Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Hey all,
We've had a few hot days here, and I have noticed something very strange. When the ambient temps are over 90, the cooling fan in my 2.0 JL will turn ON over 20 mph and continue to run, even at highway speeds. AC on or off makes no difference, and it doesn't happen if the temps are lower. Coolant temps are under 200*F, but this is the first vehicle I've ever had where an electric fan is running while the vehicle is moving, especially at 50-60 mph. It's damn loud too.

Does your 2.0 JL do the same thing?
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,
We've had a few hot days here, and I have noticed something very strange. When the ambient temps are over 90, the cooling fan in my 2.0 JL will turn ON over 20 mph and continue to run, even at highway speeds. AC on or off makes no difference, and it doesn't happen if the temps are lower. Coolant temps are under 200*F, but this is the first vehicle I've ever had where an electric fan is running while the vehicle is moving, especially at 50-60 mph. It's damn loud too.

Same here. My engine temp remains the same, winter and summer, but once the ambient air warms to a certain point the fan acts just as you described. Funny that it shuts off when below 20mph and sitting still at a light with no wind blowing through the grill. I heard of a tsb that included a software flash, from a while back, that gives the fan some modulation. Right now, we're getting all or nothing. I never pursued it at a dealer because it hasn't bothered me enough.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I'm not really sure what all conditions the fan takes into account for its operation. Most other vehicles I've had, there is a set point where the electric fan comes on and when it shuts off (or the speed at which it runs), but on this it seems kinda random. I watch the gauges pretty closely when I'm off road and its not really consistent.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Is the fan kicking on also a function of cooling the e-torque battery?
I believe so.

I remember a video where they described the eTorque/BSG functions, which included some form of preemptive cooling. Not sure if it's related to the fan's run cycle, but there's definitely more cycling it on than just water/oil temperature.

Sponsored

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Mine does the same. I think they have it slow down when coming to a stop so that the people around you are not wondering what is wrong with that brand new Jeep. Or possibly an executive got embarrassed by everyone staring at him wondering if it was going to explode when sitting at a stop light.

F2F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Sport Altitude 2.0L Turbo
Sometimes I feel like I’m going to lift off.

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The question I would ask is, “When does the fan NOT run?” I feel like it is always on…but yes, on hot days…it runs loud.

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Hey all,

Check to see if the rear battery housing is overheating due to being caked with mud or something, that’ll cause the fan to run like crazy trying to cool since the coolant runs through there.

OP
OP
The Fixer

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Check to see if the rear battery housing is overheating due to being caked with mud or something, that’ll cause the fan to run like crazy trying to cool since the coolant runs through there.
Sounds like a good idea, I'll slide under there tomorrow and have a look.
Sponsored