Sponsored

What good is GPS Recording your Trail? Worked better in the JK..

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just picked up a JLUR with the 8.4" screen.

In my buddies 2014 Rubicon he would record his GPS track which would actually display a track of where you have been. Pretty helpful if you're out exploring and want to find your way back.

I recorded some trails this weekend but it doesn't actively show you your track. I believe you can only see it after the track is done recording.

Am I missing something?

Anyway to export them to something like GAIA?
Any Android Auto apps that would be better for GPS logging?

Thanks
Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Sell the vehicle go back to a JK.
Problem solved.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
If you're a hiker as well as an off-roader I highly recommend AllTrails for iOS or Android. It has, well, all the trails mapped and search/filterable, plus it logs your trip regardless of the vehicle you're in. It allows you to download the map in advance should you end up outside of cell service. It also has a lifeline feature that sends your last known location to a contact in case of an emergency.

This is my recording of last weekend:

IMG_0475.jpeg

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
You can not record a track if it’s not a known road on your gps. So if the road or trail shows up on the gps it can be recorded. Why Jeep didn’t make it possible to record via gps blows my mind. I have to have a separate tablet with mapping software to record and save trails which is stupid,
Fiat is stupid. I wouldn’t pay 1000.00 for led head lights but I would pay more for the ability to track and save my trails. Which I need.

OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You can not record a track if it’s not a known road on your gps. So if the road or trail shows up on the gps it can be recorded. Why Jeep didn’t make it possible to record via gps blows my mind. I have to have a separate tablet with mapping software to record and save trails which is stupid,
Fiat is stupid. I wouldn’t pay 1000.00 for led head lights but I would pay more for the ability to track and save my trails. Which I need.
I have recorded offroad tracks. It does okay. One annoying thing is it auto ends when you turn off the vehicle. So if you stop for a break or soemthing you have to restart it.

My gripe is it doesn't show you anything about the track as you record it. Once you are done you can rename it and see the Route you took. But that's it. Can't export them, overlay them or eve see the stinking route you are recording.
If you're a hiker as well as an off-roader I highly recommend AllTrails for iOS or Android. It has, well, all the trails mapped and search/filterable, plus it logs your trip regardless of the vehicle you're in. It allows you to download the map in advance should you end up outside of cell service. It also has a lifeline feature that sends your last known location to a contact in case of an emergency.

This is my recording of last weekend:

IMG_0475.jpeg
I do some hiking. Generally I use Gaia for overlanding and Strava for "exercising". I just wanted to see what benefit the onboard recording brought. It seems pretty limited in use.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Off road trails if not listed on GPS will not be recorded that is the norm on any GPS. It will say road not listed due to the GPS area is considered off grid. Vehicles do not bread crumb off grid. That is a different type of program.

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
Looks like a known trail

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The JK's breadcrumb feature was much more user-friendly than this, for sure. I just use my Garmin Overlander now and don't even give this a second thought. It would have been nice for them to make it record GPX files and make them exportable.
Sponsored