Sponsored

What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL?

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I really like my 2020 JL 2 door. I have the 8 speed 3.6 ESS, and one of the first things I bought was the AutoStop Eliminator (that's what the designers got wrong, but probably a top down decision).
Other than that, I think my Jeep is a real gem. I read and worry about the reliability, but, it's a freaking hoot to dive, and has enough creature comforts to keep me happy. I also added a Borla S-Type exhaust, and I LOVE the sound when I stomp on it. So, I guess I'd have to say the 3.6 engine mated with the 8 speed transmission is something the engineers got right.
Sponsored

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Cruise control matched with 2.0L engine. It isn't so sloppy that it becomes unreliable for setting a certain speed, but it isn't so strict as to be annoying, either. They got the balance just right with the 2.0L engine.

MoHeTow!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito!, 2022 JLUR4XE Tuscadero ordered
I drove a 21 Sahara 4XE with the safety package brick mounted in front of the rear view mirror, Looks like an after thought to me, rain sensing wipers would be nice in a Luxury priced vehicle(once you've had them it's hard to go back). Other than that It's night and day better than the JK in my book

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
The 2021 jl rubicon juts bought it and the worst handling ever .
The other day I was driving in the rain from cr to New York this car is a hazard plain and simple .
It’s like the car isn’t grounded to floor your floating and heaven forbid you hit a bump doing 60 miles an hour the car skips and you could lose control .

i wonder is this juts my truck or everyone is having this issue .
Please comment since my dealer isn’t even helping me they had it twice and still the truck handles terrible .

this truck is a hazard so t buy a wrangler I was so excited but now the dealer doesn’t even return calls .

68000 dollars for a truck I can’t drive safely .
Thanks for the vent time people but honestly don’t buy a jeep wrangle r 2021 .

I’m actually selling it for 65k with2800 miles .
Looks great but I don’t recommend it and trying to sel mine .

twice they had it and no improvement don’t know what else to do except call Jeep direct again .
Also filing a complaint with New York attorney general .

1F6DF62B-9031-40E5-A096-54DDE3C44EFD.jpeg
Wrong thread Karen.

Sponsored

Malachi

First Name
Malachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Harley FXDB, 2021 JL Willys Manual
On road manners are outstanding. Cornering, speed, quietness - compared to my old XJ this thing is a luxury liner, and I had zero complains on the XJ ride

The clutch may not be perfect, but the fact they offered to engineer a decent one at all deserves a shout out

I didn't buy it for the MPG, but check out the pic
Jeep Wrangler JL What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL? PXL_20211210_210635095

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I like the exterior redesign over the JK. It's subtle and fresh. It's as if they decided to use the JK as a base and tweak it instead of scraping the JK design and starting over (like manufactures often do with other makes/models). It's weird how it looks the same but different and I mean that in a good way.
Skipping the entire thread to respond to this-

YES. Like I’ve said numerous times on these illustrious forums, the JL is like the designers and engineers took the JK, and FINISHED DESIGNING IT.

Does anyone here remember vehicle mods from Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, and San Andreas on PC? Like where users would mod the generic SUV to look like a Wrangler? That’s how the JK strikes me. Like the designers of the exterior only had so many polygons and textures to work with. The game engine would only allow so much. Except they were designing a real vehicle that ended up looking real boring.

Jeep Wrangler JL What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL? 285A0D91-2377-48A2-AC26-D7FAA02935B9
Jeep Wrangler JL What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL? 260AFDAF-7E84-486B-8A44-41C05F6B2C2A
Jeep Wrangler JL What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL? 6ED968B1-6DCB-4B5E-8C13-65093A2170DC
Jeep Wrangler JL What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL? C89EA444-45CB-4673-8ABE-DF5C1898AE5C

Now tell me, friend... are those wranglers shitty looking because they’re modeled after JKs or because the game engine was limited? We may never know. (Actually I know.)

