Sponsored

What happened to Insane Audio's JL3001 head unit?

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
This looks like a better deal than the alpine. I am curious why the Alpine needs waaaay more parts and working than this one. Anyone have any ideas why?
IMO there’s no reason to buy this radio over any other 7-9 inch radio out there it’s all the same plus a re-dash kit and off road maps. Metra sells there red ash for under 100$. Here’s the features from alpines list vs. Insanes. Insanes took 3 screen shots and that’s not including the 3.8 million apps. And you could probably run kodi and other movie streams on it. Why pay 3k for a radio when you can spend 1400 on a tablet built into your car with endless capabilities?

68A7235C-DF6F-46F2-99D4-04550D1956CC.png

87C988F2-0D2B-4B41-AAEB-39F52B855991.png

D9827C07-561F-4570-AFA7-A3DFEBAF1DBB.png

15BD4731-EE0C-45ED-B147-B5AC8BDFD09B.png
Sponsored

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
The only 1up I found for the alpine unit that may make a better deal is the functionality of 8 programable aux switches on radio. ( do note discussions with insane say they may be looking into it according to some members)

3D3187A3-0694-4CE5-A433-9945892B6B04.png

GregMG79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd
Occupation
Construction Manager
The only 1up I found for the alpine unit that may make a better deal is the functionality of 8 programable aux switches on radio. ( do note discussions with insane say they may be looking into it according to some members)

3D3187A3-0694-4CE5-A433-9945892B6B04.png
Thanks and I agree. Just asking if anyone has any idea why the alpine has so much more to connect and wire in for the install vs the Insane Audio.

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Just finished my install! Lots of stuff I didn't use in the box. Not sure what the little speaker thing is for. But overall looks great. Now I just need to figure out how to use it. Insane Nav is pretty cool, and I don't need to use Android auto since I just hotspot it.

Any tips and tricks on how to use it or preferred aps???

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Thanks and I agree. Just asking if anyone has any idea why the alpine has so much more to connect and wire in for the install vs the Insane Audio.
If I had to guess as a first responder is they have more integration per the 8 aux switches and off-road maps.

Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
So I had something written up about trying to retain more OEM-functionality and everything takes space and there's tradeoffs with what you can shove in a small box and crap like that... Then I looked closer at Alpine, and I honestly don't know what they did.

upload_2020-4-20_22-46-40.png

It's like they decided to make a modular headunit with 3-5 modules spread around the dash. Or, more likely, they took a bunch of components they already had, realized they made too big of a box, and, instead of redesigning them to be more compact, decided to spend their time finding a way to make them fit scattered around the front end of a car with extra cables and brackets. Is anything even built-in to the display?

As you can see from that drawing, one extra thing is an actual XM tuner, while XM on InsaneAudio is with a data connection and an app.

I don't understand why they need a completely different box for the OEM camera; if it were a module capable of a full birds-eye camera system, that would make sense, but it isn't as far as I can tell. I would think this should be built-in to the "source" unit.

InsaneAudio is an actual computer that talks with / listens to the CAN bus directly; Alpine isn't, and they use the Maestro module to achieve this (I believe). I don't know enough about iDataLink Maestro to know if it's achieving anything else than CAN (and thus uConnect) integration. Alpine does have better uConnect integration than InsaneAudio at present.

N.C. Jeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Real Estate- I can help you buy or sell anywhere!
Tagged for possible future purchase. Looks promising for sure.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Just finished my install! Lots of stuff I didn't use in the box. Not sure what the little speaker thing is for. But overall looks great. Now I just need to figure out how to use it. Insane Nav is pretty cool, and I don't need to use Android auto since I just hotspot it.

Any tips and tricks on how to use it or preferred aps???
Little speaker is for parking sensor audio.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
So I had something written up about trying to retain more OEM-functionality and everything takes space and there's tradeoffs with what you can shove in a small box and crap like that... Then I looked closer at Alpine, and I honestly don't know what they did.

upload_2020-4-20_22-46-40.png

It's like they decided to make a modular headunit with 3-5 modules spread around the dash. Or, more likely, they took a bunch of components they already had, realized they made too big of a box, and, instead of redesigning them to be more compact, decided to spend their time finding a way to make them fit scattered around the front end of a car with extra cables and brackets. Is anything even built-in to the display?

As you can see from that drawing, one extra thing is an actual XM tuner, while XM on InsaneAudio is with a data connection and an app.

I don't understand why they need a completely different box for the OEM camera; if it were a module capable of a full birds-eye camera system, that would make sense, but it isn't as far as I can tell. I would think this should be built-in to the "source" unit.

InsaneAudio is an actual computer that talks with / listens to the CAN bus directly; Alpine isn't, and they use the Maestro module to achieve this (I believe). I don't know enough about iDataLink Maestro to know if it's achieving anything else than CAN (and thus uConnect) integration. Alpine does have better uConnect integration than InsaneAudio at present.
The info I was missing. And to chime in the alpine unit has add one not included in the price.. which is already expensive as is. I did not know it took that many add ons and space. Bad enough we run light bars with more wires and etc. just ram that radio alone is too much wired for me

Bobby Boucher

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2-Door JL
Thanks for the great posts about the JL3001. I'm ready to pull the trigger.

One remaining question ... is the FM radio HD capable ?

I may have missed it in the specifications.

Thanks ...

Sponsored

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 F150
I'm actually not sure. I haven't used fm radio since day 1. All my time is spent with Sirius, Spotify and Pandora

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 F150
We were talking about support for the factory aux switches...Wich is allegedly coming in a future update, but no time frame.... (As of a phone conversation back in December)

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
We were talking about support for the factory aux switches...Wich is allegedly coming in a future update, but no time frame.... (As of a phone conversation back in December)
Yeah I know but I just posted this as it’s there response for now if you want them.
Sponsored