Sponsored

What do you use to take your Jeep hard top off

JeepJets

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
I hear you. It’s good to 14ft ceilings in your garage. The reason I like having a hoist up top rather than a freestanding unit is because I can park right up under it. I still have plenty of room to do work in the garage where I spend a lot of time watching TV, drinking beer and lounging with my boys.

It’s not a great pic but you can see a little of my JK top on the left with my JK under it. Unfortunately it’s the only picture I currently have with the top off. I’ll take some when I take the top off my JLU this weekend.

3B491E08-C500-45EE-93BE-B8D7D005D7E4.jpeg

Definitely need a larger TV for that man cave bro

:like:
Sponsored

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I sit mine on a three moving blankets folded to match the shape of the roof standing up on its back edge. Getting it off is easy , back on not so much.

For those of you using cheap ratchet straps ( cheap piques my interest) how do you lower the top slowly/evenly. I’ve only ratcheted things down never suspended so I’m curious how it works.

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
I use the cheap ratchet straps, and lowering it is easy as long as you only raise the top up a few inches off the body when you take it off initially. To put it back on, I use my hands to lift one side of the hardtop enough so the hooks swing free, and then lower the top down gently. Repeat on other side.

BlakWulf07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubicon JK/2018 Rubicon JLU
Oh wow I didn’t even see there was one in the first place ! Lol
Definitely need a larger TV for that man cave bro

:like:
If I didn’t already have two in my actual man cave I would definitely agree. That’s just for background noise while I work on projects....keep the dogs entertained.

TheWingman hit it right on the head...you only need to raise the top an inch or two off the body with ratchet straps....drive right out. It works great for me.

Sponsored

EROCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Cool thanks for the replies guys! I was having bad visions of lowering the top from high up with ratchet straps as the strap material tried to do the things where it slips and folds then binds etc.. Thanks for clearing that up!

goracers

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Anything new lately from the hoist where the back window shattered. I figured it was a fluke and raised the hard top today. However, I did it slowly!!

0296C505-FC02-4CFA-A82E-7354E852ACC9.jpeg

A642A731-2C4C-49C7-A1F6-7379B2D0CFB0.jpeg

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Anything new lately from the hoist where the back window shattered. I figured it was a fluke and raised the hard top today. However, I did it slowly!!

0296C505-FC02-4CFA-A82E-7354E852ACC9.jpeg

A642A731-2C4C-49C7-A1F6-7379B2D0CFB0.jpeg
Nice. Can you share a close picture of that contraption of pulleys?

UrbanRogue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Built this when I had my JKU. Drops to the floor. Friend and I lift off and place on top. Lift the front support bar I put on it. Strap it down for precaution. Then just pull the tie boss block and tackle system and she goes up easily.

Then I just tie a non slip knot to ensure it doesnt slip. Takes all of 20 mins to take off and put up.

20180507_211218.jpg

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Just curious to see what you guys are using to remove your hard tops. I am looking at the hoist from Liftop Pros. It’s pricey but looks very sturdy.

https://www.topliftpros.com/
I like that a lot but for that price you can build a hoist in the garage for about 450. that about 1200 with shipping. i met someone that will come to my house and build the hoist in my garage parts and labor for only 450 i will probably do that.

Sponsored

goracers

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Nice. Can you share a close picture of that contraption of pulleys?
Here you go. This is the Harken hoist on Quadratec’s site. I used the boards so I would not have to find studs for the 4 points.

64E63655-C3C2-4B80-8AE7-39012EC9917F.jpeg

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I just got my Lange power hoist. Should be installing it this weekend.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Everyone is coming out with Sly stuff with all these boards and making everything look nice and custom-built has anyone thought about painting the boards when they're done so I Blends in with the roof or the ceiling so you don't see all the boards as bad they're not noticeable I guess

Shwaman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
These all look great, the toplift pro is nice, but huge coin, especially since I am in Canada, with exchange, shipping, customs and brokerage fees this will be close to $2000 for me.

I also have the issue that I live in a condo. Does anyone on here have the same situation? in a condo or parking is a garage shared with other tenants? I was thinking I would lift it off and set it in my spot on a soft blanket in the times I take it off, I am a bigger guy, so don't think it will be an issue taking it off, it is the getting it back on that I am concerned about!

any thoughts? If I get into the top off, or soft top life.....I did find a service here that will pick up, and store the top for the season, probably just under $400 CAD

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my Lange power hoist. Should be installing it this weekend.
Installed my Lange Originals Power Hoist last night. As a quick heads up, it may come with a slight issue...

Check out the picture below. The round rubber stop that's designed trigger the motor's shut-off switch is "stuck" too close to the hook that connects to the lift mechanism. You have to cut off the bottom crimped fastener so that the stop can slide over to the proper place on the cable (see manual). Disappointing... but they do provide extra wire clamps. Evidently most of the units were sent out with this issue.

If anyone else's safety stop is located where mine was stuck, it will trigger the shut-off with even a light weight load.

Other than that, the install was fairly straight-forward. Works very well now.

IMAG0008.jpg

View attachment 42525

IMAG0021.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0