Sponsored

What do you do with your doors when you take them off?

JeepyD

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T
Hi, do you remember the specs of the bolts used to secure the 2x6 to the wall?
I used deck lag bolts used to secure a wooden deck to the back of a house. Probably overkill, and I put 2 per door secured to the wall studs. It's very solid.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I built some 2x4 wall brackets with eye-bolts for hinges similar to the design from the you-tube-channel-that-must-not-be-named.

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
I built some 2x4 wall brackets with eye-bolts for hinges similar to the design from the you-tube-channel-that-must-not-be-named.
Been on the forum for a little bit and keep noticing the "must not be named" or "banned site" that replaces a link. I saw the video of the setup you are referring to and am guessing it is [Banned Site]?

1. is that the "banned site"? and
2. why? just curious. Have seen some of their videos and they seem helpful? 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
2. why? just curious. Have seen some of their videos and they seem helpful? 🤷‍♂️
I'm curious about that myself.... 🤔

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
The main thing with hinge mounts is that it would be nice to get hinge-mount-holes that exactly or close match the size of the wrangler door pins. I've seen folks use barn hinges but have no idea how to exactly figure out which size they are, and it's not like other things where you can just take the pins to the store to match them.

Ordinary door hinge pins are obviously much smaller than the wrangler door pins.

So with the 1/4" eye bolts, they're a bit oversized, and that leaves the pins able to bump around and actually the eye bolts bump up against the doors a bit on the lower door.

But so far I don't see any sign of damaged paint.

Still, I think before I use 'em again, I'm just going to give them a good wrapping of painters tape or electrical tape and call it a day.

Also, even though the doors are aluminum, I find 'em a bit heavy and cumbersome, and I need to be cautious of re-injuring my shoulder, so I think I may MacGyver up some type of wheeled lifting-dolly-assist for lifting the door off and rolling it around the garage.... If I do it right, it'll be dual purpose for lifting the oversized spare off the rear door.

History: Earlier in jlforum days there was some controversy between the denizens of jlwranglerforum and the-site-that-must-not-be-named, and some brigading and other violations of good netiquette. So I hear. I wasn't there.

Reactions: AMT

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
History: Earlier in jlforum days there was some controversy between the denizens of jlwranglerforum and the-site-that-must-not-be-named, and some brigading and other violations of good netiquette. So I hear. I wasn't there.
Huh you learn something new. You'd figure people would eventually let go and let live, but oh well. *shrug*

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
History: Earlier in jlforum days there was some controversy between the denizens of jlwranglerforum and the-site-that-must-not-be-named, and some brigading and other violations of good netiquette.
I learned a new word today. Sure, it's esoteric shorthand, but that's fine. 👌

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I have Go Without Doors too. Makes a great place to also store my roof panels since I have a 2 door.

Jeep Wrangler JL What do you do with your doors when you take them off? FBF108EF-FA01-4B24-A617-C51C4EB67036

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
The main thing with hinge mounts is that it would be nice to get hinge-mount-holes that exactly or close match the size of the wrangler door pins. I've seen folks use barn hinges but have no idea how to exactly figure out which size they are, and it's not like other things where you can just take the pins to the store to match them.

Ordinary door hinge pins are obviously much smaller than the wrangler door pins.

So with the 1/4" eye bolts, they're a bit oversized, and that leaves the pins able to bump around and actually the eye bolts bump up against the doors a bit on the lower door.

But so far I don't see any sign of damaged paint.

Still, I think before I use 'em again, I'm just going to give them a good wrapping of painters tape or electrical tape and call it a day.

Also, even though the doors are aluminum, I find 'em a bit heavy and cumbersome, and I need to be cautious of re-injuring my shoulder, so I think I may MacGyver up some type of wheeled lifting-dolly-assist for lifting the door off and rolling it around the garage.... If I do it right, it'll be dual purpose for lifting the oversized spare off the rear door.

Go to Lowes and buy one of those drywall panel carriers and put some foam where it contacts the door.

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Gowithoutdoors.com

IMG_20220807_122445583_HDR.jpg
I'm going to see if I can find a set of sturdy metal dining table chairs at a yard sale or thrift shop and make one of those. It doesn't look too hard and I already have most of the hardware I would need. I already made a carrier out of a furniture dolly and PVC pipe, but I made it a bit too big.
Sponsored