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
The other day I was driving in the rain from cr to New York this car is a hazard plain and simple .
It’s like the car isn’t grounded to floor your floating and heaven forbid you hit a bump doing 60 miles an hour the car skips and you could lose control .

Please comment since my dealer isn’t even helping me they had it twice and still the truck handles terrible .

this truck is a hazard so t buy a wrangler I was so excited but now the dealer doesn’t even return calls .

twice they had it and no improvement don’t know what else to do except call Jeep direct again .

Jeep Wrangler JL What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL? C89EA444-45CB-4673-8ABE-DF5C1898AE5C
Judging buy your writing you may not be old enough to drive yet alone comment on a public forum. WTF!

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
>What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL?

OK, this is a bit dark, but on another forum I saw a photo of a 4xe JL that rolled to the bottom of a long hill at our local off-road park. The Jeep is totalled, but the rollbar protected the integrity of the passenger compartment, and the driver was uninjured. In his words:

"I rolled more than 20 times and 300 feet down a cliff"

Having been there, it's not a literal Wil-E-Coyote style cliff, but is an extremely steep incline: 45 degrees or more. You'd look at it and go "Oh Shit!"

Anyhow, roll bars aren't glamorous. Everyone tries to avoid actually using them. So it's the kinda thing that it's real easy to cheap out on. But the engineers knew that JL owners take their Jeeps onto sketch trails, and being human sometimes make human mistakes.

Roll cage and passenger protection is something they got right. :clap:

Bamabww

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys, Snazzberry.
Occupation
Retired and loving it.
The size and placement of the vertically-oriented panels and controls in the JL are something I notice and admire every time I get in my Jeep. It's handsome, distinctive and something I'd wager is going to be a bit difficult to improve upon.
At 68 years old I ordered my first Wrangler and love it. So everything in the Wrangler is new to me but I think the OP said it best: I love the dash layout and everyone I've shown it to has remarked positive about it.

Again, new to the Wrangler world and they may all have done this but I love the ability to open the tailgate without raising the rear glass.

Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I'm happy with most things on the JL. I come from 10 years of owning solid front axle vehicles with four wheel drive, so nothing in the drive of the JL really feels different to me. I do sometimes wish the JL had auto engagement of 4WD like my trucks did but that's ok. The foot wells are a little tight in the JL, but I got use to them with my size 14 shoes. Overall the only real thing I'd say is at all lacking is general power of the 3.6 (it's 2021, it could probably do better).

I like the ride (it is what it is and what I expected), I like the general build quality, I like the ease of modifications, I like the simplicity of the design, I like classic look that still accounts for modern conveniences. The turning radius is a massive improvement personally against any truck I've had in the past, the road manners are very similar to my past 4WD/SFA vehicles so I don't have the gripes a lot of people have about 'steering' or 'ride'.

I'd give it 4.5 stars, would go again.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL

Mine actually got a lot better with an added adjustable steering stabilizer, but that's just experience.

My likes: SOT, dash layout, awesome sound system, door handles, LED lights, seats, cold-weather package.

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Favorite thing is something that is not engineered; my old school rear view mirror that doesn't auto dim. I can't stand that feature because it doesn't really work well. I love the old school flip the lever and it works; perfect.

I have the manual and it is one of the better shifting cars I've driven in a while. I dumped a 6 speed Tacoma to get my Jeep and that truck's transmission was the worst thing I've ever driven. (Favorite manual is a Nissan Xterra). Now the clutch, not a big fan but that's for the other thread.

Love how everything comes off (doors & top) with a few bolts and they all store in their own slots in the cargo tub. If it wasn't for those slots I would have lost everything on day 1.

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
A few on here have said the Sky One Touch and I completely agree. It’s my favorite feature on my Jeep and one that I originally didn’t want.

Truth be told, I love everything else about my JLUR as well. Every time I get in the stress of the day melts away. It’s instant therapy.
Sponsored