Sponsored

What do I need to know before putting a JL Rubicon Suspension on my JL Sport S.

acoz8

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Are there different spring numbers I should look out for? Or will they all give me the 1.5 inch boost.
Sponsored

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@acoz8; I can’t tell you for sure how many different spring part numbers there are, but there are several. I don’t think the differences will amount to a huge height difference...but your best bet for lift would be to find a set of springs and shocks that came off of a JLUR with hardtop and steel bumper package. And you should also be aware that the springs are different lengths on driver and passenger. If my memory serves me correctly, the passenger side is the longer spring.

Other things to know when doing this swap:

1) all the control arms and sway bar links are the same on both vehicles

2) remember to disconnect all the wiring to the axels

3) remember to take the brake line brackets off the control arms before lowering the axel

4) remember to disconnect the breather tubes

5) remember to reconnect all these things

6) you may need to adjust your drag link to line the steering wheel back up after the lift

7) after you put the new springs in, you’ll have push/pull either the axel or Jeep to line the trackbars back up (pushing on the tub of the Jeep or turning the steering wheel will accomplish this and it’s much easier to do with two people)

8) the swap can be done with a couple of floor jacks and a good set of jack stands, but a lift is much easier

9) you don’t have to loosen the control arms in order to do the swap, but if you do, be sure to tighten them to spec with the Jeep on the ground

10) be sure to line the spring isolators up properly...the end of the new springs should go where the end of the old ones did

11) the alignment nubs on the top spring isolators will no longer be correct...you’ll have to trim it off
**EDIT** It appears that the spring isolators may be universal across the different springs so this may not be necessary. Compare your new and old springs (remember they are corner specific) and check to see if both ends of the springs line up in the same spot. If they line up...no trimming necessary.

12) find and watch all the videos you can on installing a spring lift/swapping Rubi springs...usually videos for 2” spring lifts will use similar instructions as this swap.

13) a good ratchet swivel and extensions are a huge help to get to some of the tighter places

14) if I think of any thing else, I’ll edit this to add to it and everyone, if I have made a mistake or you have something to add, I ask that you politely let me know so I can make edits. Happy Jeepin’!!! :jk:

Last edited:

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU

LowCountry

First Name
allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet Sport
Good advice above and I just did my swap out this weekend, I definitely referred to this and other similar threads. I did mine with a floor jack and a couple jack stands and some wheel chocks of course. Took out the jeep jack and used it in a couple spots where I needed some extra tension. I had basic hand tools, no air and a torque wrench to make sure everything went back to spec. I also did not loosen the control arms, just sway bar links, shocks and brake line brackets. First time doing a spring/shock swap and it took about 4 hrs total taking my time. The front springs were pretty close to 2" longer than my stock ones and the rear were about 1.5" maybe a little more-hard to get an accurate measurement. The Rubi springs were from a 4dr hardtop. Front springs were 60/61 and rear were 90/91. Ive seen someone mention somewhere about 91/92 rear springs so Im guessing maybe my donor didnt have the tow package? Not sure but i did leave my 1/2" spacers on the rear springs for now and im just a bit higher in the rear but it looks pretty good and I definitely got rid of that 2 dr sag. The ride is so nice and I really didnt have a problem with the stock sport setup before but this is most definitely an upgrade. My steering wheel is still centered and it tracks dead on so I dont think ill need an alignment either. Good Luck!:beer:

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Here are reported part numbers from above-mentioned thread. Takeaway for me is that you appear to always put the higher part numbers on the passenger side.

Sport spring part numbers:
Rear Passenger 68253589AA
Rear Driver 68253588AA
Front Driver 68253657AB
Front Passenger 68253658AB

Rubicon spring part numbers:
Rear Passenger 68253591AA
Rear Driver 68253590AA
Front Driver 68253659AB
Front Passenger 68253660AB

Sponsored

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Awesome thread!

I'm looking to help with added weight from aftermarket steel, along with camera and camping gear. Oh, and the occasional model. I'm looking into adding just the right shocks & springs combo. I use my jeep to get to location photo shoots and not rock crawling. I don't need anything extreme like the really awesome Metal Cloak system. I'll be traveling over longer distances and then down gravel roads, old logging trails. Nothing crazy.

