Sponsored

What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
In the spirit of inverting this thread, still in progress, what do you believe just works on the JL-generation Wrangler?

The first thing that comes to mind for me is the dashboard aesthetic. The last one that looked correct, in my estimation, was the YJ-era dashboard. It looked completely appropriate for its time and for the vehicle. Beginning with the TJ and [thankfully] ending with the JK, the dash layouts were just acres of plastic generica. From the wheel, it really gave no indication of the historic provenance of the model.

The size and placement of the vertically-oriented panels and controls in the JL are something I notice and admire every time I get in my Jeep. It's handsome, distinctive and something I'd wager is going to be a bit difficult to improve upon.

Your turn.

Jeep Wrangler JL What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL? Sport dash
Sponsored

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
In the spirit of inverting this thread, still in progress, what do you believe just works on the JL-generation Wrangler?

The first thing that comes to mind for me is the dashboard aesthetic. The last one that looked correct, in my estimation, was the YJ-era dashboard. It looked completely appropriate for its time and for the vehicle. Beginning with the TJ and [thankfully] ending with the JK, the dash layouts were just acres of plastic generica. From the wheel, it really gave no indication of the historic provenance of the model.

The size and placement of the vertically-oriented panels and controls in the JL are something I notice and admire every time I get in my Jeep. It's handsome, distinctive and something I'd wager is going to be a bit difficult to improve upon.

Your turn.

Jeep Wrangler JL What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL? Sport dash
I like the exterior redesign over the JK. It's subtle and fresh. It's as if they decided to use the JK as a base and tweak it instead of scraping the JK design and starting over (like manufactures often do with other makes/models). It's weird how it looks the same but different and I mean that in a good way.

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
1. Finally a V8 option in the Wrangler (price discussion is not for this thread). This is very important to a lot of buyers like me who were considering a V8 2021 Toyota Land Cruiser instead, until Toyota pulled the plug on the V8 and didnā€™t even bother to include Apple car play in the final ā€˜21 V8 Land Cruiser. Imagine! IMO, Toyota took a big huge dump on customers like me who wanted a notoriously reliable Toyota V8 SUV for 2021, but then they just suddenly pulled the plug on it. No more V8 after this year and no Apple car play for the final 2021 model LOL. And this is also worth noting- the final V8 Land Cruiser is almost at the exact same price point as a fully loaded 392 Wrangler. Coincidence?

2. Stellantis staying true to what a Wrangler should look like.

3. Somehow being able to hook a lifetime Honda/Lexus driver like me, who just a couple years ago was a major Japanese car fan boy and would have never wanted to own a Jeep. Again, if Toyota hadnā€™t screwed up with the final V8 Land Cruiser, I would not have even looked at a Jeep. And no, Iā€™m not spending $160k on a German over engineered V8 shoe box on wheels or $120k on a British junk V8 Range Rover. The 392 Wrangler just hits the sweet spot at this very time for alot of people.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I like the exterior redesign over the JK. It's subtle and fresh. It's as if they decided to use the JK as a base and tweak it instead of scraping the JK design and starting over (like manufactures often do with other makes/models). It's weird how it looks the same but different and I mean that in a good way.
I always thought the JK looked like a Chinese copy of a Jeep. Like they made something that technically resembled a Jeep, but without all the nuances and subtlety that turn a flat piece of sheet metal into something with soul. The JL got back to being designed as a Jeep by people who appreciate Jeeps

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I always thought the JK looked like a Chinese copy of a Jeep. Like they made something that technically resembled a Jeep, but without all the nuances and subtlety that turn a flat piece of sheet metal into something with soul. The JL got back to being designed as a Jeep by people who appreciate Jeeps
Mark Allen, head of Jeep design, hinted at the same thing, at least with regards to the grille. He pointed out that it had lost the trapezoid shape that had been a part of Jeep design since the beginning.

I got the impression that Daimler drained the company of resources so the JK was what you got when you didnā€™t really design it at all. Very happy with the new curves.

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Iā€™m happy they kept the folding windshield and made it dramatically easier than the JK, grateful they kept a manual (even if Iā€™m still not sold on the clutch), removable doors, removable top, solid axlesā€¦they keep finding ways to stay true to the heritage, unlike nearly every other SUV on the market.

