What do you use to take your Jeep hard top off

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Have the TopLift Pro as well. I don't have the ability to add a hoist and have minimal garage space. This allows vertical and movable storage. Allows me to take the top off on the street...and also wheel it back up the drive way into the garage.
Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Those six bolts in the back that you take out does anyone have the wing nuts that you can buy just curious I saw them online for $30 it was six Wingnuts and you can undo them very quick when taking the top off

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Top lift looks great and seems easy to use but at a cost of $1000.00 is very pricey.
I guess being a one man job I will place the order NOW.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Lange Hoist-a-top (crank), but I use my drill w/socket for the worm drive crank. Faster.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Those six bolts in the back that you take out does anyone have the wing nuts that you can buy just curious I saw them online for $30 it was six Wingnuts and you can undo them very quick when taking the top off
I always had them on my JK's and even found them for my JL. Problem is those t-torx bolts are still time consuming to remove. A pain to remove in my opinion.

With that said, I purchased (other's here have too) purchased a little hand held, battery powered 3/8" ratchet handle to quickly (geeeez, I mean quickly) remove or reinstall the factory torx bolts with. Great little tool to have...

I got this one:
Milwaukee 2457-20 M12 Cordless 3/8" Sub-Compact 35 ft-Lbs 250 RPM Ratchet w/ Variable Speed Trigger

;;;;.jpg

If you want those t-torx aftermarket bolts, do be careful which you order because many here have reported that they got t-torx bolts that would not work with the JLU. Some were too long, etc.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
I always had them on my JK's and even found them for my JL. Problem is those t-torx bolts are still time consuming to remove. A pain to remove in my opinion.

With that said, I purchased (other's here have too) purchased a little hand held, battery powered 3/8" ratchet handle to quickly (geeeez, I mean quickly) remove or reinstall the factory torx bolts with. Great little tool to have...

I got this one:
Milwaukee 2457-20 M12 Cordless 3/8" Sub-Compact 35 ft-Lbs 250 RPM Ratchet w/ Variable Speed Trigger

;;;;.jpg

If you want those t-torx aftermarket bolts, do be careful which you order because many here have reported that they got t-torx bolts that would not work with the JLU. Some were too long, etc.
Harbor freight has a sale this weekend on a unit similar to the one you show. Comes with battery, charger and case $100.00 For that price you could buy 2 and leave 1 in the jeep.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Harbor freight has a sale this weekend on a unit similar to the one you show. Comes with battery, charger and case $100.00 For that price you could buy 2 and leave 1 in the jeep.
YUP that will do it...... pretty much any battery operated, hand held ratchet will do. Sure a better way then to be hand turning t-torx bolts or removing torx bolts with that tiny freebe Mopar ratchet handle...

p.s. I got my Milwaukee as a gift from my one son. 8-)

KillaRubi

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon (on order)
Occupation
IT
Okay thank you
I see some people run the straps front to back, but we decided against that due to warping the weather stripping on the rear window. The hinges for the rear window work well and are solid. Just have to pop the plastic covers off. I just leave them off all summer. Lower the frame down onto the top, run the straps, crank up, and then run back up straps to eye bolts in the ceiling. I dont have a tall garage so this maximizes the height, and once pulled up against the ceiling it doesnt move at all. winch was 30$ on amazon, pulleys in the attic (2) 5$ a piece, H frame about 30$ in parts. can be done for less than 100$.

IMG_2852.jpg

IMG_2853.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

psw757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-150 Lariat fx4
What's the general consensus on the Lange hoist a top simple with the strap and smart hook as the contact point vs the crank hoist a top with the 3 hooks? Any concern damaging the seals?

Don't want to wait several months for a top lift pro so I need to come up with a solution and we have 11 foot ceilings so I'm thinking something higher is better for our application.

Sponsored

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Has anyone actually used this?

I have it, it works pretty well. The version I have though has a net "basket" under the hardtop where the freedom tops sit. Without the freedom tops inserted, the setup will not balance out properly because the front end is too light.

The only downside is that you will always need a phone or smart device to control this. If you lose your phone you would need to bluetooth a new device to it. The pair button is on the winches, so it would be difficult to access them if the hardtop is already on the rack. For that reason, I have programmed it to several smart devices (iphone, ipad, spouses phone, etc.) If would be nice if they had an optional wired controller as well.

Magnetdragon

First Name
Erwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu!!

I got this one:

;;;;.jpg

This is literally one of the most convenient things I have bought in my tool chest... I can't recommend this enough cause you can use it for some hard to reach spot when wrenching... Only thing that's annoying is that it doesn't put that much power, but definitely worth it

Penukoko

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This is literally one of the most convenient things I have bought in my tool chest... I can't recommend this enough cause you can use it for some hard to reach spot when wrenching... Only thing that's annoying is that it doesn't put that much power, but definitely worth it

Any other recommended places to buy this, I don’t see it on harbor freights website and the ones I’ve found with a battery are all $150+