Sponsored

What do you think of this deal?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
A note about Carfax. They are far from accurate. I have seen cars that had 50% of the panels re-painted and obvious body damage with "clean" Carfax reports. My advice is to have a trusted body shop look over any used cars before buying if you don't know what to look for. And use a paint thickness meter if you do know what to look for. This advice is probably more important with certain sports cars then Jeeps but still valid.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interestingly there were 3 fleet vehicles that were listed when we bought ours with consecutive VINs. Never did have a chance to check them out because the dealer seemed kinda shady and was very hard to get a hold of.

So for sure would talk to your dealer to get more info if possible. As sometimes carfax fails to note repairs if done in-house. More info is always better to piece together the vehicle history. That would be my primary focus - then test drive - then price.

“ Speaking from a wholesale point of view, ex-fleet vehicles are generally worth at least 10% less than comparable new car trade-ins because fleet vehicles are expected to have been mistreated and poorly maintained.”

https://www.autobytel.com/car-buyin...s-buying-an-ex-fleet-car-a-good-idea-104190/#
OP is at 30% depreciation off MSRP for a one year old vehicle with slightly above average miles. That is probably right at a fair retail for that vehicle considering it was a fleet vehicle. Maybe OP forgot to list it? One option I did not see was Select-Trac. Select-Trac is a very desirable option if going with a Sahara because it's only available with a Sahara or Moab.

Personally I would delete some of the options, add Select Trac if going with a Sahara and order new for 7% under invoice. I'd get rid of leather, dual top, safety, advanced safety, headliner, colored hard top. That probably would make a new 2020 about $7K-$8K more. About $5K of that would be a wash for a one year newer vehicle at resale. The additional $2K-$3K would be for peace of mind knowing I had a fresh new vehicle with a full warranty. Or look for another nice pre-owned with the options you had to have. Of course all my suggestions go out the door if that Sahara is exactly what OP wants and they are on a strict budget. It's easy for me to spend someone else's money. Lol.

2019 Unlimited Sahara
Leather
Cold weather
Trailer Tow
LED Lighting Group
Infotainment
Dual Top
Safety Group
Advanced Safety Group
Hard Top Headliner
All weather floor mats
Auto
Anti Spin rear
eTorque
Keyless Entry
Color Match Hard Top
18” Polished Gray wheels

$39k

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remember fleet vehicles lose the factory warranty.
Yeah, might be State specific but personally I would pass either way.

Last edited:

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Yeah, might be State specific but personally I would pass either way.
If this is true I would definitely not buy it.
I'm fairly certain this is true for all states based on manufacturer policies.

There is a dealership down the street from me called Arlington Toyota. They advertise used cars for thousands less than any other dealership around. Once you get into the finance office it is mandatory to buy a warranty (plus quite a few other bs add ons) because all the cars are fleet vehicles. They advertise cars that have very low miles so the buyer will think it still has a factory warranty. Big surprise once you are in the office. The car that was listed thousands below everyone else ends up being thousands more....
Sponsored