Sponsored

What do you need to drive in 3 feet of snow.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
dcmdon said:
But your neighbor who died in his car in a snowbank. He deserved to die.
Please tell me that you don't have a role that involves speaking to next of kin. It's one thing to say that someone was ill-prepared, but to say that they deserved to die. Heartless.
You are right. I was wrong in saying anyone deserved to die.

I didn't really think it through. What I meant to convey was that they died because of their own actions or inaction. Poor judgement in choosing to go out. Poor judgment in not being prepared in their car in the winter in buffalo just before a blizzard (Water, a sleeping bag, a full tank of gas)

They died directly because of choices they made. - is what I should have said.

Nobody who isn't acting with evil intent deserves to die.

I was wrong to say that.
Sponsored

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
CA/NV Sierra in December of this year... Typical, 5 day snow storm that wasn't even newsworthy. (Probably dropped about 6-8 feet). We have 4 Jeeps (Grand Cherokee, Cherokee, TJ and a JL) and drive in the snow freqently. However, during these multi-day storms, I've learned, that most often it's best to stay put (if you can) and wait it out. As others have said, There are just too many variables. Better safe than sorry.

Just my .02.
Jeep Wrangler JL What do you need to drive in 3 feet of snow. OIP
Wealthy semi rural area with small population vs urban narrow streets with high density population. Think entire city like Donner summit at its worst without the cool snow removal tech , at least Buffalo doesn’t have scary fire storms.

Sponsored

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Wealthy semi rural area with small population vs urban narrow streets with high density population. Think entire city like Donner summit at its worst without the cool snow removal tech , at least Buffalo doesn’t have scary fire storms.
Lake Tahoe clocked 150 MPH winds the other day....

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Uhh on the peaks at ski resort not in the city, so not sure of your point.
UHH I wasn't making a point other than a headline I read earlier today. I'll stay out of the way now and let you get back to the serious science.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
UHH I wasn't making a point other than a headline I read earlier today. I'll stay out of the way now and let you get back to the serious science.
😂

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Not exactly sure what that has to do about driving in severe snow storms. Most agencies/jurisdictions close the roads in extreme snow storms regardless of population, street width, wealth status or plowing capabilities. FWIW- the sierra town I'm in has a population of 6 people in the winter, and while it would be great to have "cool snow removal tech", sadly we don't. We are just stuck with the "scary fire storms". Nevertheless we consider it a little slice of heaven.

Sponsored

Moblrn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 3.6 liter V6
Occupation
RN
Unless you are a trained emergency professional, please do not add to the number the professionals need to potentially rescue.

Stay off the roads and go play out in a field until you find out the answer with your particular vehicle.

I love to drive in the snow, but my Jeep is not the best thing I have driven in the snow. I will stay home. I have operated multiple rescue vehicles in all types of weather, but I was much younger then.

Rod

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
I think my issue with this, is that whole area has been getting HUGE snow storms going back decades. Every time, they act like it's the "storm of the century". We long hauled from 1991-2001 and ran through that corridor regularly. From Cleveland to Buffalo, that area gets pounded with lake effect storms dropping huge snowfall in a short period of time. 2-3' in 24 hours is regular, 4-6' over 2 days is not unheard of. The high winds can be present or not, but I remember SEVERAL storms along the I90 corridor between Erie and Buffalo in the course of 10 years of driving through there. At least two of them shut down I-90 from Erie to Syracuse, or even Albany. We'd get stuck on one side or the other, and have to route around. A couple of them involved large loss of life like this one, and it pains me to see it happen regularly.

Buffalo was always getting buried, and then they'd take a week at least to clear it out. It's not like they suddenly have the need for snow removal equipment and people to run it, it's poor planning on their part, or misappropriation of funds, or complete lack of memory from administration to changing administration. They go several years with no big storm, and they lose the ability to prepare for the next big one that is FOR SURE coming.

We've always continued to watch the storms that hit the Northeast, because it reminds us of the hauling we did (high value products). We met some marvelous people, and some real jackholes along the way, and we saw some neat places and hauled some very interesting items. I remember having to route all the way down to Southern PA to get around a bad one, it shut I-90 down for over a week. We caught the edge of it coming out of Massachusetts, dove way South to avoid it, and it was another life loss event like this one.

It just seems like they lose their memory of these awful storms until the next big one hits, then they're right back to people not being prepared for them mentally and taking appropriate steps.

I really hate to see people lose their lives over not taking this stuff seriously enough.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
+1 to Robert's post. The difference between the snowstorms of yesteryear and today isn't one of severity, but rather of our connectedness, the degree to which we're now plugged in...and by extension, how easily the Chicken Littles in the media can sell us their tales of woe.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
No, a Jeep can't drive through 3 feet of snow, it can plow through 3 foot drifts easily but.. No.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Oh no it can. It just depends if it’s dry or wet snow ;)
Sponsored

Reactions: AFD