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
Aux switches and all the goodies you can attach both inside and out--can't say enough about those, literally bolt the light on and plug it into the wiring...insanely easy. Drain plugs and carpet pulls. Locking glove and center console. Beefy steering wheel with the controls in the right place. Engine options for all of us. Seat Heater and Steering Wheel heater are insanely spot-on right now in the Virginia winter. Infotainment and CarPlay (I know...I know...) at your fingertips. Jeep heater and A/C are excellent. Audio is amazing, even with the top off. Molly attachments behind the seats are great. Hard-top (WAY better than the FBronco) and Soft Top (also way better). Just being true to the Jeep heritage and keeping it an adult Lego for all of us...so many options, nobody will ever catch up to mod options for an SUV.

Finally--keeping that feeling of "sure honey, I'll run errands" and smiling/enjoying life as I drive this thing.

Great thread! Positive and what we all get feelings about from time to time.

rubiria

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Exterior and interior refresh over the JK, of course. I agree that the JK interior was all cheap ā€œClassicā€ Chrysler style at best. It looked more like a Grand Cherokee inside.

Plus you cannot go wrong with a lot of Engine Options available on the JL. Although it would be nice to have a Manual Option paired with the 2.0 Turbo.

brand

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep rubicon
The 2021 jl rubicon juts bought it and the worst handling ever .
The other day I was driving in the rain from cr to New York this car is a hazard plain and simple .
Itā€™s like the car isnā€™t grounded to floor your floating and heaven forbid you hit a bump doing 60 miles an hour the car skips and you could lose control .

i wonder is this juts my truck or everyone is having this issue .
Please comment since my dealer isnā€™t even helping me they had it twice and still the truck handles terrible .

this truck is a hazard so t buy a wrangler I was so excited but now the dealer doesnā€™t even return calls .

68000 dollars for a truck I canā€™t drive safely .
Thanks for the vent time people but honestly donā€™t buy a jeep wrangle r 2021 .

Iā€™m actually selling it for 65k with2800 miles .
Looks great but I donā€™t recommend it and trying to sel mine .

twice they had it and no improvement donā€™t know what else to do except call Jeep direct again .
Also filing a complaint with New York attorney general .

1F6DF62B-9031-40E5-A096-54DDE3C44EFD.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Heimkehr

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The other day I was driving in the rain from cr to New York this car is a hazard plain and simple .
Itā€™s like the car isnā€™t grounded to floor your floating and heaven forbid you hit a bump doing 60 miles an hour the car skips and you could lose control .

Please comment
Ok. You're in the wrong thread, mate.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The wonderful 8AT ZF transmission, it combined w/ most any JL platform is a marriage made in heaven. And if you have a 2dr they are just a beautiful vehicle!

And if you have your caster at 6degrees or better, they are a sweet on road vehicle too!!!!!

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014

i wonder is this juts my truck or everyone is having this issue .
Please comment since my dealer isnā€™t even helping me they had it twice and still the truck handles terrible .

this truck is a hazard so t buy a wrangler I was so excited but now the dealer doesnā€™t even return calls .

68000 dollars for a truck I canā€™t drive safely .
Thanks for the vent time people but honestly donā€™t buy a jeep wrangle r 2021 .

Iā€™m actually selling it for 65k with2800 miles .
Looks great but I donā€™t recommend it and trying to sel mine .

twice they had it and no improvement donā€™t know what else to do except call Jeep direct again .
Also filing a complaint with New York attorney general .

Jeep Wrangler JL What do you believe the designers and engineers got right on the JL? 1F6DF62B-9031-40E5-A096-54DDE3C44EFD
I think you put this comment on the wrong thread for the response you're looking for. This is supposed to be a positive thread. Plenty of other threads are on the forum for your gripe. Not saying this to be mean, just trying to avoid this thread going sideways. The OP's intent was to keep this upbeat.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Iā€™m quite sorry to hear about your poor experience, but this definitely isnā€™t the complaints thread.
Interestingly enough, I came here to praise the excellent highway handling of the JL. My last Jeep was a YJ and the JL is a Cadillac in comparison. But it still feels like a Jeep.

I so want to strap this guy in a YJ and make him travel across the country... With video, of course.
Sponsored