Sponsored

What do I need to know before putting a JL Rubicon Suspension on my JL Sport S.

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1998 TJ, 1975 Corvette
I put a rubicon suspension in my jlu and i think im going to add the longer lca and .5 spacer too. I love the suspension on the jeep but it could definetly use some help steering.
Sponsored

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I have take off Rubicon 33" KO2s on my SportS. I am getting ready to install take off Rubicon springs and shocks and I am wondering about the .5" spacer and longer lca.

Does it make sense to do this if I am sticking with the 33"? Was thinking the .5" and longer lca was for folks who are going with larger tires.

EDIT: Does the .5 with longer lca increase the likelihood of requiring steering corrections?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have take off Rubicon 33" KO2s on my SportS. I am getting ready to install take off Rubicon springs and shocks and I am wondering about the .5" spacer and longer lca.

Does it make sense to do this if I am sticking with the 33"? Was thinking the .5" and longer lca was for folks who are going with larger tires.

EDIT: Does the .5 with longer lca increase the likelihood of requiring steering corrections?
The longer LCA is a must in my opinion to get better caster that helps with the steering and death wobble issues these Jeeps are experiencing. 0.5 spacers won’t impact your Jeep visually much at all so you wouldn’t have to worry about it.

SCB88

First Name
Shane Bright
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport JLU, 18 Ford Raptor, 15 BMW M4, 04 Silverado, 18 Mustang GT, 18 Aramada
What is everyone doing with the trackbars when putting on the Rubi Take Offs Springs and Shocks? Do you need to change them to adjustable? or Relocate? Do Nothing? The real question is after the Rubi Parts are added, are the axles still square?

How is your steering after the swap? Ride?

I had a poor experience with my 14 JKU after a mild lift from TerraFlex. Wished I would have left it stock with all the drivability issues it had. Kept throwing $$ at the problem and it kept getting worse. Finally traded it off. So now with the new JLU, it drives great, and I want it to AFTER the swap. I know it will be taller, and drive like it. I have this JLU as a TOAD for an RV, max we plan on doing will be light off roading in the mountains and around Moab. We built the last one for the worst Moab had to tackle. It is just so hard keeping these darn things stock!!!

Thanks for reading.

18 JLU Sport with Rubi 33' KO2s,

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
The longer LCA is a must in my opinion to get better caster that helps with the steering and death wobble issues these Jeeps are experiencing. 0.5 spacers won’t impact your Jeep visually much at all so you wouldn’t have to worry about it.
Thanks! I have a little over 20K on my Sport S (18K of which are with the 33" KO2s) and have not experienced any death wobble. Is it post suspension upgrade that folks are experiencing it? Did you have to make any steering adjustments?

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
What is everyone doing with the trackbars when putting on the Rubi Take Offs Springs and Shocks? Do you need to change them to adjustable? or Relocate? Do Nothing? The real question is after the Rubi Parts are added, are the axles still square?

How is your steering after the swap? Ride?

I had a poor experience with my 14 JKU after a mild lift from TerraFlex. Wished I would have left it stock with all the drivability issues it had. Kept throwing $$ at the problem and it kept getting worse. Finally traded it off. So now with the new JLU, it drives great, and I want it to AFTER the swap. I know it will be taller, and drive like it. I have this JLU as a TOAD for an RV, max we plan on doing will be light off roading in the mountains and around Moab. We built the last one for the worst Moab had to tackle. It is just so hard keeping these darn things stock!!!

Thanks for reading.

18 JLU Sport with Rubi 33' KO2s,
Considering rubis use the same steering components (including trackbar) as any other trim, you just re-use everything. This is a low cost build, you are welcome to change anything and everything if you wish.

My JL drives like a dream.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thanks! I have a little over 20K on my Sport S (18K of which are with the 33" KO2s) and have not experienced any death wobble. Is it post suspension upgrade that folks are experiencing it? Did you have to make any steering adjustments?
You might start experiencing some death wobble after rubi suspension swap. I didn't have any death wobbles before the swap, I did after when I didn't add the longer LCAs, and it went away again after I did.

Death wobble seems to be caused by stiff suspension, incorrect geometry and poorly designed steering components.

Johnvbell

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
1) I would honestly get both front and rear considering I got more lift up front than rear with the rubicon suspension. (1.5” front and 1” rear). I suspect rubicon suspensions already compensate for the heavier loads up front.
2) I would get the LCA regardless, it gave me a massive 6.7 degree caster and fixed my Jeep’s death wobble and drives straight as an arrow.

Rubicon suspension + 0.5” front and rear spacer:

D597C183-5334-4970-8B57-41AD5CE9D415.jpeg
Your JLUS looks great with the mod lift. Different subject, just curious, what roof racks are you using? We recently picked up our first Jeep, a new JLUS, and I need something to carry a couple kayaks.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Your JLUS looks great with the mod lift. Different subject, just curious, what roof racks are you using? We recently picked up our first Jeep, a new JLUS, and I need something to carry a couple kayaks.
using Rhino Rack Vortex 2 for the JL

Sponsored

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Anyone take the suspension off a 4d rubicon with steel bumpers and tow package and put it on a 2d sport?

Deleted member 29417

Hello does anyone know what the difference is between 3659AC and 3659AB? I'm about to buy some Rubi take offs but the AC is throwing me off.

thanks.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hello does anyone know what the difference is between 3659AC and 3659AB? I'm about to buy some Rubi take offs but the AC is throwing me off.

thanks.
The springs I got from a rubicon also ended in AC (3661AC for example). I believe the AC just supplants the AB as a later version. I still got 1&3/8” lift increase.