Sponsored

What do I need to disconnect in order to reset the CANBUS?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The GPS on my UConnect has stopped working completely, resulting in it picking up no satellites and my navigation telling me I'm tens of miles away at zero altitude. The radio itself is most likely the problem since the antenna is still able to acquire Travel Link data and Sirius XM stations. However, just to make absolutely sure I've covered every avenue before having to potentially replace it, I want to force a total reset on the CANBUS and see if that doesn't possibly resolve the issue. It's probably futile, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Another thing I noticed prior to this problem was my UConnect being unable to properly update its file cache contents from my USB drive for music. For example, if I use voice command to tell my radio to play a certain song, it can't seem to do it with about a quarter of the music on the drive. The resulting error causes it to just play the first file on the device. I don't know how much of this is controlled via the radio itself versus the CANBUS, but resetting the UConnect and switching USB devices makes no difference.

Whether or not these two are related, I'm just not sure how much of this functionality is controlled by the radio versus the Jeep's computer.

I'm treating this like a typical common computer problem: disconnect the power, reset, and reboot. That being said, can I get away with that by unplugging just the battery or do I need to disconnect the auxiliary battery as well?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

That being said, can I get away with that by unplugging just the battery or do I need to disconnect the auxiliary battery as well?
You'll need to disconnect both.

OP
OP
Spank

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I may be wrong, but I thought GPS and SiriusXM use different antennas.
They do not. It is one dual mode antenna used both both. WiFi with the 8.4" radio adds an extra antenna.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The GPS on my UConnect has stopped working completely, resulting in it picking up no satellites and my navigation telling me I'm tens of miles away at zero altitude. The radio itself is most likely the problem since the antenna is still able to acquire Travel Link data and Sirius XM stations. However, just to make absolutely sure I've covered every avenue before having to potentially replace it, I want to force a total reset on the CANBUS and see if that doesn't possibly resolve the issue. It's probably futile, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Another thing I noticed prior to this problem was my UConnect being unable to properly update its file cache contents from my USB drive for music. For example, if I use voice command to tell my radio to play a certain song, it can't seem to do it with about a quarter of the music on the drive. The resulting error causes it to just play the first file on the device. I don't know how much of this is controlled via the radio itself versus the CANBUS, but resetting the UConnect and switching USB devices makes no difference.

Whether or not these two are related, I'm just not sure how much of this functionality is controlled by the radio versus the Jeep's computer.

I'm treating this like a typical common computer problem: disconnect the power, reset, and reboot. That being said, can I get away with that by unplugging just the battery or do I need to disconnect the auxiliary battery as well?
Hi Spank,
Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having. If you do end up visiting a dealer to have these concerns addressed, we're available here via private message if you need additional assistance.

Lydia
JeepCares

stevenc

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara

I'm experiencing the same issue within the last week or so. The compass also showing wrong direction. Are you able to resolve it? I hate to bring it in to dealer considering what's going on now.

Steven
Toronto

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I hate to bring it in to dealer considering what's going on now.
Dealership service departments (sales showrooms are closed) are open and taking necessary precautions. They are considered essential businesses.

OP
OP
Spank

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm experiencing the same issue within the last week or so. The compass also showing wrong direction. Are you able to resolve it? I hate to bring it in to dealer considering what's going on now.

Steven
Toronto
Unfortunately, no. The radio will probably have to be replaced.

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

stevenc

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have tried the voice command + phone buttons to no success.
Haven't tried the cold + hot buttons yet.
Which method works for you?
Not sure - I think the voice plus the driving around in circles part that you'll find somewhere in there. It resets the compass. I posted on about page 4 of that thread but didn't detail exactly which reset sequence I used. It took a while to fix itself after i did that.

Bay Sailor

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon

I'm having the exact same issue as well. Are you still experiencing the problem or did it correct itself? I'm pretty sure it is a computer issue as well.

OP
OP
Spank

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm having the exact same issue as well. Are you still experiencing the problem or did it correct itself? I'm pretty sure it is a computer issue as well.
I'm afraid not. I've actually been in contact with some of the tech support folks over at Infotainment.com as I've used them for replacement equipment on other vehicles in the past and they're pretty much thinking the same thing I am. The aircard inside the unit that handles GPS input is toast. The entire unit has to be replaced.

Fortunately, replacing these things is incredibly easy. Unfortunately, they're incredibly expensive. I'll have to stick to Android Auto for now until I decide what to do. It figures this happens just miles after my bumper-to-bumper warranty expires.
Sponsored