Sponsored

What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Some other things they got right:

-Painting the instrument panel (Except it should have been body color.)
-Easily replaceable cross-members on the frame. I've beaten the hell out of mine. They are in just the right spot to take most of the bumping/grinding I've done while off-road. Mine still have lots of life left in them, but one day they'll be chewed up so badly that I'll unbolt them and swap them out.
-Big brake package. Does the job of hauling this thing down and does it well.
-Adaptive cruise control. It works MUCH better than the Nissan Armada I've been driving on vacation the last week. Much better. It reacts much more quickly and the emergency braking assist also works better. Maybe it's the flat windshield?
-Ergonomics for my 6'5" frame. My elbows and arms rest in the perfect position. The only thing I'd change is to have more thigh support in the seat. But I can still drive many, many hours comfortably in it.
-E-torque 3.6. From driving this thing around almost a month, they nailed it. My wife is getting almost 20mpg in city driving and absolutely loves her Jeep. It is such a seamless start/stop. Much better than the ESS on my 2018/manual, which I have disabled using the Tazer JL.

I'm sure I'll think of more. But as much as I loved my YJ and still love my JK, this thing is the best Jeep, ever. That's why we now have 2 JL's in the stable. My wife loves hers, too!
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I really dig the “frameless” rearview mirror. It cleans up the view in front.

Jeep Wrangler JL What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL? 1640449470825

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Everything that was necessary to prompt me to buy my first Wrangler. It hasn't disappointed.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I like the exterior redesign over the JK. It's subtle and fresh. It's as if they decided to use the JK as a base and tweak it instead of scraping the JK design and starting over (like manufactures often do with other makes/models). It's weird how it looks the same but different and I mean that in a good way.
The proportions of the 4 door JL look right, more Jeep-like than the JKU which looks like a slightly stretched 2 door.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
1. 8 Speed Auto
2. The looks of the Wrangler.
3. Alpine Stereo system

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
The 2021 jl rubicon juts bought it and the worst handling ever .
The other day I was driving in the rain from cr to New York this car is a hazard plain and simple .
It’s like the car isn’t grounded to floor your floating and heaven forbid you hit a bump doing 60 miles an hour the car skips and you could lose control .

i wonder is this juts my truck or everyone is having this issue .
Please comment since my dealer isn’t even helping me they had it twice and still the truck handles terrible .

this truck is a hazard so t buy a wrangler I was so excited but now the dealer doesn’t even return calls .

68000 dollars for a truck I can’t drive safely .
Thanks for the vent time people but honestly don’t buy a jeep wrangle r 2021 .

I’m actually selling it for 65k with2800 miles .
Looks great but I don’t recommend it and trying to sel mine .

twice they had it and no improvement don’t know what else to do except call Jeep direct again .
Also filing a complaint with New York attorney general .

1F6DF62B-9031-40E5-A096-54DDE3C44EFD.jpeg
hahaha k -- it's probably just your truck. I have 3 of them and they all drive great, but the 392 drives by far the best of any of them!

If you've never driven a Jeep don't get me wrong, the steering is more flighty because it's a solid front axle with a steering gear design, but absolutely not hazardous.

For me, I just love the fact that the Bronco came out and Jeep responded, giving us more choices and a better Wrangler -- especially one with a v8!

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
And now, back to our regularly scheduled thread. :)

-----------------

My only quibble is that the JL's rear window panel isn't designed to be rolled up, as it expressly was on the YJ. I used that feature frequently, and do miss it a bit some days now. Hardly a deal-breaker, though.
You can still roll up the rear window in the JL. It even came with the button straps to roll it into. Problem is, unless it's spotless, you're going to scratch the shit out of it everytime.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/does-soft-top-back-window-roll-up-in-jl.10600/

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
A lot of good stuff. My understanding was that jeep surveyed over 60k jeep owners on what they liked, and what they didn't like and then actually listened to them and did almost everything jeep owners requested to make the JL. This is my first Jeep a Willys sport so I don't have any experience to share on previous ownership.

That said I pretty much love everything about my jeep, except, I wish it didn't tell me every time I make a call "to end the call push the phone hang up button on the steering wheel" I am not 4 and don't need to be told every fricken time. Lol. Maybe once every 50 calls would have been okay.

I think jeep did a really good job with the JL.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
>What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL?

OK, this is a bit dark, but on another forum I saw a photo of a 4xe JL that rolled to the bottom of a long hill at our local off-road park. The Jeep is totalled, but the rollbar protected the integrity of the passenger compartment, and the driver was uninjured. In his words:

"I rolled more than 20 times and 300 feet down a cliff"

Having been there, it's not a literal Wil-E-Coyote style cliff, but is an extremely steep incline: 45 degrees or more. You'd look at it and go "Oh Shit!"

Anyhow, roll bars aren't glamorous. Everyone tries to avoid actually using them. So it's the kinda thing that it's real easy to cheap out on. But the engineers knew that JL owners take their Jeeps onto sketch trails, and being human sometimes make human mistakes.

Roll cage and passenger protection is something they got right. :clap:
JL scores in the range of poor to good across a variety of IIHS and NHSTA safety tests. This gave the wife some pause as I was shopping for a vehicle to fill the hole left by the pickup truck I had sold. I find myself driving about 10 to 15 mph more slowly in the Jeep vs our other vehicles due to the handling and the fuel efficiency.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
JL scores in the range of poor to good across a variety of IIHS and NHSTA safety tests. This gave the wife some pause as I was shopping for a vehicle to fill the hole left by the pickup truck I had sold. I find myself driving about 10 to 15 mph more slowly in the Jeep vs our other vehicles due to the handling and the fuel efficiency.
It may not be great, but to be fair, it's still worlds better than the JK that came before it. Hopefully the Bronco moves the goalposts in this regard. So far we're pretty lenient because it's got a removable lightweight roof and removable lightweight doors lol.

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I like the storage options. Of course, I ended up carrying a recovery bag and a couple of toolboxes and other stuff that has discouraged me from ever folding the back seats down again, but if I ever have cause, I have just about as much cargo room as a short bed pickup truck in this thing, and it only takes a few seconds to switch it over. Take the top off, and it can do a lot of the work of a pickup truck. When I bought the Jeep, I didn't trade my truck, but I did eventually just go ahead and sell it. It was largely redundant.

I like the interior layout too. It looks sharp. It's functional. It's reasonably easy to keep clean.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
JL scores in the range of poor to good across a variety of IIHS and NHSTA safety tests. This gave the wife some pause as I was shopping
Everyone who's interested should actually go to the IIHS page
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicl...021#front-crash-prevention-vehicle-to-vehicle

And look at the results, and read what IIHS wrote.

In terms of my original point, about body integrity and protection of the passenger compartment, IIHS results absolutely confirm what I said about body integrity and passenger protection.

To your point about highway safety, yes there is one "poor" result and it is in their evaluation of - drumroll - *headlights*

The larger point about overall safety, after scoring every aspect of structure and crash-dummy kinematics with a green "G" the IIHS then wrote:

In both of the Institute's tests, the vehicle tipped onto its passenger side after striking the barrier. The partial rollover presents an additional injury risk beyond what the standard criteria are intended to measure in small overlap frontal crash tests. A vehicle tipping onto its side is not an acceptable outcome for a frontal crash and, as a result, the Wrangler's overall rating was downgraded to marginal.
So, IIHS downgraded the wrangler to "marginal" because it flopped on its side during the crash test, even though the dummies "walked away" from the crash.

I'm OK with that. If your *primary consideration* in choosing a vehicle is occupant safety, you probably shouldn't be choosing a wrangler!

But if what you're looking for to fulfill your vehicle needs is a high ground clearance on and off road machine, well then, I continue to submit that the Jeep engineers have done an *outstanding* job of providing passenger protection within the envelope of that overall design mission.

I find myself driving about 10 to 15 mph more slowly in the Jeep vs our other vehicles due to the handling ...
Good. Excellent even. The Wrangler is fundamentally *NOT* a high speed machine. To operate our JLs safely on the highways and streets we should all be driving with a modicum of caution and restraint. When you want to go fast, pull a different arrow out of your quiver.

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
i wonder is this juts my truck or everyone is having this issue .
Please comment
I just completed a 1400 km highway drive in winter weather with my 2021 JLU, some good highways, so terrible - no issues at all like you describe. Very comfortable ride and I was always in complete control.

bgsujeeper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Altitude Sport
I’ve owned a 99 TJ sport, an 03 TJ Rubicon, and a 2007 JKU sport and can say, without a doubt, that my current 21 JLU sport altitude is the best off the lot off-road Jeep I’ve had. That capability is what I love most about the Jeep.

I agree with many that the interior and/or dashboard is laid out exceptionally well; the ability to customize the display with whatever you want also is fantastic.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everyone who's interested should actually go to the IIHS page
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicl...021#front-crash-prevention-vehicle-to-vehicle

And look at the results, and read what IIHS wrote.

In terms of my original point, about body integrity and protection of the passenger compartment, IIHS results absolutely confirm what I said about body integrity and passenger protection.

To your point about highway safety, yes there is one "poor" result and it is in their evaluation of - drumroll - *headlights*

The larger point about overall safety, after scoring every aspect of structure and crash-dummy kinematics with a green "G" the IIHS then wrote:

So, IIHS downgraded the wrangler to "marginal" because it flopped on its side during the crash test, even though the dummies "walked away" from the crash.

I'm OK with that. If your *primary consideration* in choosing a vehicle is occupant safety, you probably shouldn't be choosing a wrangler!

But if what you're looking for to fulfill your vehicle needs is a high ground clearance on and off road machine, well then, I continue to submit that the Jeep engineers have done an *outstanding* job of providing passenger protection within the envelope of that overall design mission.

Good. Excellent even. The Wrangler is fundamentally *NOT* a high speed machine. To operate our JLs safely on the highways and streets we should all be driving with a modicum of caution and restraint. When you want to go fast, pull a different arrow out of your quiver.
I agree. I have no qualms about the Wrangler’s overall safety.
Sponsored