Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
JEALOUS RE. HARD TOP OFF

I'm jealous of all you guys and gals with 12-foot ceilings in your garages! Those great pictures hurt! In my approaching 40 years of home ownership, I've NEVER had, in any home, sufficient clearance above my vehicle anything close to being able to mount a pulley lift system of any kind.....
@Mad Hatter, you do realize that these devices don't take up much floor footprint beyond that shared with the JL, correct? The Top Lift Pro and Freedom Jack, for example, appear respectively below. Cheers. : - )

~~~~~~~

topliftpro2.jpg

freedomjack2.jpg

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
Thanks, Rahneld, for your comment. My lament was directed at the limited space in my garage above my vehicles, leaving little room for a roof-mounted hoist system. I have seen pictures of the TopLift Pro and it is enticing but pricey. I forgot about the Freedom Jack, thanks for bringing that back on my radar screen.

The wheeled systems are far more useful if one has a garage that one cannot park a vehicle in, due to all the "stuff"* stored there. To use a wheeled system, one need only clear the footprint and space for the roof overhang.
*-Kayak, 3 bicycles, generator, smaller generator, pressure washer, compressor, ladder, two stacks of winter tires (1 for each vehicle), floor jack, Thule system racks/mounts, etc., etc.--and then some. I think I need a second garage to park my vehicles!

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
As a dual top owner I was looking for more long term storage and since my garage like most has low ceilings I did not want to suspend the top at or near head height. I bought a couple racks at Costco the top fits nicely and allows me to keep it elevated and out of the way in the corner as well still store things on the rack below the top. While this is not a war to get it off I did carpet the top shelf so two people my wife and myself simply lift ot off and set on the shelf (no restraints required.

hard%20top%20storage%202_zpso1tsa0yq.jpg

hard%20top%20storage%201_zpsqud9nied.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Deleted member 29342

As a dual top owner I was looking for more long term storage and since my garage like most has low ceilings I did not want to suspend the top at or near head height. I bought a couple racks at Costco the top fits nicely and allows me to keep it elevated and out of the way in the corner as well still store things on the rack below the top. While this is not a war to get it off I did carpet the top shelf so two people my wife and myself simply lift ot off and set on the shelf (no restraints required.

hard%20top%20storage%202_zpso1tsa0yq.jpg

hard%20top%20storage%201_zpsqud9nied.jpg
When you get time come to me and organize my garage what a clean look you have. Also how did you get the hard top up there?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Lifted two people, no ladder needed not as high as it looks.

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
Random question. If you have a roof rack that’s mounted to the gutters, a standard Thule or Yakima gutter mounted rack, can you use one of those hoist systems and hook it to the cross bars to lift? Any reason not to?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Random question. If you have a roof rack that’s mounted to the gutters, a standard Thule or Yakima gutter mounted rack, can you use one of those hoist systems and hook it to the cross bars to lift? Any reason not to?
On the racks I've seen the front bar attaches to freedom panels (so that's gotta come off) and the back one is just in front of the back window. The top is obviously "back heavy", so I wouldn't want to try picking it by that bar.

Sponsored

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
True. But if I moved them so the front one is on the front of the rear piece and then the back bar is as far back as it can mount I would think it would be ok. Just wondering if hanging from the ceiling like that with the only contact point being the gutters would in anyway mess it up.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
True. But if I moved them so the front one is on the front of the rear piece and then the back bar is as far back as it can mount I would think it would be ok. Just wondering if hanging from the ceiling like that with the only contact point being the gutters would in anyway mess it up.
Thinking as an engineer Jon, with the "new and 20% lighter" JL (4 door) top weighing in at about 100 lbs, I think the most vulnerable point, the connection at the rain gutters, would be, with 4 connection points, 25 lbs and likely to be fine: assuming your rack to have the ability to carry at least 100 pounds and the rest of the rigging you set up somewhat beyond that threshold too.

But I do speak in generalities.

: - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Thinking as an engineer Jon, with the "new and 20% lighter" JL (4 door) top weighing in at about 100 lbs, I think the most vulnerable point, the connection at the rain gutters, would be, with 4 connection points, 25 lbs and likely to be fine: assuming your rack to have the ability to carry at least 100 pounds and the rest of the rigging you set up somewhat beyond that threshold too.

But I do speak in generalities.

: - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That might work. Not sure I personally would trust it but it could be fine. You must also consider that they are designed for weight pushing downward, not pulling upward.