Sponsored

What do you use to take your Jeep hard top off

Simp03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S 2 door
I was going to buy a hoist but decided to try the four ratchet straps first. Glad I did, very easy and cheap.
Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Any photos? And are the straps ratchet ?

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Any photos? And are the straps ratchet ?
I have a photo somewhere, but I use the pull tension straps rather then the ratchet. Pull and lift and you are done. Easy peasy and cheap. Been doing this for years going back to my JK.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I have a photo somewhere, but I use the pull tension straps rather then the ratchet. Pull and lift and you are done. Easy peasy and cheap. Been doing this for years going back to my JK.
Yes the wratched ones can slip easy when you go to listen them. I like the other ones like the anchor ones that are like tie-downs for motorcycles and such

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Yes the wratched ones can slip easy when you go to listen them. I like the other ones like the anchor ones that are like tie-downs for motorcycles and such
And on the way down you just put your hand underneath the hard top and push the strap release and it lowers as slow or fast as you want. It is the best way, really. Lowering ratchet straps suck.

Sponsored

steelchair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I built one very similar to this in the attic of my garage. It pulls the top up out of the way and I can easily do it on my own. Total cost was around $300.00. It's clean, easy and not terribly difficult to build. In addition to the hoist, and to address some of the concern others have mentioned, I added four eye bolts and two ratchet straps for safety. So, even if the hoist cable breaks, The top would only move an inch or two. I'll try to post some pictures if anyone is interested? I used 5lb rubber lifting balls I found at 5 below for the weight tension on the cables.
http://www.gregwessels.com/2015/06/01/jeep-lift.html

steelchair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I built one very similar to this in the attic of my garage. It pulls the top up out of the way and I can easily do it on my own. Total cost was around $300.00. It's clean, easy and not terribly difficult to build. In addition to the hoist, and to address some of the concern others have mentioned, I added four eye bolts and two ratchet straps for safety. So, even if the hoist cable breaks, The top would only move an inch or two. I'll try to post some pictures if anyone is interested? I used 5lb rubber lifting balls I found at 5 below for the weight tension on the cables.
http://www.gregwessels.com/2015/06/01/jeep-lift.html
Here's my setup...glad to answer any questions. I screwed up the measurement on the ceiling holes, but, I'm going to change to 4" PVC so it won't matter.

hoist 1.gif

hoist 2.gif

hoist top 1.gif

Quadratec

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quadratec.com
Vehicle(s)
CJ, YJ, XJ, TJ, JK, JL

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
It weighs about 100 pounds (just the top, not freedom panels), so if you can military press that much then maybe. I say good luck, it would be tough to balance and maneuver it even if you can handle the weight.
It has nothing to do with military press because (if you’re doing it right) your arms shouldn’t be pressing as much as locking out. Really, the weight is on your legs...if you can hold a 100lbs off the rack with your arms locked out, you should be fine. I take it off by hand all the time. Open the back window, sit in the trunk, stand up with it, set it on two Walmart folding tables in the garage (spaced long ways so I can walk between them). It is easy to balance as gravity/the big square top in the window section does all the work. Im 6’3”.

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Just used my Toplift Pro yesterday...Bam! Top off and stored away....topless in no time!

Sponsored

phillipndavis

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I’ve got my hoist all ready to go ... now I just need to acquire a soft top!

56AB19E4-F692-452C-9E86-195BDD9B5B7B.jpeg

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Since the scope of this thread isn't limited to garage ceiling systems (that some don't have), I thought I'd take the time to tell everyone about a new product I don't own or profit from.

For years, Dale at Freedom Jack has been producing hard top lifts that use a shop crane sold separately. Some love this, and others prefer systems like the Top Lift Pro that, while more expensive and more assembly intensive, don't require a separate purchase. And that's cool.

https://www.freedom-jack.com/

Dale's original device for the JK and JL, when examined from above or below, looked a bit like a letter "H." If you had or wanted headliners, while you'd probably be fine, like the Top Lift Pro, this device contacted them for lift.

But Dale's come up with a new product, the Freedom Jack 3, or FJ3 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Freedom-Ja...078212?hash=item364b457944:g:-aAAAOSw-INa77bK that may be a game changer.

The new design is now more like a letter "V." The base of the "V" contacts the rear lip of the hardtop, while the "V's" legs extend to contact the hard top at a place beyond (and where there isn't) any headliner in the rear section. And a lift like this, that doesn't touch the headliner, is one that can claim, with all headliner manufacturers, to do no damage.

Quality: IMHO Dale welds stuff you could drop out of a second story window, that would take effort to break.

I know little more. Contact Dale. I'm just a fanboy, not an owner/employee. Dale has all sorts of lift ideas even for truck cabs.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone seen this? https://www.extremeterrain.com/lange-hoistacart-2018-jl.html

Anyone have input or maybe used one? I am unfortunately unable to mount a lift to the ceiling because of the construction of the house and am trying to find something, while I really like the Top lift Pro it is outrageously priced for what it is.