First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 MB SLK280; 2015 Acura MDX; 2006 Nissan Armada
Occupation
Pharmacist
Asked in another thread but once the hard top is on the toplift pro how is the mobility and can you lower it? I would have to take my hard top off in my driveway and then lower it to fit in my garage because there is literally less than 2 inches of clearance.
Watched a video on you tube from a gentleman with a similar clearance issue in his garage. The Top Lift Pro adjusts in height with the hard top on it on the fly. He lowered it to clear the garage doors, then relifted it up, and stored it. No muss, no fuss.
Sponsored

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Installed my Lange power hoist today. The hoist itself seemed ok. I wasn't impressed with the way it mounts. Not very sturdy.

The cradle that sits atop of the jeep is very disappointing. 1" tubing slid into 1.25" tubing wasn't tight. It sags and rattles around. It should be one piece of bar across the front. I'll be modifying it to make it acceptable.

Install was fairly easy. The higher the ceiling the better. I'll write up a full review in another thread

Terry09

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JKU
After dropping $50k plus on a brand new JLU Rubicon, I can’t possibly see myself paying almost a grand for something to take my top off. I completely understand the desired convenience. And if money were no object I might sing a different tune. But seriously.....for less than $25 you can get some straps, hooks and stud finder at Home Depot that will do the job. Yes - it might take a god awful 3 extra minutes but my bank account, beer habit and mistress thank me for it.

I’ve been using the self-made hoist (red straps connected to hooks drilled into studs in the ceiling) below for 4 years now. First on my JK and now my JLU....

23F650A1-3157-4FD6-8BC8-1709E568E188.jpeg
FEDD752E-F3AD-4D4F-810B-5F6EB0BF15EE.jpeg

Where did you get those larger plastic looking hooks?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I’ve been scrolling thru this post and Learned a lot, but what are the lifting points on the hard top? Where exactly do you hook the hooks as not to cause damage to the top. I cannot see this in any of the pictures except the one where the guy passes the straps all the way thru from back to front. But most don’t do that. Your reply will be appreciated.

Jdegid

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL unlimited
I spent $23
4 hooks rated at #250 ea.
4 Ratchet straps rated at #500 ea.
left over 2x4
currently looking for a old Pool noodle for extra padding

I lift it up just enough to pull out. Then when I lower it back on there is minimal chance of error

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

Sponsored

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
I spent $23
left over 2x4

I lift it up just enough to pull out. Then when I lower it back on there is minimal chance of error

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg
Beats spending a grand on a lift. LOL

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...
4BC5E3EA-5A49-475C-9F18-92DD3822C711.jpeg 4A3CE25C-14EE-4BFB-94F1-C0EFB4654B6D.jpeg 201D4343-2586-4E6A-A0FF-0163BB783652.jpeg Made a simple shelf. Wife and I simply lift and slide it onto the shelf. Still leaves room to park.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I have a little folding table a few feet behind where I park in my garage, and I basically just man up and lift it off, stagger a few steps forward, and half drop/half place it on the table lol.

Not elegant, but it's worked so far.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
All parts from home depot. About $45 total. Added a 5th strap in front to reach to back and hold the top forward from the cabinets. Im going to add the chain-suspended table for the hardtop to sit on as i saw in another DIY vid posted.

20180604_214009.jpg

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I spent $23
left over 2x4

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg
How do you ratchet it back down - seems like ratchet up is good - down not so much

Sponsored

Jdegid

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL unlimited
How do you ratchet it back down - seems like ratchet up is good - down not so much
when lowering I pull on the loose side of the strap while releasing ratchet haven't had a issue yet. If you have help around you could always ask for someone to lift up the corner a little to reduce tension . My wife has removed and installed by herself.

KillaRubi

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon (on order)
Occupation
IT
This is what I do with my JK (JL is on order).

IMG_2827.jpg

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Can you show me up close photo how you haven't hooked on the back I've seen people put the hooks in the holes on the front how do you have it hooked on the back what's it holding on toz
This is what I do with my JK (JL is on order).

IMG_2827.jpg
I know ratchet straps work the best because they don't loosen fast I wish the regular tie-downs would work and I know they don't because you can't loosen them slow and they can slip but I have like 30 of those tie downs from over the last six or seven years like brand-new I'll have to get some ratchet once I guess

KillaRubi

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon (on order)
Occupation
IT
Can you show me up close photo how you haven't hooked on the back I've seen people put the hooks in the holes on the front how do you have it hooked on the back what's it holding on toz

I know ratchet straps work the best because they don't loosen fast I wish the regular tie-downs would work and I know they don't because you can't loosen them slow and they can slip but I have like 30 of those tie downs from over the last six or seven years like brand-new I'll have to get some ratchet once I guess

I'll take another pic tonight. we built an H frame that the straps hook to and bought a hand crank winch that connects to the H frame, goes up into the attic,across two pulleys on a board, and down thru the ceiling to the h frame. that way i dont have to loosen any straps except for when the top is on the jeep. once its up we run another two straps to eye bolts in the ceiling as a backup in case the others give.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I'll take another pic tonight. we built an H frame that the straps hook to. Then once its up we run another two straps to eye bolts in the ceiling as a backup in case the others give.
Okay thank you
Sponsored