Sponsored

What do you think about the reduced electric range?

The Abbot

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Looking on the Jeep website I noticed that the claimed electric range has gone down from 25 to just 21 miles. Thoughts? Anyone considering cancelling their order or switching to another powertrain?
Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Don't care as it wasn't even close to a primary consideration to purchase.

Rinav

First Name
Rinav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4XE
I was disappointed seeing the battery change from 17.3 to 16 kWh, but I am having to remind myself that I would have still ordered the Jeep if it was originally advertised with a 16 kWh battery. I am just glad that we are still eligible for the full $7500 tax credit.

Sponsored

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
I would have preferred an underestimate, but I won't cancel my order because of it.

I did considered cancelling, though, because of late availability of Hydro and of black top & fender which I would have preferred. That, plus the overall delay (18 weeks since my order), has me more than a little frustrated by the whole situation. I could have been Jeeping in a normal Rubicon all last summer, fall and winter.

I just hope this power train is far and away better than the 2.0L. Given the spec's, I think it will be and that is what keeps me from cancelling.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I was disappointed seeing the battery change from 17.3 to 16 kWh, but I am having to remind myself that I would have still ordered the Jeep if it was originally advertised with a 16 kWh battery. I am just glad that we are still eligible for the full $7500 tax credit.
Has anyone actually confirmed the battery is now 16 kw? Most of what I can find, if it mentions it at all, is still 17.3 kw. I am somewhat disappointed but not in a huge way. Who knows what we will actually get.

Oneilc01

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray Turbo
Looking at the European Jeep sites it still states 17kw and 50km range. My guess is itā€™s all the same and just EPA qualifiers. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Jeep Wrangler JL What do you think about the reduced electric range? 1615594000659

Jeep Wrangler JL What do you think about the reduced electric range? 1615594060766

Roverhi

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Series 2 88
Clubs

Just wondering if the reduced range and battery size may be the difference between computer controlled range and maximum range if there wasn't some backup capacity for the battery programmed in. My understanding is the computer/software always keep some battery capacity in reserve possibly to keep the added oomph of the electric propulsion available. Could the reduction in range and battery capacity just be subtracting the reserve amount from what is available for regular all electric propulsion.

GETLAF

First Name
Seb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon, BMW I3 REX
If we are talking about +- 50Km range I would be more than happy with this number as it is about the range to my job (one way dirve). But Still, I do based my expectation on less than that...

Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
I simply feel it is the EPA and their testing criteria being what it is. Lets be honest here, mpg has a lot of variables for each driver. This vehicle is going to have those same many variables but some can even have more impact than with ICE. The actual numbers for each person are going to vary greatly.

cutandrun

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 turbo, Mercedes G550, Rubicon 4xe
Has anyone actually confirmed the battery is now 16 kw? Most of what I can find, if it mentions it at all, is still 17.3 kw. I am somewhat disappointed but not in a huge way. Who knows what we will actually get.
Iā€™d be surprised if the battery capacity changed. Iā€™m sure that was specā€™d out a long time ago. Way more likely that EPA measurements are quirky.

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Love the Wrangler, but not the limited range or complexity of the design.
So in 2019 I bought the six-speed cause I love shifting gears and thinking it would be the most simplistic design, so there would be less to go wrong mechanically. BOY was I wrong. Steering issues, and the recent recall letter saying my off-road GOAT might spontaneously combust and thereā€™s no immediate fix? This is pure horse hockey!
Hope Iā€™m wrong AGAIN about this 4xe.

Rinav

First Name
Rinav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4XE
Jeep.com states it's a 16 kWh battery (see below). Here's some wishful thinking... maybe the people who ordered their 4xe early have the 17.3 kWh battery, then Jeep had to change their specs due to battery availability.

A 4X4 FIRST AND FOREMOST

The Wrangler 4xe system is paired with a 2.0L I4 DOHC direct-injection Turbo PHEV engine to bring out the best in already proven JeepĀ® Brand 4x4 capability. A 16-kWh lithium-ion battery pack, regenerative brake booster and eight-speed automatic transmission work together to send impressive amounts of power and torque to each wheel, maximizing the capability of every component. The sealed and waterproof battery pack and electronics even perform in tough conditions like fording creeks( Disclosure8) and streams up to 30 inches in depth. Preproduction model shown.
Sponsored