Sponsored

What happened to Insane Audio's JL3001 head unit?

delynn10

First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator / 2016 Audi Q3
So far so good on the unit for me, but still not enough use to offer a real review.

Sound is definitely better.
Haven't used navigation a lot, but it seems to work well.
- don''t think a home location can be set though
Backup camera works well and can be displayed on the screen with rock cam app, even while driving.
Have used the following apps (Podbean, Youtube Music, Sirius XM, and Librivox) with a few more to try.

Had "hey google" setup and it seemed to work well. Never really used voice commands with phone before, so still getting used to it.

Installed a software update and everything was reset to factory, annoying but not a huge deal.

The only app I haven't been able to use so far is IHeart Radio. It installed, but does not progress from the initial screen.
Sponsored

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Wish I would have known since your cheaper than ordering direct. Hopefully mine ships soon as it’s been a week

DoubleOaked

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Given my personal experience, I would caution on purchase right now if you are an Apple user and rely on CarPlay. I've had my unit installed for a little over two weeks, and was initially very pleased with the relative ease of installation. That said, upon testing the unit, I found that both wireless and wired CarPlay did not work. Immediate reply from Insane Audio was that a software bug was was causing an issue with wireless CarPlay and the they were hoping to resolve via an update to the JL3001 within the next several weeks. After several emails back and forth with Insane Audio support with regard to wired CarPlay, I was able to schedule a call with an engineer (an hour of troubleshooting led to no resolution). A couple days after this call, I was included on a mass email to individuals who had purchased their unit directly from Insane Audio informing us that for a certain segment of Jeep JL's, they had identified an integration issue between the JL3001 and the OEM USB port (my vehicle is a 2018 JLU Sport). My most recent correspondence indicates that Insane Audio is sending another USB cable that we will need to run through the glove compartment in order to use CarPlay until they are able to resolve their issue with the OEM USB port (not ideal, but hoping it at last gives me the capability until they are able to resolve).

Related to an inability to leverage CarPlay, I requested instructions on how to enable voice dial natively from the JL3001 (from reading the forums, I know that older JK units supported this function, along with my original 5" uConnect). I was surprised to hear from Insane Audio support upon my request that this capability is not currently available with the JL3001.

Even with these issues, interactions with the company have been positive for the most part, with prompt response. The unit itself is beautiful, so am hoping these initial bugs can be worked out.

Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info my unit is coming Thursday

What are you using for the wireless CarPlay ?

DoubleOaked

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Thanks for the info my unit is coming Thursday

What are you using for the wireless CarPlay ?
Not a problem. Wireless CarPlay is supposed to be facilitated via a pre-installed application on the JL3001 called zLink. Unfortunately, given the software bug, zLink links up via BT to my phone, but then endlessly cycles through "connection" and "waiting" screens. I am hoping for a software fix to the JL3001 by Insane Audio soon.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah so it’s not another adapter you need to buy

do you know if the aux port by the USB port still works ?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
thanks becuase I use apple car play allthe time.

Sponsored

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 F150
I've never used car play, or owned an iPhone, but I was devoted Android auto user. I had a wireless setup in my previous JK.

That being said, I have zero need to use it now. I run all the same apps right on the head unit. Google maps, Pandora, Spotify, my calendar, Gmail ect ... I feel this is even better because I'm not using my phone to interface

For the carplay guys, try loading the same apps to your head unit and see if still want to use carplay...

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
I've never used car play, or owned an iPhone, but I was devoted Android auto user. I had a wireless setup in my previous JK.

That being said, I have zero need to use it now. I run all the same apps right on the head unit. Google maps, Pandora, Spotify, my calendar, Gmail ect ... I feel this is even better because I'm not using my phone to interface

For the carplay guys, try loading the same apps to your head unit and see if still want to use carplay...
I prefer iOS. I plan on using CarPlay as little as possible with this headunit, but it is android and not iOS. In many cases, there aren’t the same apps — especially if you use a lot of the Apple apps. When a port of the actual app doesn’t exist, there’s almost always an equivalent app that requires yet another new account. When a port of an app does exist, purchases through the app (add-free, sometimes subscriptions) don’t cross the platform. I fully empathize with the people who want CarPlay to work.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed mine today was pretty straightforward there was one connection I emailed them about and waiting on a response.

initial impressions it’s a very nice unit I do have a few problems

CarPlay doesn’t work knew that from previous poster

I can’t get the Sirius Xm app to log in so I can use it

and if there is nothing playing I can hear a little noise like Morse code from the speakers very faint but I can hear it if everything is quiet

graygeoff

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
To those that have it, when/if you do write a review, I'm interested in knowing a couple things about it if you don't mind:
  1. If you had issues, how is their support?
  2. How quickly does it boot up?
  3. How's the glare / off-axis viewing angle?
  4. [Edit] does it use the factory microphone or one built-in to it?
Installed mine a couple weeks ago. It's an 'extra' vehicle, so I haven't had much time to play around with it, but...

1. I have not put in for support yet.
2. Boot up is fast MUCH faster than the factory 5". BT/Wifi take a little longer (maybe 30 seconds).
3. No signs of glare issues yet. It has a bit of a mat finish, so I don't think glare will be an issue.
4. As someone else said, it has a built in microphone and also supplies a wired mic. I decided to go with the built in mic, figuring I can add the wired later on if I need to. Been on multiple calls and haven't seen any issues with the built in mic...but as mentioned, it's winter and the top and doors are still on!