Sponsored

What happened to Insane Audio's JL3001 head unit?

SimpleAce

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I am too waiting on reviews of this unit, would be nice just kinda dont like the design of the buttons.
Sponsored

Shotgecko

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door sport
I'm so close to buying this. I just need a "do it".

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 F150
Hold off for now....

I'm having a few issues with mine, trying to resolve with insane audio.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Hold off for now....

I'm having a few issues with mine, trying to resolve with insane audio.
Thanks because I am so close too

JLUinMI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Just swapped out the base 5” OEM radio with the JL3001 in my 2020 JLU Sport. Install was straight forward, all connections were plug and play. The graphics and screen are bright and crisp. Nice Nav unit, reacts fast to inputs and finding destinations. Backup camera is clear and works like OEM. The factory USB ports below the unit and in console work. At 45W per channel it has a lot more volume than the OEM 5” unit. More than enough power to distort the sound from the factory speakers if you crank the volume. Overall experience with it thus far is positive. Good upgrade over the base 5” unit.

0E90EE96-BD59-4DBA-A5D1-AFA221B6A3D2.jpeg

C8CD5833-95F3-46E1-BC36-327DF41D4FC8.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
Just swapped out the base 5” OEM radio with the JL3001 in my 2020 JLU Sport. Install was straight forward, all connections were plug and play. The graphics and screen are bright and crisp. Nice Nav unit, reacts fast to inputs and finding destinations. Backup camera is clear and works like OEM. The factory USB ports below the unit and in console work. At 45W per channel it has a lot more volume than the OEM 5” unit. More than enough power to distort the sound from the factory speakers if you crank the volume. Overall experience with it thus far is positive. Good upgrade over the base 5” unit.
Thanks for the update JLUinMI. Sounds like you have no issues. :clap:

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 F150
My issues seem to have been resolved. Spent about an hour on the phone Wednesday night with one of their engineers
Going to monitor it for a few more days to be sure

I will post up a full review next week

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
To those that have it, when/if you do write a review, I'm interested in knowing a couple things about it if you don't mind:
  1. If you had issues, how is their support?
  2. How quickly does it boot up?
  3. How's the glare / off-axis viewing angle?
  4. [Edit] does it use the factory microphone or one built-in to it?

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 F150
I'll answer those now

1) there support is, well... Different. There is NO PHONE NUMBER to call. It's done by email initially. Which is kind of annoying, to have to wait for replies. Although, they are fairly quick to answer(multiple replies per day). But then if it can't be solved via email they schedule a call with an engineer. But they are in California and I'm in Massachusetts so it was at 8pm.
The engineer that called me was absolutely great! He knew his stuff. Very friendly and helpful. Had me fixed up in about an hour.

2) it boots basically instantly. Way faster then the factory uconnect. T
another 20-30 second to automatically connect to my BT & HOTSPOT. (that could be different for others depending on their phone)

3) no glare at all yet... But it's winter and the top is on.. there may be some with the top off

4) it has a built in BT mic and they supply a second wired one that you can choose to use or not. I installed it, assuming (I could be wrong) the BT one may not be up to the task come summer wind noise when the top/doors are off.

Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
All great to know, thanks! I don't know the size of their company, but if it's smaller (like mine), I understand not giving out phone numbers immediately. People can be... needy, and they typically don't value other people's time. I can't tell you the number of times I've been woken up by a client who just couldn't remember how to do something they've done a dozen times sober.

ArthurMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'll answer those now

1) there support is, well... Different. There is NO PHONE NUMBER to call. It's done by email initially. Which is kind of annoying, to have to wait for replies. Although, they are fairly quick to answer(multiple replies per day). But then if it can't be solved via email they schedule a call with an engineer. But they are in California and I'm in Massachusetts so it was at 8pm.
The engineer that called me was absolutely great! He knew his stuff. Very friendly and helpful. Had me fixed up in about an hour.

2) it boots basically instantly. Way faster then the factory uconnect. T
another 20-30 second to automatically connect to my BT & HOTSPOT. (that could be different for others depending on their phone)

3) no glare at all yet... But it's winter and the top is on.. there may be some with the top off

4) it has a built in BT mic and they supply a second wired one that you can choose to use or not. I installed it, assuming (I could be wrong) the BT one may not be up to the task come summer wind noise when the top/doors are off.
I may have missed it but I haven't seen this expressly stated...

5. Can you still access the factory vehicle settings for options such as lights, doors and locks, etc?

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 F150
5 ) SOME. ... lighting and door lock options are present.
Contrary to what I was told in my emails with them (prior to ordering) not all features are there. Things like programing factory AUX switches, heated seats/wheel on below 40*. I haven't made a list of what is/isn't there but those are examples.

When I was on the phone with the engineer I asked about this. .. they are all coming with a software update, time frame unsure, but he said probably spring/summer.

How ever existing settings stay set. I had my auto heated seats set to on and they still come on below 40

ArthurMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
5 ) SOME. ... lighting and door lock options are present.
Contrary to what I was told in my emails with them (prior to ordering) not all features are there. Things like programing factory AUX switches, heated seats/wheel on below 40*. I haven't made a list of what is/isn't there but those are examples.

When I was on the phone with the engineer I asked about this. .. they are all coming with a software update, time frame unsure, but he said probably spring/summer.

How ever existing settings stay set. I had my auto heated seats set to on and they still come on below 40
Thanks! I'm rockin a 18 JLU Sport S so lighting and door lock options are about all I got :D

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
I don't have factory aux switches, but I've been looking into USB solid state relays, and I should be able to get those/program them in pretty easily if there's an extra port in the back.
Sponsored