Sponsored

What do I do with old rims/tires when I get them replaced?

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, local pickup only. For reference, I bought the exact same set as replacements for my wife's JLU. Delivery miles only. I paid $550 for all 5.
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i didn't see it mentioned here so forgive me if it's already been covered, but you would be wise to have the TPMS senders from your stock wheels moved to your new wheels.
not all TPMS Sender Units are the same, and if the ones you have in your stock wheels work with your J**p, you'd be wise to keep them and keep using them with your new wheelset.

if for some reason you can't/don't want to put all the stock wheels in your J**p, leave a couple and come back for them later. shouldn't be a big deal to grab them in 2 trips.

and then, yes; sell them on Craigslist, SpaceBook, or here on this forum. it's worked for me, and lots of others.

I just ordered new rims and tires to replace my stock ones. A local shop is doing the work. My question is - surely my stock rims and tires are worth something on a used market (tires only have 13k miles on them, rims are upgraded machine granite for sport s) - what does the shop do with my old parts when they are done? Do I have to like arrange a way to pick it up? (5 tires and rims aren’t going to fit in my Jeep). Does the shop buy them? How does it work?

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Senders changed for the MY 2021. 2018-20 are the same, and 2021-up are the same. Neither 'version' will speak to the other. I have '21 wheels on my wife's '20 and had to disable the tire sensors via JScan.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
i didn't see it mentioned here so forgive me if it's already been covered, but you would be wise to have the TPMS senders from your stock wheels moved to your new wheels.
not all TPMS Sender Units are the same, and if the ones you have in your stock wheels work with your J**p, you'd be wise to keep them and keep using them with your new wheelset.

if for some reason you can't/don't want to put all the stock wheels in your J**p, leave a couple and come back for them later. shouldn't be a big deal to grab them in 2 trips.

and then, yes; sell them on Craigslist, SpaceBook, or here on this forum. it's worked for me, and lots of others.
Good post there, I forgot about those sensors.
My first tire/wheel deal I left my TPMS in my old wheels/tires, thought no biggie just going to get cheap ebay TPMS sensors w/ the new wheels, darn cheapy sensors never worked in my Jeep :(

I'm glad I kept the OEM sensors (used stock tires on my 4Runner and gave the silver sport wheels to the shop) and have them now in my wheels w/ my new tires and am glad to have the TPMS data available again.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
great in theory, but the cut-over isn't always that clean.

and the point remains; if you already have sensors that work, why buy new ones and *hope* they work?

Senders changed for the MY 2021. 2018-20 are the same, and 2021-up are the same. Neither 'version' will speak to the other. I have '21 wheels on my wife's '20 and had to disable the tire sensors via JScan.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Just to add weight to points that have already been covered:

Sport wheels are not easy to sell. The tires sell fine though. So perhaps list them together and see if you get any interest, and if not, then split them up. I ended up having to split them up after four months with not a single inquiry. The tires sold in about two weeks for $350 but it took almost a year to get $250 for the wheels. Rubicon wheels/tires sell for $1000 all day long. But no one is looking for sport wheels.

I also recommend moving your existing TPMS sensors over...trying to find the right ones for your particular JL is a complete crap shoot. I spent $300 on sensors and re-mounting until I gave up and just had them move over the stockers.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
You can purchase the appropriate compatible sensor on Amazon etc. I installed this set of 5 for $40(https://a.co/d/f4H0FXE) myself on '22 Rubicon takeoffs recently purchased and my 2018 had no problems syncing with them within a few minutes of driving.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just to add weight to points that have already been covered:

Sport wheels are not easy to sell. The tires sell fine though. So perhaps list them together and see if you get any interest, and if not, then split them up. I ended up having to split them up after four months with not a single inquiry. The tires sold in about two weeks for $350 but it took almost a year to get $250 for the wheels. Rubicon wheels/tires sell for $1000 all day long. But no one is looking for sport wheels.

I also recommend moving your existing TPMS sensors over...trying to find the right ones for your particular JL is a complete crap shoot. I spent $300 on sensors and re-mounting until I gave up and just had them move over the stockers.
She has the granite upgrade wheels, much better than the silver sporties, should be able to sell them much easier. FWIW I gave my silver sporties to the shop as I doubt they'd be worth much at all.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
She has the granite upgrade wheels, much better than the silver sporties, should be able to sell them much easier.
Mine were the 80th anniversary wheels, I was saying the exact same thing until a few months had passed with no interest.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You can purchase the appropriate compatible sensor on Amazon etc. I installed this set of 5 for $40(https://a.co/d/f4H0FXE) myself on '22 Rubicon takeoffs recently purchased and my 2018 had no problems syncing with them within a few minutes of driving.
True, you can. But one of my bi-weekly automotive tasks is checking out all our DD vehicles, as far as oil levels, brake fluid, tire pressure, etc. As often as I check stuff I didn't feel it was necessary.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
People with older JKs buy newer JL wheels all the time, even Sport wheels. They look better then the beat up old wheels they have. If you list the Sport wheels on this JL site, then yeah, no one will want them.

Put them on Craigslist or FB marketplace. Only sell them for cash, in person. Don't deliver them, take PayPal, Venmo, cashiers checks, traveler checks, Bitcoin etc. If you don't want someone coming to your house, meet them at the nearest police station parking lot.

I've had good luck buying and selling online. Yes, the scammers will try to get to you. It's easy to spot them if you use common sense. Having an "agent" pick something up after a check is mailed to you is a scam. Only answer those inquiries that are legit and obviously local. Ignore the rest. I always include my name and phone number when I contact someone with an add posted. When I list, I always include my local phone number. Serious people will actually call or text.
Sponsored