Sponsored

What happened to locking hubs?

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Getting back to being a Jeep owner with a JL on order.I have been reading to bring myself up to speed with today's tech as it has been a few years. Reading on the move to ESS to improve mileage, I have to ask what ever happened to locking hubs? Seems you would have a lot less rotational parts creating drag and a much simpler and stronger front axle than one wit an internal system.
Sponsored

Sponsored

Lone Eagle

First Name
PL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red JLUR
Manual locking hubs in the dead of winter when they are frozen or when you are knee deep in mud and stuck are not the best system to have around. I do not think its laziness, technology just evolves and systems get better.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
They went out with Flip-phones ;)

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Yes I’m with you I miss my old manual locking hubs very much but it’s not hard to know why. You can read many people are complaining about their proximity remote is not working fast enough when they walk up to their jeep ! that should give you an idea of why.
Lock out hubs would also yield the best fuel mileage but laziness supersedes it.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I remember locking hubs. Here's a thought - if we had locking hubs, it wouldn't hurt to lock them and drive in 2 Hi normally, because that is how we are driving anyway, right? So if it is looking like its going to snow, why not lock your hubs anyway, then if you need to go to 4WD you don't need to get out?

I do remember on snowy hills seeing several people out locking their hubs ;)

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I remember my dad climbing out of his '68 bronco and somehow getting around to the locking hubs in the middle of a pit of mud without getting dirty. Fun times.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Manual locking hubs in the dead of winter when they are frozen or when you are knee deep in mud and stuck are not the best system to have around. I do not think its laziness, technology just evolves and systems get better.
This. Manual hubs are ancient technology.

OP
OP
Nutmeg

Nutmeg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Well that explains it, I still have a flip phone!!:LOL: Guess I was just lucky enough to never of had a mud hole sneak up on me. Understand new tech but having a vehicle that shuts off at lights, needs a buried second battery, is always turning both cv joints and the spider gears compared to having a set of ancient Warn hubs....:beer: :beer: I do however appreciate what has been done to improve the capabilities and creature comfort of today's product compared to yesteryear's.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score