Sponsored

What happened to half doors?

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
But these half doors you're talking about don't even exist. Do you mean the body line is too high? I disagree, but I'm sure that has to do with driver height.
Sorry, I should've been clear. I was referring to the JCR half doors, which from the outside, is what I'd expect the Mopar ones to look like. I'd say it's only about 2.5" lower than a full door window opening. It's cool and they look awesome, but you can't call them half doors in my opinion.
IMG_9840.jpg

These things are probably double the height of the ones that were on my TJ.
Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Sorry, I should've been clear. I was referring to the JCR half doors, which from the outside, is what I'd expect the Mopar ones to look like. I'd say it's only about 2.5" lower than a full door window opening. It's cool and they look awesome, but you can't call them half doors in my opinion.
IMG_9840.jpg

Actually JCR said they are about 4" lower. I measured the bottom of the window to the body line. It is about 4".

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks, I was going to do the same later.
4" still isn't enough for me (get your mind out of the gutter), but they do look so good maintaining the body line.

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JT (Gladiator) Mojave | Gobi
Occupation
Business and Executive Coach
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep promised half doors after the donuts showcase, and now silence... no word on them. I thought by now they were supposed to be out already. I can’t replace my JK until they are out on the JL and/or Gladiator. Come on Jeep.
Here's my rig with the JCR half doors.

half doors #3.jpg

Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Man, if those only sealed and had a window I'd be all over that. 2 doors just look amazingly better with half doors imo.

I wonder I'd the jeep doors ever come out how they will deal with the window. It would be weird to only have zippers there. Hopefully it's a glass window like the old sliders.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The sliders were always an aftermarket option and were pretty serious $. At least this was the case in TJ’s, I’m not sure about JK’s.

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
IMG_9840.jpg

So is your definition of a "half door" a door that's exactly half the heigh from the door sill to the window? Essentially a quarter door? I can't imagine the door line being much lower, given how much bigger a JL is than a TJ. It would essentially just be a small ankle high gate at that point.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
No, I didn’t mean that in such a literal sense. I’m just playfully saying that in my opinion they’re not low enough to deserve to be labelled “half doors”.
There’s nothing I can think of to make them in any other dimensions than JCR’s doors.
I can’t justify the expense given the limited improvement, but I am envious of anyone who does.

Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The jk didnt have a slider from Jeep but a company did produce some. You had to cut the plastic window out and screw the window in. It was really nice but you lost a lot of arm room on the door and they were a bit sharp in some areas.

That being said I'm not sure if I would buy then again, uess they were from Jeep.

Slickrockguy

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
They are not perfect, but I like my half doors a lot. Much better than the full doors, Gives me a much improved armrest. It’s not just the lower door line that’s nice, removing the whole window frame allows more space at the rear too. I still think the roll bar is about 4” too far forward, but it’s a hell of a lot better than the window frame.

09083ABC-CC23-49CF-AB99-6308CA4F4399.jpeg

shaunmac

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK, 2012 JK
I got the DV8 half doors and had them painted to match. I really like them! Who knows when Jeep will get around to making them... Next up, I have to get black bolts (instead of the silver ones it came with...) to match the rest of the Jeep.

IMG_2584 copy.jpg

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
They are not perfect, but I like my half doors a lot. Much better than the full doors, Gives me a much improved armrest. It’s not just the lower door line that’s nice, removing the whole window frame allows more space at the rear too. I still think the roll bar is about 4” too far forward, but it’s a hell of a lot better than the window frame.

09083ABC-CC23-49CF-AB99-6308CA4F4399.jpeg
Those look great! How wide is the top of the door? It is a good armrest?