Sponsored

What happened to Insane Audio's JL3001 head unit?

jessedoesitall

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Stuff
Vehicle Showcase
yeah there are 3 settings but the grid needs to be pushed out farther I did let them know about it and they will check it out

they sent me a cable to bypass the oem sockets which I haven’t installed yet as it requires pulling the unit again

they said some JL have USB ports which aren’t fast enough and they probably can’t fix it using the OEM ports so sounds like the software fix they are working on will kill those for data and you will need to use one of the units extra USB ports
I thought it had wireless CarPlay?
Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I thought it had wireless CarPlay?
Someone mentioned there's a software bug with it.
I found that both wireless and wired CarPlay did not work. Immediate reply from Insane Audio was that a software bug was was causing an issue with wireless CarPlay and the they were hoping to resolve via an update to the JL3001 within the next several weeks.
In programming lingo, 'several weeks' means 'we think this will be resolved this quarter or next. But definitely this year. We hope.'

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Wireless CarPlay is coming so far they have been fairly quick to respond to my emails and wired CarPlay does not work for me they say some Jeeps the USB ports don't have enough speed and they are working on a fix they did send me a cable as a work around but Im going to wait for wireless

newjerseyjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
are they the same for sound bar and dash?
I just put these speakers in yesterday. I can confirm they are plug and play, fit the soundbar and the top of the dash, take all of twenty minutes to install, and definitely improve the sound in the car.

You'll need a short handled phillips screwdriver, and the screws in the soundbar speaker are torxbit. the cover of the sound bar speaker is a hex key. all available at walmart if they aren't in your toolbox already.

Next step is a small powered subwoofer.

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I just put these speakers in yesterday. I can confirm they are plug and play, fit the soundbar and the top of the dash, take all of twenty minutes to install, and definitely improve the sound in the car
So when you say plug and play, they literally just plugged right into the factory wire harnesses? You didn't have to wire anything?

Sponsored

jessedoesitall

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Stuff
Vehicle Showcase
Install was super easy my only problem is CarPlay doesn’t work but they are working on it and sent me a work around as they say some Jeeps USB ports are slow
Do they mean 2018 as ‘some jeeps”?

cwmartin59

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU. I have the 5 inch radio and decided to take the plunge and ordered the Insane Audio JL3001. I will post the results of when I receive and install the unit.

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
I’m in the same boat as many on here with the crappy 5” screen. I’ve read every post on here and just have some follow up questions. I’ll also be emailing the company with these questions. Many thanks in advance. My wife hates this head unit compared to her 2014 Subaru so she’s all on board with swapping it IF it works. On to the questions:

1. Does the Bluetooth support multiple devices being stored?
2. What’s the current status of CarPlay?
3. What’s the wattage and RMS?
4. Does it have rca connections for a sub or anything like that?
5. The phone WiFi, is that just for updating apps? Please explain the use of that.
6. I’m assuming I can Bluetooth connect my phone and play audio over that?
7. When the unit starts up will it automatically connect to the last Bluetooth device and switch over to it? The current stock unit doesn’t do that and it bugs me.
8. Backup camera: does it show the backup lines along with trailer hitch location like the stock unit?

Thanks

Sponsored

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
4. Does it have rca connections for a sub or anything like that?
5. The phone WiFi, is that just for updating apps? Please explain the use of that.
6. I’m assuming I can Bluetooth connect my phone and play audio over that?
7. When the unit starts up will it automatically connect to the last Bluetooth device and switch over to it? The current stock unit doesn’t do that and it bugs me.
4. Yes
5. If there is a wifi hotspot present (such as smartphone) you can use apps like Netflix, Youtube, etc.
6. Yes
7. Odd. I have the 5" stock radio and my phone connects automatically.

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Also one more question for those shifting from the 5" to Insane... I see that changing the volume requires pulling down from the top. How is that? Major pain in the ass?

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
7. Odd. I have the 5" stock radio and my phone connects automatically
My 5" connects automatically, too, but it takes about 30s; it does not automatically switch to it.

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Long post, but here we go. I've had multiple questions about this head unit. Other might have the same questions so here's the Q and A I've had with insane audio on the JL3001 unit:
------
1. Q: Does the Bluetooth support multiple devices being stored? One of your customers on that thread stated when he tethered his phone it was fine. When he also added his wife's phone there was issues. Seems for him that the unit could only know about one phone.

