Sponsored

What engine Would You Chose? (Poll)

If Jeep could only make 3 engine options in a wrangler what 3 would you want? Can have 6MT or 8AT

• 3.6 Pentstar

• 3.6 Pentstar E Torque

• 4.0 I6

• 2.0 I4

• Eco Diesel

• 6.4 Hemi

• 5.7 Hemi

• 5.7 Hemi E torque

• 2.0 With 4xe

• 3.0 I6 Huricane High Output

• 3.0 I6 Hurricane Standard Output

• Cummins?

• Hellcat V8

• Magneto Concept

• Pentstar 3.6 with ESS (Why would you choose this?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Anything with a turbo or hybrid should be thrown in the trash. Period. Overly complicated and unnecessary. The only reason they came into being is because of government intervention.

I chose the Pentastar because there is not a modern I6 without a turbo. A V8 for a higher output option. I would use a smaller Cummins like a I4, again without a turbo.

Simple, reliable, and easy to maintain.
Gotta disagree when it comes to diesels. I’m old enough to remember the smokin, chokin, stinkin, gutless NA diesels. The NA 6.9 IH in Ford PU’s made Gale Banks a lot of money, including from my father, father in law, and just about everyone else be it Banks, ATS etc. …. If you ever got stranded, trucks right lane only behind a struggling NA truck you would want all non turbocharged diesels scrapped. ?
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
It's fine and Jeep are pussies for not giving us the 2-door with a V8..

?
As much as I dislike about Ca and CARB I give a sigh of relief. Before getting my 392 I investigated swaps preferring a 2dr….. Not Legal For Use On Public Roadways in California. Or whelp— Here We Go Again ! But I would need a Hellaphant for equal power-weight, and I know my propensity for snowballing. :whew:

Diesel1776

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I own the Ecodiesel (vote 1)

Wouldn’t mind a Cummins (vote 2)

Everything else, I’m not so interested in. Diesel only :)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
My vote is electric drive axles with a plug-in 100 mile electric range (@75 MPH), and an additional 250-mile multi-fuel ICE range extender that would run on gas/diesel/e85/CNG/etc. (at least until Mr. Fusion becomes available).

No transfer case, no transmission, no driveshafts, no pinion angle issues, no re-gearing... just electric torque. Obviously not leaf sprung, but axles like this (maybe with portals):

Jeep Wrangler JL What engine Would You Chose? (Poll) 98bd3e20-85a1-11eb-93e7-58b60239e98c

edit: might as well throw in ZF's new brake-by-wire system and eliminate possibility of brake line failure.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Still have a 4.0 YJ. Great engine. Underpowered for today's market. Modern diesel emissions and Volkswagen killed small diesels. Cummins weighs too much. E torque adds complexity with little mileage improvement. Voted on the Hurricanes for straight 6 reliability and smooth power delivery. Also voted 3.6 Pentastar no Etorque for the reliability.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
of the options that actually exist, i'd stick with the EcoDiesel.
the efficiency and ample low-RPM power are fabulous, and it'll churn highway all day long.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I'm all for the I6 HO, and Cummins. A proper I6 Cummins, without DPF and EGR. But, that's just a pipe dream. Those I6 Cummins weigh a lot.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Ok, I changed my mine. One with a Hellephant conversion, and one with a Cummins. Gas for everyday things, Diesel for off-road.

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
i went with non turbo non crazy horsepower. Need to daily drive it and 10-14 mpg sucks too much money out of my pocket. Turbos get expensive to replace too. have the 3.6 now and its fine

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My choice would be a four speed dual quad posi-traction 409.