What do you use to take your Jeep hard top off

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
As for the seals issue that JCSIEMAN raised, I read another thread that there are some people, who purchase the "pool noodle" rafts...They slice them down the middle, place them over the seals, and it acts to "protect it" for lack of a better term.
I'm planning on the gregwessel hoist above because I like how it goes all the way to the ceiling for max clearance and it uses 4 points of connection to keep the lift straight.

Unsure of the dimensions required, but I am going to explore the standard black pipe insulation you can get at any hardware store or online. I like that it's black and not wacky colors. Local stores should have sizes to insulate home copper piping, but may need to look online for larger diameters.
Sponsored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I have a Toplift Pro and love it. Very easy to remove and replace top, takes about 2 minutes, if that long. I used it in a small one car garage (have since moved to bigger house), and it fit with the jeep in the garage. Extremely sturdy and safe, easy to move with the rollers and they lock into place.
Yes it’s expensive but the ease of use and convenience became well worth the $$ after I used it a few times, and I use it often.
I’m happy to answer any questions.

9CE2A48D-2DFB-4B4C-A2A4-0015C178D893.jpeg
Does anyone know if the TopLift Pro will work with the JL? Imagine there should be no issue. Unfortunately a hoist system wont work for me and I have a one man solution.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Does anyone know if the TopLift Pro will work with the JL? Imagine there should be no issue. Unfortunately a hoist system wont work for me and I have a one man solution.
I would go to their website and ask them. I’m not sure any JL owners have one of these yet. I am leaning this way also. I was thinking after we get our JLs maybe we can do a group buy.

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
Harbor Freight winch in the ceiling, a "T" made from Unistrut sets on top of the hardtop, I use 3 J-hooks that I made from leaf spring U-Bolts. Lower it down, flip the hooks around and lift it up. I run a couple ratchet straps under it as extra safety.

As a bonus, if my top isn't off I use the winch to lift the front of my riding mower up so I can change the blades.

OP
OP
Sloxkhart98

Sloxkhart98

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangjer JL Rubicon
I’m getting ready to order one. If my garage had the space, I would think about a hoist. But this thing looks solid. They sent me a picture of someone using it on a JL. Also click on their Facebook page and there was a dealer using them on a JL

7EC6BFFB-1FF9-4C9D-9414-7B5F678B06F2.jpeg

Sponsored

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
I’m getting ready to order one. If my garage had the space, I would think about a hoist. But this thing looks solid. They sent me a picture of someone using it on a JL. Also click on their Facebook page and there was a dealer using them on a JL

7EC6BFFB-1FF9-4C9D-9414-7B5F678B06F2.jpeg
But $900 (essentially) for this thing? Are people really paying that much and finding value you that? Don’t get me wrong, it seems like a good solution, but the price is crazy considering there are good lifts for $350 out there that don’t take any floor space. You can buy that and a kayak (or a trip to Vegas) for the same price lol I think I’d pay about $500....but almost $1,000 is too much of a % of the total cost of the actual vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloxkhart98

Sloxkhart98

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangjer JL Rubicon
But $900 (essentially) for this thing? Are people really paying that much and finding value you that? Don’t get me wrong, it seems like a good solution, but the price is crazy considering there are good lifts for $350 out there that don’t take any floor space. You can buy that and a kayak (or a trip to Vegas) for the same price lol I think I’d pay about $500....but almost $1,000 is too much of a prevent of the total cost of the actual vehicle.
I totally get the price. It is high, but the people that have them love them. I saw one similar for 500 but it looked so flimsy. I wish I had a bigger (cleaner) garage for lift.

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
I totally get the price. It is high, but the people that have them love them. I saw one similar for 500 but it looked so flimsy. I wish I had a bigger (cleaner) garage for lift.
I guess that’s what they are banking on. I have a 3.5 12 ft tall garage so I can’t get to $900 for this thing with all the options at my disposal. But my last garage was a narrow 2 car with a low ceiling. If I still lived there I probably would have needed this at whatever the cost. They probably know the people in that boat are desperate enough to pay the premium. And it does look well built at least. They would catch more fish with a little cheaper bet though. Ha

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I would go to their website and ask them. I’m not sure any JL owners have one of these yet. I am leaning this way also. I was thinking after we get our JLs maybe we can do a group buy.
Keep me in the loop. I’m interested if we can get a deal.

Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I use my arms. Guess I'm odd.

I built one of those dollies out of 2x4 and casters to store it in the garage.

3512345179_95fc5b3876.jpg

These are like $30 to build. The casters were the biggest item to buy. You can download plans for free online.

Hard_Top_Cart.jpg

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
As a bonus, if my top isn't off I use the winch to lift the front of my riding mower up so I can change the blades.
Bonus points for utility!!!

(and hello from MO!)

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
In highschool my buddy had a hardtop YJ. That top sucked so hard to take on and off!
Having both a YJ and JK - the YJ hardtop is much more difficult to move. The JK Unlimited top is pretty easy. The JL is supposed to be lighter too.

The center of gravity of the tops is usually a few inches in from the back glass. The glass is the heaviest part, so the quarter glass and the rear glass will be the three heaviest parts. You'll need to focus on a spot to lift it between the three.

I dropped my YJ top by accident. Chipped the rear corners a little. Slipped off my shoulders while walking with it on me. For my YJ - I put a folding table behind my YJ and use that to slide it off. I have a safari rack on my YJ that I have to thread the hard top under and still over the roll cage.

Tintop

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Following to see what they say regarding the group buy. I'm going to purchase this week. Everything that I have read about these lifts is very positive.
Sponsored