A: Of course it does! You can obviously only have one phone conversation at a time over Bluetooth but our product will remember paired connections for any number of devices. In addition, it is important to note that Insane Audio’s products contain an intelligent Bluetooth chip that contains some pretty advanced technology. We can not only connect to your phone for hands free calling or Bluetooth media streaming, but we can also connect to any number of devices and control them. Everything from Bluetooth switch modules to control your accessories to Bluetooth garage door openers. It all works great with our products. Lastly, it is important to note that all Insane Audio customers get lifetime technical support for free so anyone with any questions (i.e. this gentlemen you are referring to) should reach out to us.

2. Q: What’s the current status of CarPlay? I know there are issues with wireless carplay. How's wired?

A: Insane Audio has wired CarPlay but we initially re-used the OEM USB ports for this. We later found out that some JL’s/JT’s have USB ports that don’t support fast enough data speeds. We don’t quite understand why Jeep used different ports on some but not other models (and it appears to be random, by the way – from 2018 to 2020) but it is what it is. We now supply a different cable that is designed to run to your glovebox for Apple CarPlay and re-use the OEM port for charging and/or USB media. We also have sent a OEM USB bypass cable for free to any of our current customers who have the slow ports and still want to use CarPlay. Wireless Apple CarPlay will be coming in the next couple of weeks and will be available to all of our customers as a free software update.

More importantly, Insane Audio’s JL3001 has the ability to run its own apps through built-in WiFi This is a big deal. Apple CarPlay essentially only runs a small number of “CarPlay Approved” apps that are physically running on your iPhone. Almost everyone nowadays has a smartphone with unlimited data so with Insane Audio, you can simply turn on your iPhones hotspot then download apps directly to your head unit. ANY app. Everything from streaming video with Netflix or YouTube, to satellite imagery, to live weather radar, to much more. In fact, Insane Audio supports over 3.8 MILLION apps. This should put things in perspective -- https://www.insaneaudio.com/PRODUCT_DATA/MARKETING/Apps_By_Platform_Bar_Graph.jpg Many of these apps even work entirely offline so you don’t even need your phone on you. In fact, check out our forum for some great writeups from our techs on some of the things one can do with Insane Audio in your dash - https://insaneaudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

3. Q: What’s the wattage and RMS of the built-in amp? I couldn't find that info anywhere on your site.

A: 45 Watt RMS per channel at 2ohm but more importantly, our built-in amplifier is specifically tuned for OEM speakers to get the best possible sound out of your OEM setup. We also fully integrate with all OEM premium sound systems. If you are considering upgrading speakers, we recommend you use external amps. Insane Audio provides high quality pre-amp outputs for your mains as well as a dedicated sub-out that even has a separate subwoofer volume control built into InsaneEQ. InsaneEQ is our 15 band equalizer that is all controlled via the touch screen.

Its worth pointing out that we aren’t the Insane T-shirt Company or the Insane Bumper Company.
1f60a.png
We are Insane Audio and our sound quality is 2nd to none. Insane Audio’s JL3001 has a 64 bit digital audio processor, advanced digital signal processing (DSP) onboard, a 15 band equalizer and all kinds of advanced audio controls. No other product on the market has anywhere near the audio quality or controls that Insane Audio offers.

4. Q: Does it have rca connections for a sub or anything like that?

A: Yep. As mentioned, we not only have outputs for your mains but also a separate sub-out and even an integrated sub volume control built into InsaneEQ.

5. Q: The phone WiFi, is that just for updating apps? Please explain the use of that.

A: This is a complete game changer. As mentioned above, things like Apple CarPlay or Android Auto are what the other guys do when they don’t have the ability to run their own apps. Insane Audio’s products can run their own apps. This is a big deal and requires quite a bit of technology to make all this happen. From the users perspective, you simply turn on your hotspot then your Jeep is connected. You already have a smartphone. With Insane Audio, you can have a smart Jeep. There are apps where you’ll need to be connected to your hotspot to use (i.e. streaming video from Amazon Prime Video) and there are apps that are entirely offline (i.e. you can download the GoPro app once then it is a part of your Jeep. Anytime you want to wirelessly view or control your GoPro you can just connect to it. No need to even have your phone on you). Then there are all kinds of apps that work both on and offline (i.e. Satellite imagery with Gaia or Backcountry Navigator, Spotify or Pandora, etc.) Again, check out our forum and you’ll start to see just what is possible with our products -- https://insaneaudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7 Basically – you can download whatever apps you want and anytime you want to connect to the internet, you simply turn on your phone’s hotspot. Or your friend’s hotspot. Or you can stream ESPN live while parked outside of Starbucks using their internet connection.
1f60a.png

6. Q: I’m assuming I can Bluetooth connect my phone and play audio over that?

A: Of course!

