Sponsored

What happened to Insane Audio's JL3001 head unit?

graygeoff

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Installed a few weeks ago. It’s a summer vehicle, so I haven’t had much time to really dig in to it….but here’s my take so far…

For the record, I’m an android user. What I like about this is that it’s essentially an android tablet. I upgraded from the factory 5” on my 2018 JLU Sport.

-Installation was VERY easy. They have videos that go through step by step. It MAY have taken me an hour…but it was really less than that. It’s all plug and play.

-The factory USB ports still work. Plus, they give you extra USB cables, if you want them, to put in the glove box. One is high powered, good for charging phones/tablets. Other uses could be for a USB drive for music/media, stored in the glove box.

-Sound is definitely louder than before

-Only issue I’ve had so far is that it only seems to like one Bluetooth device (phone) in its list. It worked fine with mine when I first set it up, but then my wife added hers and it didn’t like it. After removing mine, it bumped her up on the list. Added mine back and now it doesn’t like mine. I haven’t researched it at all, so I’m not sure what the issue it…quite possibly operator error!

-Their factory nav is pretty good. I like that it shows you the speed limit and how fast you’re going. It also announces the speed limit occasionally. I’m not sure where the speed calculations come from…OBD or satellite. I have a feeling the answer depends on which app you’re using. There is an engine diagnostics app that shows you the speed, which is generally pretty close to the speedo…so I think it’s pulling from the OBD port. But, the mapping program is different by a few mph. My guess is that’s coming from satellite. The difference between the two is because of my aftermarket tires.

-Backup camera is WAY better than the factory 5”.

I still have a LOT of playing to go with this, but it’s a definite improvement!
Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Have had mine for a week and have emailed the support a few times as I have no clue about android so far a few things.

Apple CarPlay doesn’t work and from what I’m being told some Jeeps have issues with the oem USB ports they are sending me a cable as a work around.

backup camera works but the grid needs to be out further I have suggested that to them and they will look to see about doing this.

I have a very faint hiss in the radio if nothing is playing they gave me some suggestions to fix it but I haven’t had time to do it yet.

radio looks amazing and sounds better than the 8.4

so far I would recommend it as it’s a lot cheaper than the Alpine unit

Shotgecko

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door sport
Have had mine for a week and have emailed the support a few times as I have no clue about android so far a few things.

Apple CarPlay doesn’t work and from what I’m being told some Jeeps have issues with the oem USB ports they are sending me a cable as a work around.

backup camera works but the grid needs to be out further I have suggested that to them and they will look to see about doing this.

I have a very faint hiss in the radio if nothing is playing they gave me some suggestions to fix it but I haven’t had time to do it yet.

radio looks amazing and sounds better than the 8.4

so far I would recommend it as it’s a lot cheaper than the Alpine unit
Hi, I installed mine a couple weeks ago and had time to play around. I'm fairly certain you can adjust the distance of the grid deep in the setting menu. I want to say it's under car settings and extra settings or something similar (not near my jeep atm).

The audio hiss is coming through because power is always being sent to the speakers. If you drop your volume to 0 you'll notice it go away.

I hope the apple car play / Android auto issue is resolved because aside from that issue, the unit is meeting my expectations

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi, I installed mine a couple weeks ago and had time to play around. I'm fairly certain you can adjust the distance of the grid deep in the setting menu. I want to say it's under car settings and extra settings or something similar (not near my jeep atm).

The audio hiss is coming through because power is always being sent to the speakers. If you drop your volume to 0 you'll notice it go away.

I hope the apple car play / Android auto issue is resolved because aside from that issue, the unit is meeting my expectations
yeah there are 3 settings but the grid needs to be pushed out farther I did let them know about it and they will check it out

they sent me a cable to bypass the oem sockets which I haven’t installed yet as it requires pulling the unit again

they said some JL have USB ports which aren’t fast enough and they probably can’t fix it using the OEM ports so sounds like the software fix they are working on will kill those for data and you will need to use one of the units extra USB ports

delynn10

First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator / 2016 Audi Q3
I wouldn't call it a hiss, but I had an initial crackling coming through the speakers when I first installed the unit.

I removed the speaker for parking radar (didn't have that option and should have never installed it) and then tapped every connector. The crackling went away after the 2nd install.

Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't call it a hiss, but I had an initial crackling coming through the speakers when I first installed the unit.

I removed the speaker for parking radar (didn't have that option and should have never installed it) and then tapped every connector. The crackling went away after the 2nd install.
I pulled mine and taped everything and the hiss is much better but occasionally I still hear something

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Sorry to hear there’s already issues with this unit. Thought it was a sure fire replacement for me till I read this. But with anything new there will be bugs. Now my question is... how’s the sound hitting? I’m huge to music and for the money over a regular radio and dual amp setup for the same price is this radio worth it?

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear there’s already issues with this unit. Thought it was a sure fire replacement for me till I read this. But with anything new there will be bugs. Now my question is... how’s the sound hitting? I’m huge to music and for the money over a regular radio and dual amp setup for the same price is this radio worth it?
It sounds better than the 8.4

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply. Did you have the alpine stuff too?
Stock stuff I have upgraded the top dash and the soundbar speakers found a great way to do that for cheap

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Stock stuff I have upgraded the top dash and the sounder speakers found a great way to do that for cheap
I have the stock stuff with 5 inch ucon. I added a jl audio sub and replaced the 2 top dash speakers with pioneer 3.5” tweeters. Glad to hear it works for you I’m going to wait till they fix some of these bugs you guys are referring to but I plan on having a full 12 speaker system within a year adding the American sound bar to the list when it drops. What was your work around for cheap? I just added a line converter behind the glove box and it only cuts out if I use the USB port to charge my phone.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Another question... does the ebrake have to be up to watch video? I find this to be safe but completely stupid! Let’s let it play movies but not distract the wife while your attempting a 5 foot pool of water for the bet of 35k in the drain lol.
91BA262F-D82F-4243-B03E-82854B93F877.jpeg

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
I pulled mine and taped everything and the hiss is much better but occasionally I still hear something
In the case of interference I suggest trying a ferrite core. I work for Honda and they come in handy on some of the new accords. The turn signal wire interferes with the audio unit by the passenger kick panel. Cut out the audio unit and sometimes makes noise through speakers. Unless you have bad grounding or contact somewhere?
Sponsored