Sponsored

What do we think, northern Jeepers, is it Hardtop Time?

kakwvu

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
We drove my jeep back from the lot in Jersey last February when it was like 5° in the mountains with a soft top. Just crank the heat!
Sponsored

OP
OP
S2k Chris

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
We drove my jeep back from the lot in Jersey last February when it was like 5° in the mountains with a soft top. Just crank the heat!
I don’t care about the heat/cold. It’s just not worth dealing with the downsides of the soft top (decreased visability, PITA factor of trunk access, etc) if I’m not going to be putting the top down. Which when it’s cold out, I’m not.

kakwvu

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I don’t care about the heat/cold. It’s just not worth dealing with the downsides of the soft top (decreased visability, PITA factor of trunk access, etc) if I’m not going to be putting the top down. Which when it’s cold out, I’m not.
I do dislike how dark the vinyl is, but not for the price of buying a hard top. Yet.

Sponsored

Flip6577

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 on order
Also from the Chicago burbs. I was going to wait until next weekend, but we're heading out to Dubuque for jeeps on the mountain next Saturday, so I guess the HT is going on this weekend.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Ouch
we don’t need to concern ourselves with that here.

johndan

First Name
Johndan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR (ordered and waiting…)
Same here. I didn't even buy a hard top on my last to JLs and haven't regretted it. It's routinely below 0°F here and as long as I let the vehicle warm up for five minutes, it's just as warm as the hardtop Wranglers I've had.

Only downside is that I can't open the back window. Well, I probably could open it, but it'd be a one-time deal.

I'll be rocking my Soft Top right through Winter. 👍

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
It hit 29C here yesterday in Central Alberta (85F), but today temps have dropped and leaves are falling everywhere..... I think it's time. I am only able to enlist help removing it on weekends, but I will try to hold out until Months end.

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
As bad as it sounds, most of the cars I've owned in my life have been beaters without working defrost so I'll probably be plenty used to not seeing out of the back anyway 😅

Opening the window in the cold would give me pause though, didn't think about that. I don't generally need to much, but doesn't mean I won't need to at all.
I think they advise against doing this below around 50f. These windows are plastic and get brittle as it gets colder. Don't treat it like glass and use a scraper or brush on it with snow/ice, that's a great way to ruin your rear windows. The only thing you can really do is use cabin heat to help clear them. Even hot water on them is a bad idea (rapid temp changes can warp them).

I've already not been able to see out of mine the last few weeks because of... dew(?) on them. It happens every year starting in fall, usually have a defroster but not now. Just set your side mirrors right and you should be ok. Be sure your camera is cleaned off too if you plan on backing up anywhere :) After driving vans with no rear windows/mirrors, they are overrated :P

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
You guys should come down here! Finally getting below 90 F in DFW, so the top is coming OFF this weekend.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Hard top and doors back on up here in Rhody. Temps starting to drop overnight and raining more frequently…

Is it spring again yet? 🙄

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Don't treat it like glass and use a scraper or brush on it with snow/ice, that's a great way to ruin your rear windows.
I kind of just planned on tapping the brush against it to knock the loose stuff off. Definitely won't be scraping on it. Good looking out though!

You guys should come down here! Finally getting below 90 F in DFW, so the top is coming OFF this weekend.
I am basically death incarnate in anything above 85 lol. I'm one of the few who LOVE Michigan winters (minus the salt ;) )

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
I kind of just planned on tapping the brush against it to knock the loose stuff off. Definitely won't be scraping on it. Good looking out though!

I am basically death incarnate in anything above 85 lol. I'm one of the few who LOVE Michigan winters (minus the salt ;) )
Lol, I was reading sites to see how to properly care for them in the winter. Just saying (I've yet to deal with this), they also said don't tap on them, hahah. Others may be able to tell us the real tolerances of them though. I'm honestly just prob gonna leave them alone and let residual heat get to them (and yes I'm never garaged).
Sponsored