7. Q: When the unit starts up will it automatically connect to the last Bluetooth device and switch over to it? The current stock unit automatically connects but will not flip over to bluetooth. It also takes about 30 seconds. My wife is very frustrated at that as her 2014 subaru does exactly that. Hence why I'm contacting you guys as I've got the green light from her to replace the head unit.

Yes. It is instant. In fact, if you are already talking on the phone it will automatically switch the call over while still in progress. That being said, however, there are known issues with certain phones (older iPhones being notorious for this) where Bluetooth connections on the phone tend to time out. So as a general rule of thumb, we recommend turning off Bluetooth on your phone when you aren’t using it. Anytime you want to use it, simply turn it on. This will not only ensure that you have a clean connection every time but you’ll notice that your phone battery will also last a heck of a lot longer.

8. Q: Backup camera: does it show the backup lines along with trailer hitch location like the stock unit?

A: Insane Audio re-uses your OEM backup camera and you can turn guidelines on or off. You can also view your reverse camera while in forward motion. With Insane Audio, you can even record from your backup camera or even add a front facing Rock Camera.

9. Q: I've got the 5" screen setup. How does the volume control work besides on the steering wheel? Is it a major pain to turn up and down?

A: Its super easy. You can swipe down from the top of the screen anytime and adjust volume through the touch screen. We also integrate with your OEM steering wheel controls. If you have the OEM center dash controls then we integrate with those as well. You can also do all kinds of things with voice control with our products.

10. Q: Does the stock aux switch stuff work? What about the settings items like "honk when locking the jeep/don't honk when locking/unlock all doors/etc etc etc"?

A: Short answer – yes but eventually. Insane Audio has built an app that is designed to cover all the OEM settings. It already does do some of the basic stuff now (like door locks, etc) but not yet aux switches. That is coming in a future software update. Basically, we have multiple software updates planned and all Insane Audio customers get free software updates for life. This particular app is called Control Settings. We will first add all of the remaining OEM functionality (like Aux switches) then we will continue to add all kinds of features above and beyond these (i.e. like the ability to turn off that stupid engine auto stop feature).

11. Q: I know you've got the integrated hvac stuff. If one was to say swap out the shitty heat/cooling unit that comes with the 5" screen for the nicer climate control system that comes with the 7" model how would that work? Would the system recognize it or would I need a dealer flash of some kind? Also understandable if you haven't tested that out.

A: This is an interesting question. We have not tested this yet, but in theory it should work just fine so long as you are upgrading the module with another JL/JT module since that module will communicate with the same CanBus system that our product is also communicating with. If anything, you may need to go to a dealership to flash your ECU but our product should certainly be able to recognize it once its connected.

--------------------

Some personal takeaways:
They have been quick to respond to my questions which is good, granted they're trying to sell me a product. I will say it's rather interesting that I linked them to this thread and they were quick to bash any forums that we not their own. If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't know about the product. Why bash something if you haven't read it yet?

I saw a youtube video from some kid about his horrible experience with this company. One youtube "personality" doesn't really matter to me, but it's rather interesting to see him and the company fight on posts to his video. I will admit looking at the kids' other videos I think he's a bit ruff on shit. I take his word with a grain of salt. He also in the toyota FJ, so not the jeep unit.

Seems to me that the unit is about 80% there. Pretty typical agile methodology of get it mostly there and we'll keep updating the product later.

So for those of you who own this: Would you buy it again or would you wait to see what fixes come out next? I am an iphone user but I've never used carplay. Carplay would be a key reason of why I would buy this but it not working right away isn't a deal breaking for me _as long as_ I can BT my audio from my phone to the unit.

Just trying to weigh out the pros/cons before dropping $1400 on something. Right now I'm thinking I might wait.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored