Sponsored

What happened to the new inline 6 that FCA was supposedly working on?

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
My searches find some hits from 2019 but not much in 2020/2021. Are they still working on? I read it was going to be based on the 2.0, adding a couple more cylinders and use it in the new GW and most other vehicles replacing a number of engines including the Pentastar 3.6. They going to have many tunes to fit all kinds of vehicles from RAM 1500, Wrangler, GW, etc
Will it be ready for 2022 I wonder or maybe with a mid-production run update in 2023?
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
My searches find some hits from 2019 but not much in 2020/2021. Are they still working on? ...
They might be holding back for the Bronco to publish numbers and get units on the road, so Jeep can one-up them.

I can't think of any other good reasons, just the possibility that they ditched it.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
They might be holding back for the Bronco to publish numbers and get units on the road, so Jeep can one-up them.

I can't think of any other good reasons, just the possibility that they ditched it.
I don't think this engine is really about the Wrangler.

Look at the new Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer. They only offer them with V8s. The Wagoneer only has one engine option (5.7).

Look at the Rams and Grand Cherokee. Either the venerable V6 or V8 options.

They really need a turbo 6 for the whole lineup of larger vehicles.

My guess is it has gotten stalled for tech reasons or due to the merger. This is one place where PSA can't help. They don't have anything this big.

They either need to come up with a competitive, efficient engine in this class or jump all the way to electrification.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So many manufacturers are going to purely electric, ICE is being banned in most, if not all, countries by 2035, so maybe not worth the millions to develop and bring to an extinct market.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Several automakers were plnning to go this route: a 2.0 4-cyl, a 3.0 6-cyl and a 4.0 8-cyl. Sharing a common block promised cost efficiencies in development, manufacturing and assembly, and improved quality.

Land Rover got to develop the 2.0 and 3.0; VW has the 2.0; I don't know if they got the 3.0. FCA got only the 2.0.

At this point all development is going towards electric motors and such. I doubt anyone is planning to develop any new ICEs any more.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
My searches find some hits from 2019 but not much in 2020/2021. Are they still working on? I read it was going to be based on the 2.0, adding a couple more cylinders and use it in the new GW and most other vehicles replacing a number of engines including the Pentastar 3.6. They going to have many tunes to fit all kinds of vehicles from RAM 1500, Wrangler, GW, etc
Will it be ready for 2022 I wonder or maybe with a mid-production run update in 2023?
If anything was going to replace the 3.6, it'd be the existing 2.0, but the only reason it's still hanging on is because the 2.0 can't handle towing in vehicles such as the Gladiator and RAM 1500.

So many manufacturers are going to purely electric, ICE is being banned in most, if not all, countries by 2035, so maybe not worth the millions to develop and bring to an extinct market.
Countries are proposing banning ICE vehicles, but since they're not considering the need to replace infrastructure at a scale that makes gas stations obsolete and the use of a gas pump less convenient and slower than charging a vehicle battery, such bans actually taking effect on their target date is still speculative at best.
Sponsored