Sponsored

What do you call a Jeep Wrangler?

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
I was watching a YouTube guy that lives out of his Jeep Wrangler year round. I got some great ideas from him for doing certain things to my JLUR when it comes in. However, I found myself getting really annoyed because he constantly referred to his Wrangler as his “car”. I’ve always referred to cars as cars and trucks as trucks. And even SUVs as SUVs. But then I got to thinking about Jeep Wranglers specifically. They don’t really meet the definition of any of those things. Other Jeep’s do as SUVs and Gladiators do as trucks but it got me wondering what Jeep Wrangler owners refer to their Jeep Wranglers as? So, what do you all refer to them as?
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
"My Jeep."

It's instructive to consider that owners of other vehicles within the brand tend to refer to them, perhaps out of necessity, by the model's name. Cherokee, Patriot and so on.

Arguably, it's just the Wrangler owners that enjoy the privilege of saying "Jeep", knowing that the recipient will understand which vehicle we own. As it has been said, There's only one.

Barely Krawlified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I use the terms “Jeep” and “rig” interchangeably although when in doubt I always choose “Jeep”.

It’s funny because my FIL (helluva guy BTW) had an old CJ-5 back when my wife was just a kid and he enjoys telling me about the adventures he enjoyed in it. When he found out that we had joined the Jeep fraternity by purchasing our JLUR last year one of the first things he told me was to never refer to my Jeep as a car.

His rule not mine but I can see his thought pattern...

Sponsored

OP
OP
J.Ralston

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
Sounds like my gut was right, of just referring to them as Jeep’s. And yes, I was shaking my head every time dude referred to his as a car, even though I’m technically not a Jeep owner yet. But mine cannot get here fast enough.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like my gut was right, of just referring to them as Jeep’s. And yes, I was shaking my head every time dude referred to his as a car, even though I’m technically not a Jeep owner yet. But mine cannot get here fast enough.
You're right. Calling a Jeep a car is a no-no! Post pictures when you get it and welcome aboard!

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep or baby girl..... mostly Jeep.... it's a one of a kind ...

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I was watching a YouTube guy that lives out of his Jeep Wrangler year round. I got some great ideas from him for doing certain things to my JLUR when it comes in. However, I found myself getting really annoyed because he constantly referred to his Wrangler as his “car”. I’ve always referred to cars as cars and trucks as trucks. And even SUVs as SUVs. But then I got to thinking about Jeep Wranglers specifically. They don’t really meet the definition of any of those things. Other Jeep’s do as SUVs and Gladiators do as trucks but it got me wondering what Jeep Wrangler owners refer to their Jeep Wranglers as? So, what do you all refer to them as?
On a bad day? r good day? Either way I might get banned .. but frankly, I don't get why some feathers ruffle when called a car.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
A rig to me is something that is more. It includes a trailer and is outfitted for a specific purpose. A drilling rig, 18 wheeler etc.

A Wrangler/CJ is the only thing that can be referred to as a Jeep. Anything else in the brand must have the qualifier of it’s model name included. In high school I had a Scout II. My Mom always called it a “jeep”. Drove me nuts. In other countries a lot of 4x4s are genericly referred to as “jeeps”. Could be a Nissan Patrol, FJ or Land Rover.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I usually say Jeep. I might occasionally say car, because to me any ride might be generically called a car. I never say truck, because for the past 40 years I've always had a Dodge pickup as well as a Jeep, and those are trucks to me. (BTW...semi drivers dont usually think pickups are trucks)

But I'm one of those heretical weirdos who has a Jeep because I like them, but doesnt think they're anything special and exclusive. My shotguns are shotguns, not "Mossbergs", my footwear are boots, not "Corcorans". I dont feel any particular need to distinguish.

Not judging...everyone gets to call them what they like. I have friends who always refer to their Jeeps by name...Lizzy, RedRider, etc.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I just say my/the Jeep. But outside of that it's most similar to a SUV. Definitely not a car. But if someone else calls it a car, I don't care.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I refer to it as the Jeep unless I'm in the company of other Jeeps at which point I refer to it as my rig.
Sponsored