I also tow an old M416 trailer I used on my old Jeep.

Right now the simplest way seems to be snagging Rubi take off shocks & springs. I'm just not certain if there's not a better alternative.

Does anyone know what springs come with the 2019 JLU Sport with the Tow Package? Are they already beefier than than the standard springs or the same?

Any information is appreciated.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome thread!

I'm looking to help with added weight from aftermarket steel, along with camera and camping gear. Oh, and the occasional model. I'm looking into adding just the right shocks & springs combo. I use my jeep to get to location photo shoots and not rock crawling. I don't need anything extreme like the really awesome Metal Cloak system. I'll be traveling over longer distances and then down gravel roads, old logging trails. Nothing crazy.

I also tow an old M416 trailer I used on my old Jeep.

Right now the simplest way seems to be snagging Rubi take off shocks & springs. I'm just not certain if there's not a better alternative.

Does anyone know what springs come with the 2019 JLU Sport with the Tow Package? Are they already beefier than than the standard springs or the same?

Any information is appreciated.
I just did this swap (rubicon springs into a sport with tow package and soft top).
If you need the sport rear spring part numbers I can get them tonight when I get home.

FWIW I netted a hair under 1.5” of lift all around using rubicon springs and shocks from a hardtop, steel bumper rubicon. The ride and steering are unchanged. Great and inexpensive mod.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
also strongly suggest terraflex 0.5" spacer lift along with the suspension swap accompanied by Mopar's longer LCA (68322798AA) from the 2" lift kit for a effective but very inexpensive lift.
This is exactly what I did. I think I’ve spent < $350 total ($200 for Rubi springs/shocks, $50 for 0.5” spacers and <$90 for shipped Mopar extended LCAs). I did the wrenching on my own.

I’ve got 2” total lift.

Sponsored

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
also strongly suggest terraflex 0.5" spacer lift along with the suspension swap accompanied by Mopar's longer LCA (68322798AA) from the 2" lift kit for a effective but very inexpensive lift.
Awesome. I stopped by a shop that specializes in all kinds of awesome lifts. Stuff way beyond my needs but fun to check out regardless. The parking lot had some fun toys waiting to go. The kid running the office told me they generally scrap the take off springs and they generally cut off the top of the shocks as it's faster. He said they'll be doing another Rubicon sooner or later and he'd be sure to set everything aside for me. Awesome price too.

I'll see about getting these other parts as well.
Thanks.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Awesome. I stopped by a shop that specializes in all kinds of awesome lifts. Stuff way beyond my needs but fun to check out regardless. The parking lot had some fun toys waiting to go. The kid running the office told me they generally scrap the take off springs and they generally cut off the top of the shocks as it's faster. He said they'll be doing another Rubicon sooner or later and he'd be sure to set everything aside for me. Awesome price too.

I'll see about getting these other parts as well.
Thanks.
you can also get the 1.5" teraflex spacers instead if you think the 0.5" doesn't cut it for ya, though you might also have to get bump stop extensions+shock extensions if you want to avoid bottoming out the springs or over stretching your shocks. (though shocks might not need it at 1.5")

Better to do it once and not regret it later.

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer

First question, with the .5" spacers, I'll just want the front done, right? That gets rid of the front rake?

Secondly, I'll only need to use the longer LCA if I go bigger than 33" tires, or do I need it regardless?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
First question, with the .5" spacers, I'll just want the front done, right? That gets rid of the front rake?

Secondly, I'll only need to use the longer LCA if I go bigger than 33" tires, or do I need it regardless?
1) I would honestly get both front and rear considering I got more lift up front than rear with the rubicon suspension. (1.5” front and 1” rear). I suspect rubicon suspensions already compensate for the heavier loads up front.
2) I would get the LCA regardless, it gave me a massive 6.7 degree caster and fixed my Jeep’s death wobble and drives straight as an arrow.

Rubicon suspension + 0.5” front and rear spacer:

D597C183-5334-4970-8B57-41AD5CE9D415.jpeg

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
WOOT! I just got everything, the shocks, springs, spacer kit, and both of the longer arms for just over $400! That includes the shipping cost!

Now to get this done soon.
Sponsored