guess if it wasn't for cheap latex, I wouldn't be here today.

Edit: nope, that wasn't you. Couldnt find your pics. Search function kept kicking me back out to the point I gave up looking.

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So did anyone definitively answer if this is a bumper to bumper warranty item or a power train one? I’d think power train, but you never know. Asking for a friend who’s approaching 30K miles...

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
So did anyone definitively answer if this is a bumper to bumper warranty item or a power train one? I’d think power train, but you never know. Asking for a friend who’s approaching 30K miles...
This would be under the powertrain.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Im showing a lock over each front and rear diff, but they are not locked. The button to lock works sometimes, and unlocks as well but does not show updated status.

sounds like sensors going right?

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
Sounds like we all should have bought the Willys model instead of the Rubicon lol!

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. But then again, the Willys has the LSD in the rear which seems to also have problems. Plus, the 4.10 gears are so much better to have over the 3.45s. I'm hoping this sensor issue is not as common as it seems on the forum. Also, Jeep sells a lot of Rubicon's. I can't imagine that they will need to replace full axle/diffs on a high percentage of them without coming up with a simpler solution.
Sponsored