Sponsored

What do you wish was different on your JL?

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Yeah, but the thing that will crap out are your batteries and initially the only thing that will stop working is the non-essential ESS. It's a canary in the coal mine. Without that you'll keep going on as normal until the very important Engine Cold Start fails.
But if the ESS wasn't there at all, none of those things would happen.
Sponsored

Tellurian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12. An old school ignition that used a key. I hate push button ignitions and don’t trust them at all!
12 won’t happen for Jeep or any other manufacturer. Pretty soon, a generation of drivers will sit in the driver’s seat and never know an ignition key was ever a thing, much like how the crank arm isn’t discussed anymore.

Out of curiosity, though, what don’t you trust about P2S? Like a key ignition, P2S simply closes the circuit but adds a layer of security in that the receiver (fob) must be present after the vehicle is first unlocked.

And before someone calls me out on the “security” comment, keyless entry is the actual security risk because that is what allows for a relay hack. Without keyless entry, P2S is much more secure.

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
It does, but I'm coming from 15 years driving pickup trucks, so having a big door that swings out is weird to me, vs a wall that just drops down. Older Jeeps (forget what model, but maybe TJs?) had a drop-down.

Also a drop-down tailgate gives you somewhere to sit, can provide a longer sleep platform for us tall folk, etc.
Drop down tailgate goes back to the CJ5 I believe. Probably early 70's. I had a 77 & the tailgate didn't open at all. Someone had a conversion for the JK, so maybe it's coming for the JL.

GaryLoos

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
  1. Cooled seats (still boggles my mind that Wranglers don't have this option, as much of a summer/hot environment vehicle as it is)
  2. The ability to control the HVAC/heated seats/steering wheel from within the Uconnect app (so when I remote start, I can tell it to also turn these on/adjust the temperature)
  3. A tailgate that drops (like a truck) vs a swing-out
  4. Heads-Up Display
  5. Wireless Android Auto
  6. More storage up front. The console is big, but it's more like a big tall well. And if you get one of those little console trays, it's more manageable but hard to fit a modern smartphone in there.
That's about it, really. Otherwise I'm pretty well in love with it.
#5 Android auto wireless!! I use android auto on my F150 pickup and it does not require a wire to make it work. When I got into my wife new Grand Cherokee it hooked right up and worked wireless. My wife wanted her android phone to do the same wirelessly. I tried but was unable to make hers work with out a wire. I called jeep uconnect help line and they said I had to have a wire to use android auto. Not sure how my phone works on her car wireless and hers won't.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I *seriously* considered it, man. The Gladiator Texas Trail trim was #chefskiss for my needs. Except for it being a truck, lol. In ~15 years of driving a truck, I've never once towed anything, and had a bed cover on 98% of the time, lol.

The Wrangler fits my needs incredibly well. I just wish I could access the rear cargo a bit differently is all. But I don't wish it enough to go to a Gladiator.
I was very close to ordering a gladiator and going the topper route myself, I just really wanted the singular passenger/cargo space. That overlook concept would be my version of perfection, minus the 3rd row seats. I only used my truck beds when we moved, which was often enough at the time, but now I am not planning on moving.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

#5 Android auto wireless!! I use android auto on my F150 pickup and it does not require a wire to make it work. When I got into my wife new Grand Cherokee it hooked right up and worked wireless. My wife wanted her android phone to do the same wirelessly. I tried but was unable to make hers work with out a wire. I called jeep uconnect help line and they said I had to have a wire to use android auto. Not sure how my phone works on her car wireless and hers won't.
It's because the Grand Cherokee (and most other FCA models) have Uconnect 5, whereas the Wrangler is still on Uconnect 4. One of the [many] improvements of 5 over 4 is wireless Android Auto/Carplay.

There is a dongle for wireless Android Auto on Kickstarter but they're on a several month lead time and I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Latest update says you can order now for delivery in March. They've been hit by several parts/supplier issues.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to have easier access to the rear of my JL with the soft top. I wouldn't care how retarded it looked when open.
Do you find that to be easier access...?

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
But if the ESS wasn't there at all, none of those things would happen.
It would. You'd have to get rid of all the electronic features to eliminate the parasitic draw on the battery when the vehicle is off. Basically revert back to a 20th century vehicle where all the battery did was cold start the engine. That's why batteries no longer last 7-10 years.

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
I wish my JL was a 2 door Gladiator with JL breakover and departure angles. :bandit:

Sponsored

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The ability to open/close the garage door without having to have the car on, or is that just my JLUR?
Nope. Mine too. I thought the same as you, but there is a large benefit. If you leave your car outside and an unscrupulous character breaks into your car AND the garage button is hot, POOF! They have access to your garage. Didn't occur to me until I had a 4Runner with the Homelink always hot. It was one of those "Oh sh**!" realizations.

If I could eliminate one thing it's the auto transmission lockout if a door is open. We need to die like real men!!

needajeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubi EcoDiesel
Hello everyone. So on your JL, what are some things that you wish were different and/or could have come from the factory different?

I have a few things.

1. No eTorque! I would have much preferred to have been able to have a traditional automotive battery and alternator as opposed to the eTorque nonsense!

2. ESS either not on my Jeep or the ability to have it always off without having to buy a new Taser system.

3. Fog lights on completely independently. So if the headlight are off, on low beams or on high beams.

4. The front and rear cameras able to turn on whenever you wanted them on and not just at low speeds and/or in 4 hi or 4 lo.

5. The ability to lock the rear differential in 2 hi, 4 hi and 4 lo.

6. The ability to lock the front differential independent from the rear differential and in 4 hi as well, and not just 4 lo with the rear differential locked. I think the new Ford Bronco has this capability and I really wish the JL Rubicon did as well.

7. To be able to disconnect the sway bar in 2 hi, 4 hi and 4 lo. There’s a trail I want to do but on certain portions there will be some very tight turns and I may have to put my JLUR in 2 hi in order to be able to turn really shop in either direction in order to make the turns.

8. I really wish the 392 V-8 and the Extreme Recon package was already available and known when I ordered my 2021 JLUR last November 30th, of 2020. Same thing as well with the Gorilla glass and half doors also. But oh well, to late to order those things now.

9. I wish the rear tire carrier swung out independent of the rear door.

10. I wish the rear seats center seat had the cup holder in the back of the headrest like there are on some of the interiors. Why they made some different than others I will never know?

11. A bigger gas tank!

12. An old school ignition that used a key. I hate push button ignitions and don’t trust them at all!
1. Jeep should allow the seat to go back as far I want. I don't care about leaving enough rear seat room for passengers that are my choice to have or not to have to begin with.

2. Should have wireless Carplay. And to have a much more reliable Carplay integration.

3. Would love to have more cup holders and storage.

4. Be great to have auto up power windows.

5. I'd wish they would sell the 5.7 Liter V8 to allow for a more powerful option that is way less complex than the Diesel .. I'm assuming they'd be able to do for a lot less than the 392.

6. Automatic wipers would be great.

7. I wish the Xtreme Recon was available when I ordered.

I'm sure I have a ton more, but I'm willing to admit that some of my gripes are ordering decisions I made (diesel vs Turbo-4, Rubi vs. a more civilized version, KO2's instead of Wild Peak MT's)

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
After 6 months I don't have much to add or complain about. But I would prefer.

1. windows auto up
2. better thought out ESS system without the little battery (non-etorque) for the 2.0
3. Locking hood and gas cap standard
4. I'd love them to bring the TJ Sahara seat materials back...green and tan.
Sponsored