Sponsored

What happens when Sirius XM free trial concludes?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

Hi,
I have been wondering how gracefully my free one year trial of Sirius XM will conclude.

Is it going to automatically turn off at the one year mark, or will some sort of automated billing begin to occur?

I never registered an account with Sirius, but wonder if my dealer passed along billing info when my Jeep's system was initially activated.

Does it just go away or should I be prepared to contact Sirius XM to confirm the discontinuation?

Thank you!
Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
For the vehicles we’ve bought that included SXM service, it just shut off once our free trial was over. Your dealership sharing any of your financial information with anyone outside of your approval would be highly illegal.

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)

Hi,
I have been wondering how gracefully my free one year trial of Sirius XM will conclude.

Is it going to automatically turn off at the one year mark, or will some sort of automated billing begin to occur?

I never registered an account with Sirius, but wonder if my dealer passed along billing info when my Jeep's system was initially activated.

Does it just go away or should I be prepared to contact Sirius XM to confirm the discontinuation?

Thank you!
Mine expired recently, February 8th, It just stops working and I had created a Sirius/XM account. Got a multitude of offers to extend for low rates, in email and snail mail. Still receiving emails that i have lost my safety services. My Jeep is quite safe in my garage, I think I'll not worry.

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
Mine ended after a year and I did not renew. I think for about 6 months or so after that Sirius wore me out over signing back up. I never did, but it was super annoying while they were trying to retain me.

If you like it, you should keep it going. If not, let it run out and dont worry about it

Stetson

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
It just turns off and SiriusXM harasses you to sign up until your dead. Then they harass your surviving family.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
gracefully
Sirius XM
The latter cancels out the former, in my experience.

The recurring renewal solicitation letters, first printed on white paper and then yellow, began to arrive well in advance of my wife's 6 month Sirius trial expiring. The per-month pricing offer began to contract in a manner mirroring the shift in paper color, also.

The fine print on said letters was pretty assertive, also, in terms of how proactive -- or stubborn -- Sirius would be once they were in possession of your credit card data (re: automatic renewals.)

I experienced a similar marketing blitz when my trial period was approaching its end date, also. A rep actually called me with their pitch, asking why I didn't want to renew. I gave them an honest and frankly un-PC accounting of my reasons why their channel list left me unimpressed. That shut them down; no more letters or phone calls after that point.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
SiriusXM is one of the worst spammers I've experienced. Even before the 1 year free trial expired, they started emailing and snail mailing me offers (some phone calls too). I actually called them to let them know that I was not interested.

Their snail mail junk still comes every now and then. At least the frequency has finally lessened now. My shredder is not as busy.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I called them and told them it was only worth $5/month to me paid annually. I have them on my calendar to call the week before the annual renewal to repeat the same offer. They have done it so far and it's worth $5/ month to me. You do have to be careful or they will auto renew you at some obscene monthly rate. Have a friend who sends them a check every year with the statement that acceptance renews him for 1 year. So far they haven't shut him down either.

Sponsored

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
It expires, the radio simply says your subscription is expired, and then... nothing.

As far as SXM is concerned, I have had it for years on various vehicles. When I bought the JL, I transferred the subscription I had from the car to my wife's cherokee, since I figured, eventually I will transfer it back when my new JL sub runs out. I spent about an hour on the phone with the Sirius folks doing the transfer at the end of which I had the radio in her vehicle enabled, and a second portable radio for free with a 3-month trial. Being that this was prior to getting the JL, I installed the portable radio in my TJ and had three months free service in that vehicle... then got the JL delivered. Now that it's run out in the JL... not sure what I will do I may just leave it as is..

Comments above about negotiable... indeed you can get a deal (every year when your subscription is due) just by calling them and telling them in person that you want to cancel. Usually, they will try to negotiate you to stay by giving you some % off.

Opinions on the service aside, if you do find stations you like it's really nice that you can travel long distances without ever having to find a new station. Downside is that ultimately it's only ever one station you settle on and you gotta ask yourself if it's worth the cost.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Hi,

Thank you!
They won’t charge your account unless you give them a credit card number.

They will flood your mail box with special deals, though, to get you to subscribe.

I made the mistake of subscribing to Sirius years ago. It was the most frustrating thing to get them to stop. They have the worst customer service on planet earth —or orbiting earth for that matter.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
There’s a difference between SiriusXM Radio, and SiriusXM Guardian. You don't need one to have the other. There's two options with Radio. 1) Basic 2) Adds sports and talk shows and the SiriusXM Radio App. There is several options with guardian. 1) Convenience 2) Security 3)Remote app 4) Assist

Radio is garbage to me. I like the Remote App to find locations I want to go to on my phone and send it to my Jeeps navigation, but they want $12.99 / MO just for that.

On a side note, the ATT WiFi is really slow.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
SXM can become a little more complex with adding Nav Traffic and Travel Link. We plan on traveling a lot this Spring, so I will retain SXM music, Nav Traffic, SiriusXM Guardian and Travel Link.

Also, my trial AT&T Wi-Fi in car Hotspot has expired, so I bought the unlimited AT&T data for 1 year. However, there is a serious disconnect at AT&T because even though I am good now for one year, they send me 4, yes that's right, 4 emails everyday saying they want me back. I have to wonder about AT&T. Don't the various departments communicate with each other? After all, AT&T is a communications company, right?

In addition, our Escalade also has OnStar, SXM music, Travel Link and Nav Traffic so it all adds up. Plus, I pay for SXM on my daughter's Equinox. Thinking about a part time french fry job at McDonalds to pay for all of this. 🤣

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
SXM can become a little more complex with adding Nav Traffic and Travel Link. We plan on traveling a lot this Spring, so I will retain SXM music, Nav Traffic, SiriusXM Guardian and Travel Link.

Also, my trial AT&T Wi-Fi in car Hotspot has expired, so I bought the unlimited AT&T data for 1 year. However, there is a serious disconnect at AT&T because even though I am good now for one year, they send me 4, yes that's right, 4 emails everyday saying they want me back. I have to wonder about AT&T. Don't the various departments communicate with each other? After all, AT&T is a communications company, right?

In addition, our Escalade also has OnStar, SXM music, Travel Link and Nav Traffic so it all adds up. Plus, I pay for SXM on my daughter's Equinox. Thinking about a part time french fry job at McDonalds to pay for all of this. 🤣
@calemasters

I interstate travel a lot and I mean a lot....

I found that the way overly priced.... SirriusXM, Nav Traffic and Travel Link... Weather, are pure crapola compared to using all that is offered.... gathered on the smartphone....

.......and AT&T .... you are better off just having an unlimited plan on your smartphone..

Yes, at about $5 a month, I do keep XM "Select".

SiriusXM Guardian ... Laughable at that price or at any price..

Anyway, Nav Traffic and Travel Link.... yuk, but also crapola is the factory NAV... No way does it compare to Google Maps and or Waze fed to the JL's radio.
Sponsored

Last edited: