Sponsored

What do you wish was different on your JL?

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I'd like CAN bus documentation for those of us who want to do some really cool customizations. I realize you can't give away everything, but there's still a lot of things you can help us understand that we can take advantage of. We're talking next-level kind of customizations with this.
Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Hello everyone. So on your JL, what are some things that you wish were different and/or could have come from the factory different?

I have a few things.

1. No eTorque! I would have much preferred to have been able to have a traditional automotive battery and alternator as opposed to the eTorque nonsense!

2. ESS either not on my Jeep or the ability to have it always off without having to buy a new Taser system.

3. Fog lights on completely independently. So if the headlight are off, on low beams or on high beams.

4. The front and rear cameras able to turn on whenever you wanted them on and not just at low speeds and/or in 4 hi or 4 lo.

5. The ability to lock the rear differential in 2 hi, 4 hi and 4 lo.

6. The ability to lock the front differential independent from the rear differential and in 4 hi as well, and not just 4 lo with the rear differential locked. I think the new Ford Bronco has this capability and I really wish the JL Rubicon did as well.

7. To be able to disconnect the sway bar in 2 hi, 4 hi and 4 lo. Thereā€™s a trail I want to do but on certain portions there will be some very tight turns and I may have to put my JLUR in 2 hi in order to be able to turn really shop in either direction in order to make the turns.

8. I really wish the 392 V-8 and the Extreme Recon package was already available and known when I ordered my 2021 JLUR last November 30th, of 2020. Same thing as well with the Gorilla glass and half doors also. But oh well, to late to order those things now.

9. I wish the rear tire carrier swung out independent of the rear door.

10. I wish the rear seats center seat had the cup holder in the back of the headrest like there are on some of the interiors. Why they made some different than others I will never know?

11. A bigger gas tank!

12. An old school ignition that used a key. I hate push button ignitions and donā€™t trust them at all!
Iā€™d like some room under the hood. When I bought my first Jeep in 1977 you could see through to the pavement on both sides of the engine. Everything was easily accessible and there was plenty of room to instal accessories. Every my Tjs had room up there for an external speaker and a dual ARB compressor. The JL, not so much.

And, like so many others, Iā€™d like to get rid of every idiot-saving device. I donā€™t need bells, whistles, warnings, or ā€auto parkā€. Iā€™d be happy to sign a waiver for the privilege of having an unencumbered, simple, Jeep.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
And, like so many others, Iā€™d like to get rid of every idiot-saving device. I donā€™t need bells, whistles, warnings, or ā€auto parkā€. Iā€™d be happy to sign a waiver for the privilege of having an unencumbered, simple, Jeep.
Add to that "ESS delete", visors that don't snap off, and a V6 that isn't prone to a rear main seal leak and we've got a winner! For the most part IMO the JL kicks f'n ass!

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I wish the turbo spool was louder, and that adding a BOV would give a nice loud stustustsustu. All the aftermarket BOV I've seen video on seem so quiet.

I love loud engines, exhaust notes, turbo spools, hearing the bov. I love loud NA motors, supercharged or not. I'll take it all. If it goes bang with dino juice me likey šŸ˜‹

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
And, like so many others, Iā€™d like to get rid of every idiot-saving device. I donā€™t need bells, whistles, warnings, or ā€auto parkā€.

Iā€™d be happy to sign a waiver for the privilege of having an unencumbered, simple, Jeep.
I defeated the Auto Park with a small extender insert. The ESS function was defeated with a related harness.

As for the safety nannies (packages), my Sport has none of them. Done. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL What do you wish was different on your JL? Unenc - after

I wish the turbo spool was louder, and that adding a BOV would give a nice loud stustustsustu. All the aftermarket BOV I've seen video on seem so quiet.
We joke about that here. The BOV on my 2.0T vents internally (as you're likely aware), meaning there isn't any aural reminder of the engine's forced induction.

My wife's turbocharged Honda, on the other hand, makes a cute little whistle sound every time she lifts her foot off the accelerator to slow down. It's not loud but it is easy to hear. I wouldn't have guessed that she'd be the one flexing here, lol.

Sponsored

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
Wow, lots of really good input in here and some funny ones too. There were things that I had never known or considered before either so I am learning a lot from other peoples recommendations and opinions. Thank you all for contributing!

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
I defeated the Auto Park with a small extender insert. The ESS function was defeated with a related harness.

As for the safety nannies (packages), my Sport has none of them. Done. :)

Unenc - after.jpg
Great idea. Unfortunately, that wonā€™t stop it from slamming into park if my door is ajar. šŸ¤¬

My JL is my first automatic. I was reluctant, and I probably would have opted for a manual if Iā€™d known FCA had discovered a new way to save me from myself, but Iā€˜ve grown to appreciate the convenience of the automatic, especially when I get stuck in stop and go traffic.

My wife and I miss our TJ. We didnā€™t even own a top for is for a couple years, so all the driving was topless (for the Jeep :giggle:). It was great having a road-legal golf cart for zipping around in the summer sun. Weā€™re selling my wifeā€™s Mustang. When reality is restored to the used car market Iā€™ll look for a two-door sport with no options to replace it.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
When reality is restored to the used car market Iā€™ll look for a two-door sport with no options to replace it.
I wish you luck, Alex. They're unicorns, JLs and JLUs both, from what I've [not] seen. :(
Also, rarely will the seller not know what he has, if or when such a vehicle makes an appearance on the used market. Gird thy wallet.

I had to order my 2021 Sport (its only option being an engine block heater) since my dealer's lot inventory was nothing less than a recurring series of well equipped Rubes and Saharas, with the occasional Willys. That's what sells, so I can hardly fault them for accommodating buyer expectations.

True Story:
My dealer offered me a decent deal on a new JLU Sport that was a buyer refusal. When the couple arrived to sign the papers, the wife discovered that it had manual windows and door locks, features which weren't previously mentioned to her. The poor dear didn't want to live with such peasant-like encumbrances, and refused to co-sign the dealer financing ppwrk.

I declined the salesman's offer, preferring a vehicle color other than black. And so that Jeep was orphaned a second time...but not for long. Lot stock Wranglers reliably sold between 3-7 days after arriving at the dealer, and that Sport was no exception.

That all went down last Autumn. At present, most dealer orders are sold before they arrive on the truck. Folks will call the sales staff with their requirements, and if an inbound Wrangler (otherwise intended for lot stock) is close enough, a $500.00 credit card deposit is tendered and that is all she wrote.

jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s, 21 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
My Poverty Buildā„¢ has no such requirement. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL What do you wish was different on your JL? Unenc - after

Possibly your headlights aren't properly aimed? The occasional flash from the oncoming driver might be reasonably expected to occur; the dazzling light temperature of modern LED lights can be distracting even when properly aimed. That you're being flashed constantly (and unfortunately choosing to escalate, instead of just driving on) suggests you might need to be proactive here.

1. No dead pedals, please. I'm glad to be able to properly stretch my left leg and rest the top of my sole on the firewall. Every vehicle I've owned with a dead pedal has been positioned too far forward toward the driver. Removing the plastic pedal usually leaves a captive stud behind, projecting outward, since that's what the pedal anchors to. The interference of that stud is almost as uncomfortable to deal with as the now-removed pedal. Aftermarket dead pedals are freely available for the JL. Let those who believe they need one fund the purchase and installation costs themselves.

2. Wouldn't your suggestion of longer seat travel (in recognizance of taller drivers' needs) conflict with your concurrent desire for a dead pedal? ;)

4. Agreed. I purchased a seat belt insert to fool the Auto Park function.

Curious. Every vehicle I've ever owned with a mist feature, including all three in the driveway right now, required the right lever to be pushed up for a single sweep of the wipers. Pushing the lever down through 3 detents would advance between intermittent, Low and High wiper speed.

my bmws went down. I think my f250 was too i forget I sold it back in Aug. It seemed weird moving it up which felt un natural.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I wish you luck, Alex. They're unicorns, JLs and JLUs both, from what I've [not] seen. :(
Also, rarely will the seller not know what he has, if or when such a vehicle makes an appearance on the used market. Gird thy wallet.

I had to order my 2021 Sport (its only option being an engine block heater) since my dealer's lot inventory was nothing less than a recurring series of well equipped Rubes and Saharas, with the occasional Willys. That's what sells, so I can hardly fault them for accommodating buyer expectations.

True Story:
My dealer offered me a decent deal on a new JLU Sport that was a buyer refusal. When the couple arrived to sign the papers, the wife discovered that it had manual windows and door locks, features which weren't previously mentioned to her. The poor dear didn't want to live with such peasant-like encumbrances, and refused to co-sign the dealer financing ppwrk.

I declined the salesman's offer, preferring a vehicle color other than black. And so that Jeep was orphaned a second time...but not for long. Lot stock Wranglers reliably sold between 3-7 days after arriving at the dealer, and that Sport was no exception.

That all went down last Autumn. At present, most dealer orders are sold before they arrive on the truck. Folks will call the sales staff with their requirements, and if an inbound Wrangler (otherwise intended for lot stock) is close enough, a $500.00 credit card deposit is tendered and that is all she wrote.
I know youā€™re right. Funny how times change. I wanted a Jeep from the time I was about 12 years old. At that time my plan was to buy one of the surplus military jeeps that were advertised in magazines like Field and Stream and Popular Mechanics. The Jeeps were only $100 at the time, and some were nice. The nearest depot was about about half a day from home and I couldnā€™t get my dad excited about the idea of spending a day to go get one, drag it home, and then watch it occupy garage or barn space for three years, so I didnā€™t get my first Jeep until 1977. The only convenience my 77 CJ had when I ordered it was a hard top and AC, which was a pretty big deal at the time. Nothing but bare painted steel on the inside.

I donā€™t think I ever saw an automatic transmission in a Jeep until the early to mid 80s, and I remember thinking it was like seeing a pink paint job on a halftrack. I donā€™t think urban yuppies and soccer moms discovered jeeps (Cj/Wranglers) until the mid-2000s. (It still looks funny to me to see a city gal wearing five pounds of makeup and sporting fancy boots and purse getting out of a Jeep. But then, I havenā€™t gotten used to all the non-divers wearing dive watches either. (It used to be much easier to identify folks with similar interests, as there was much less camouflage and subterfuge. :LOL: )

Regardless, I think weā€™ll see the economy sour before returning to something resembling normalcy. The government canā€™t borrow money to pay folks not to work forever. Once the economyā€™s reset button is hit we should be able to buy simple Jeeps for a reasonable price ā€” as long as theyā€™re still being made and weā€™re not experiencing Carter-like inflation. Fingers crossed.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Great idea. Unfortunately, that wonā€™t stop it from slamming into park if my door is ajar. šŸ¤¬
Why not? The extender is the best way to defeat it. Granted, most don't open doors while in gear or will change their methods, this is a viable way to defeat the installed safety system.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Why not? The extender is the best way to defeat it. Granted, most don't open doors while in gear or will change their methods, this is a viable way to defeat the installed safety system.
If youā€™re asking why the extender wonā€™t prevent auto-park from engaging if the door is ajar, I assume itā€™s because the seat belt and the door circuit are two separate triggers that are designed to independently engage the auto park. Iā€™m just guessing that was intentional, but maybe FCA will weigh in.

The original Tazer used to fully disable auto-park, so the Jeep could be rolled forward or back with belts undone and the door open, but that feature was deleted In more recent Tazer units. I assume that was intentional too.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Had to chuckle reading thru this list of 'wishes'. Some I get, many I think why are they buying a Jeep in the first place? Coming from a guy whose 1st Jeep 2dr is on order.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Had to chuckle reading thru this list of 'wishes'. Some I get, many I think why are they buying a Jeep in the first place? Coming from a guy whose 1st Jeep 2dr is on order.
Chuckling is good. Itā€™s the start of your Jeep entertainment ā€” and youā€™re not even building/driving it yet!

Welcome to the hobby. Jeeps are great fun, and there are a lot of great people here who are eager to help others, both here and on the trail.

And Merry Christmas!

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
If youā€™re asking why the extender wonā€™t prevent auto-park from engaging if the door is ajar, I assume itā€™s because the seat belt and the door circuit are two separate triggers that are designed to independently engage the auto park. Iā€™m just guessing that was intentional, but maybe FCA will weigh in.

The original Tazer used to fully disable auto-park, so the Jeep could be rolled forward or back with belts undone and the door open, but that feature was deleted In more recent Tazer units. I assume that was intentional too.
Except it does work. A lot of people are using an extender to stop AP from engaging.
Sponsored