Sponsored

What fuel do you use for your turbo 4?

What fuel do you use for your turbo 4?

• Regular (87 Octane)

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • Mid Grade (89 to 91 Octane depending on State/Canadian Province)

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Premium (91 to 93 Octane depending on State/Canadian Province)

Votes: 41 48.2%
  • I mix it (run mainly on Regular but fill up with Premium ocassionally or when going on a long trip)

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • I mix it (run mainly on Premium/Mid Grade but fill it up with Regular every now and then)

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Wife and I are looking at our second Jeep (this time a base Sport 2 door with a Turbo 4, a Hard Top and an A/C. Nothing else). We had spent nearly $60k on our JLUR so cost is key this time and main reason for going to a 2 Door Base Model.

With that said, do I risk any long term reliability loss or damage if I use Regular gas in the Turbo 4? Regular is required in my Pentastar. Premium is therefore considered a waste of money in it. When I look at the Manual however, it seems that Plus or Premium is what should be used in the Turbo 4. Problem is that Premium can cost $0.70 to $1.00 more per gallon than regular here on Long Island.
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
We got a 2.0L about 8 months ago and I didn't even think to use a higher grade in it until much more recently when I saw that thread that RoadiJeff linked. I've tried premium a couple of times since then but saw no noticeable difference in performance or economy. I think the manual has a pretty vague comment about using higher grades for optimum performance but that is probably in the manual for every other car out there.

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
Agree with BDinTX...

Additionally, I plan to run 91 octane from May through September. From October through April I’ll run 87 octane.
In essence, when it gets to be above 80+ degrees Fahrenheit and/or the humidity is high, I’ll run 91. Below those figures I’ll stay with 87 octane.

I’ll stick to the above. I’m very comfortable with this. YMMV.

Grand Lake Special

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Sport Sarge Green
Occupation
retired teacher & building administrator
Vehicle Showcase
Running premium allows for increased ignition timing lead on the turbo motor. This results in a little more HP and Torque. It will run fine on 87 octane but with slightly less power and horsepower and slightly lower fuel economy. For city driving most people wont notice much difference. On a trip at highway speeds increased fuel economy will usually be realized depending on how you drive. There are unfelt differences in the detergent quality of premium over the 87 octane. Direct injection engines benefit from increased fuel quality long term. You have to weigh cost differences in your area and the way you drive. My 2.0 auto averaged 29.6 mpg on first 300 mile highway trip 60-70 mph average speed.
Premium is my first choice as ours is a cottage jeep and does not get a lot of miles as it is only driven late spring through September when the cottage is used by family.

Sponsored

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
If I used premium it would cost me near ~$150 to fill up my tank (at current prices). Every week.

No thanks. City, highway, off-road all run just fine on 87 :rock: (for me - Chevron)

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
I use premium, for the investment I’ve made in this Jeep, I thinks it’s worth premium gas.

emarrero

First Name
Ely
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
i write code
I go with 93 for the 2.0T's in The Boss' Cherokee Trailhawk and my JLUR

MK212MX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 80th Edition
I have been running 90 non-ethanol from Sheetz now that there is one close to me.

angrykitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

The owners manual says you can use any "grade" of fuel but use 91+ for best performance. I haven't seen a difference in 85 or 91 in terms of it being a race car or fuel economy. I think I get better fuel economy with 85.
Sponsored