Sponsored

What happened to Autumn? Winter driving observations.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
jlwindshield.jpg

Just got hit with 20cm of snow overnight and it looks like we'll be getting another 20 to 30 over the next 24hrs. :facepalm:

Here are a few observations from my first drive in winter conditions.

The JLUR warms up very fast. Cold weather package was worth every penny. However, the front windshield defrost isn't the greatest as I discussed in this thread :
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/question-regarding-the-windsheld-defrost.15276/

Drove the JLUR in 4WD and combined with the KO2's, it makes for an acceptable ride in the snow. Having driven an AWD Subaru with snow tires for the last 10 years, I'm not used to tire slip from a complete stop but it seems fine otherwise. Will consider getting some proper snow tires.
Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
jlwindshield.jpg

Just got hit with 20cm of snow overnight and it looks like we'll be getting another 20 to 30 over the next 24hrs. :facepalm:

Here are a few observations from my first drive in winter conditions.

The JLUR warms up very fast. Cold weather package was worth every penny. However, the front windshield defrost isn't the greatest as I discussed in this thread :
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/question-regarding-the-windsheld-defrost.15276/

Drove the JLUR in 4WD and combined with the KO2's, it makes for an acceptable ride in the snow. Having driven an AWD Subaru with snow tires for the last 10 years, I'm not used to tire slip from a complete stop but it seems fine otherwise. Will consider getting some proper snow tires.
HA, whatcha expect . . . your in the CANADIAN rockies, duh ! :) :clap: ;) . B.C. ? How far north of Spokane, WA. (USA) ?
We are just beginning to start FALL here - have to go up to Northport, WA. to see some Fall Colors - the River - Upper Columbia's 'American Reach' section (Northport to border) is an especially fond place to me.

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
We're only around 400 miles north of Spokane but our mountains create their own weather patterns.

We had a weird summer out here. The smoke from the forest fires kept us mostly indoors until early September, when the first snowfall helped extinguish the fires. We then had around 2 weeks of autumn and then we shifted into winter.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
What is all that white stuff on the ground? :)

Still have need air-conditioning around here... Usually need it until around November and often even later just to cut down the humidity in the house. I guess we've had a cool front come down since our highs are only supposed to be in the mid to upper 80Fs over the next week, but that might just be because we are having scattered thunderstorms over the next two weeks.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I've looked, and no one makes "proper" snow tires at 33 inches or above. The Rubicon's A/T KO2s are already snowflake-rated (required for winter here in Quebec) but anything better for snow would just be a similar M/T instead. I don't want the white stuff here anytime soon, but when it does come I am happy to know the stock tires will perform.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've looked, and no one makes "proper" snow tires at 33 inches or above. The Rubicon's A/T KO2s are already snowflake-rated (required for winter here in Quebec) but anything better for snow would just be a similar M/T instead. I don't want the white stuff here anytime soon, but when it does come I am happy to know the stock tires will perform.
"snowflake-rated" tires? LMAO... Here in the US, "snowflake" is a derogatory term we use for these wimpy liberals/millennials who melt at the sign of any adversity. So, I guess "snowflake-rated" tires would come with their own special "safe zone"? :)

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
I noticed that there's a small selection of 285/70R17 snow tires like the Nokian Hakkapelitta LT2 but I'll stick with my KO2's for now.

Saw around two dozen cars in the ditch yesterday from the snowfall. If I had a tow strap, I would've considered pulling some people out of the snow...

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed that there's a small selection of 285/70R17 snow tires like the Nokian Hakkapelitta LT2 but I'll stick with my KO2's for now.

Saw around two dozen cars in the ditch yesterday from the snowfall. If I had a tow strap, I would've considered pulling some people out of the snow...
Around 30 or so years ago, I was a few hundred miles north of here and driving on a back road after an ice storm had passed. There was a slight hill and the idiot in front of me decided to slow down instead of keeping his speed up and maintaining momentum to make it up the hill. He came to a stop and since there was a car coming from the other direction, that made me come to a stop. At that point, he couldn't make it up the hill, so I got out to try helping push him up the hill. I looked back and my car was slowly sliding down the hill and into the ditch even though the car was in park and the emergency brake was set.

No good deed goes unpunished... :(

Rubicam

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I know it's answered here somewhere.. but do we get a block heater with the cold weather package up here? I seem to recall something about it being removed somewhere along the line?

Just don't want to search for a plus thats not there!

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
I know it's answered here somewhere.. but do we get a block heater with the cold weather package up here? I seem to recall something about it being removed somewhere along the line?

Just don't want to search for a plus thats not there!
According to the latest Canadian ordering guide, the block heater is standard in all trims regardless of cold weather package.

Sponsored

18BlackJLRU

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4XE Rubicon
I’m from Montreal, I was planning to keep my JLRU KO2 for the winter but opted to go with Blizzak DMV2 265/70R18 that I will be installing on my good set of JK Sahara wheels.

With all the reading that I did over the last few weeks, I concluded that Winter Tires were winter tires and that they would be safer my my family.

Last edited:

Hanky

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS; Toyota FJ
Just installed Blizzak DMV2 265/70R18 on my Sahara Wheels, very impressed with ride and handling in the snow so far.

A world of difference to the stock Goodyear All-Terrains!
Sponsored