Sponsored

What happened to Insane Audio's JL3001 head unit?

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
So I got my hu in finally. First things I notice which I kinda expected. Wired CarPlay sucks. Sh*t ton of wires to hide. Exaggerated logo and buttons are a little to big.
On the pros side: great looking radio al together. Functionality is A+! Eq actually makes a huge difference. Good thing I replaced all my dash speakers The sound bar sounds like crap now! Am a bit lost in navigating the system cause it’s been a good 3 phones since my last android! But so far so good. Couldn’t be happier! Reverse works but is extremely out of adjustment. CarPlay wired works. Can’t figure out how to make wireless work if it’s supposed to. Eq did need some adjustment unless you have the upgraded system this is really going to rip your factory system to pieces. Load up is about the same as the factory but Bluetooth loads right up. Just gotta toy with apps and connectivity now!
Sponsored

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I just installed this radio today.

Has anyone else had any problems with the Bluetooth and zlink being really inconsistent auto-connecting when starting your Jeep?

If it's been longer than a minute, when I start the jeep, nothing connects. If I turn of the Jeep so the radio shuts off, then start it right back up quickly, everything connects no problem.

If I turn off the Jeep, go in the house for a minute then come back out, when I start the Jeep nothing connects. Again, if I shut it off and restart, connects no problem.

Runt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara
I don't use zlink as it pertains to iPhone (I believe), unless I'm wong and missing out.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl

Has anyone else had any problems with the Bluetooth and zlink being really inconsistent auto-connecting when starting your Jeep?

If it's been longer than a minute, when I start the jeep, nothing connects. If I turn of the Jeep so the radio shuts off, then start it right back up quickly, everything connects no problem.

If I turn off the Jeep, go in the house for a minute then come back out, when I start the Jeep nothing connects. Again, if I shut it off and restart, connects no problem.
I use zlink with my xs max. I find it responsive to my phone. It took about 10 minutes to recognize at first but now it connects automatically. If I connect someone else’s phone like my girlfriends phone it takes a really long time to where it seems like it’ll never connect. She’s up to date on software as well as me. I noticed my hotspot disconnects every 3 minutes with my iPhone and read it is an iPhone issue and not the radio. Idk what the cause is probably software related. I usually hook up a link with Bluetooth on only. I would try stopping the auto connect for wifi aswell. Only auto connect Bluetooth. That worked for my phone at first just playing with my phone a lot.

Last edited:

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl

Here’s what I found on there forum

First and foremost, you'll need to have CarPlay turned on within your iPhone. By default, when your iPhone connects to Bluetooth then it will automatically switch over to wireless CarPlay. This may change in the future, though. Keep reading this post and you'll see why.

Behind the scenes, a few things are going on. Wireless CarPlay actually uses BOTH bluetooth and WiFi. So that means that you cannot use your iPhones hotspot at the same time as wireless CarPlay. iPhones curretnly don't have the ability to connect to a WiFi network and also broadcast a hotspot. At least not yet. So just know that once you connect to wireless CarPlay that your hotspot will be disconnected.

Note that on some (but not all) versions of iOS, you may also need to manually connect to a WiFi network in order for wireless CarPlay to work. This may also depend on your iPhone settings but if your iPhone doesn't connect right away, try connecting to a WiFi network named AndroidAP_3270 and that should do the trick.

Sponsored

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I figured it out. If I leave my iPhone cord plugged into the jeep's usb slot, the radio will not connect to my phone at all (Bluetooth or apple CarPlay). I don't know why. It appears the radio thinks a device is plugged in even if it's just the cord. If the cord is not plugged in, everything connects wirelessly just fine.

What's also strange, once everything connects wirelessly, I can then plug in the cord and plug it into my iPhone, and everything remains connected wirelessly.

It seems like it's just making that initial connection with the cord in. Maybe it's a software glitch.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
I figured it out. If I leave my iPhone cord plugged into the jeep's usb slot, the radio will not connect to my phone at all (Bluetooth or apple CarPlay). I don't know why. It appears the radio thinks a device is plugged in even if it's just the cord. If the cord is not plugged in, everything connects wirelessly just fine.

What's also strange, once everything connects wirelessly, I can then plug in the cord and plug it into my iPhone, and everything remains connected wirelessly.

It seems like it's just making that initial connection with the cord in. Maybe it's a software glitch.
I find the wireless CarPlay a little finicky. So far the biggest problem I’ve had is connectivity between phones( switching from one to the other) with Apple car play. The wait time for connection can take up to 15 minutes so far. And it’s a lot of turn this off and on and turn that off and on. But I’m happy with Bluetooth, Spotify, etc. connecting my iphones hotspot is a huge pain in the ass thanks to apples updates and it’s making think about getting a Samsung product or a plug in hotspot in the glove box. I like the CarPlay feature and it works well with one phone once connected it’s almost a few seconds and it works. I just think it’s mostly apple related to why these things don’t function well. Apple does not play well with friends!

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
just curious to hear from those that have installed the HU, how do you like it? has anything come up that is frustrating or annoying? would you recommend it?

Runt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara
I absolutely love it!!! But honestly, I still haven't explored everything it can do. It's basically installing a tablet as your head unit.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
I absolutely love it!!! But honestly, I still haven't explored everything it can do. It's basically installing a tablet as your head unit.
Best explanation you can get. Unlimited options except netflix... personally I have cinema and firestick apps on mine. But is exactly that a 9 inch tablet. Eq is great does the job. Apps and functionality work pretty well. Just a little glitchy when multiple apps/ apple CarPlay are in use like any other android

Sponsored

Runt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara
Netflix works.... You just have to use an older version of it that is linked on their forum.
Go to forum, search Netflix and thank me later.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Netflix works.... You just have to use an older version of it that is linked on their forum.
Go to forum, search Netflix and thank me later.
Cool. Thanks. Was going to look into it but does it work properly and are new movies and shows on it?

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
What’s up guys. So u went out and bought a micro sd card. It’s a 256. Mainly for my music. I followed the forum to extract my iTunes library but with no luck as the radio will not pick up anything as a playable file only word file. Can anyone direct me to the proper formatting process on a Windows 10. And has anyone done this successfully. Been a while since I downloaded music to anything
Sponsored