What do you use to take your Jeep hard top off

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
So you need to leave the back glass open when it's hoisted?

First time owner, but am really interested in this setup because it offers the highest clearance by locating the pulleys in an attic space (which I have). Maybe put a foam noodle or pipe wrap on top of the roof to pull it all the way to ceiling height.

http://www.gregwessels.com/2015/06/01/jeep-lift.html
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer

wahlsaint

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6MT; Macan Turbo; Li'l Cooper; Subee, CR-V
Isn't the top light enough to merely use manual pulleys instead of an electric setup? Maybe coordinating a 3 pt pulley lift is more of a pita than I'm imagining?

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Have you tried it yet with JL?
No. I am waiting on the JT pricing to come out. If they don't do anything to stupid I will be ordering one ASAP. If it is over priced I will be ordering a 2 door Rubicon. Maybe by then they will have the anniversary edition out.

The only thing that will need modified for it to work will be the back hook. If I can't find what I'm looking for I will just make it. It won't be a problem.

Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
In my old house I had a Harbor Frieight electric hoist mounted into the roof of the garage. Two straps under the hardtop and that's it. About $100 in materials and a couple hours to rig it up. I didn't lift the top very high, just a couple inches and drive out.

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
I remember just manhandling the top off, but that was years ago, it hasn't been back on since. Good ol so cal weather.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
On my old Jeep with a one piece top, I made a table at the same height as the jeep in the back of the garage and slid it off.
In highschool my buddy had a hardtop YJ. That top sucked so hard to take on and off!

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Boat winch, eye screws, swivel pulleys, rope, some 2x4 and 4x4 wood scraps, and caribeaners. Can find all that for about $30 at industrial supply store.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Earlier I posted a stand alone hard top removal system. That's simply because I lack the ceiling garage space, that if I had, I'd go with one of the hoist systems of this post.

Sponsored

ClayMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RDX, BMW 328i Convertible

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Can these tops not be lifted on and off with pure will power? (Honest question) I wouldn’t put it down on the ground like this guy, but seems a lot faster, cheaper, and practical than everything else on this thread....

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
slide it off the back of the Jeep slowly, put in on my back and slowly walk it to a set of saw horses... :muscle: :cwl:

since the JL top is 20% lighter it may not be that bad anymore

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
Can these tops not be lifted on and off with pure will power? (Honest question) I wouldn’t put it down on the ground like this guy, but seems a lot faster, cheaper, and practical than everything else on this thread....

Literally had that in mind... just not sure if I’m tall enough though lol

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Home made jeep hoist. All it takes is a boat winch and some straps I just back in unbolt it run the straps through the hard top crank it up and lock it into place. Then swing a 4x6 ply wood hanging shelf under it, hook up the chains on the shelf and lower the top on to it. works great stores the 2 pieces of the front part on it as well. cost me less Than $75 to build. easy. there are a ton of example on other site.. I hungthe shelf high enough so I can pull into the garage and park with the hood under the shelf.

Yup, Harbor freight trailer hand winch, a pully and a home made metal cross thing with hooks to latch onto the top and lift it off for me.
Sponsored