What did you do WITH your Jeep today.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Took the Rubicon on it’s maiden rock crawling voyage yesterday. Did Dishpan Creek (3N34) in the San Bernardino mountains. Unfortunately I’m still waiting on better pics and video from the other guys. I must say it did remarkably well for being bone stock.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. 18F46356-9AAC-4F74-9896-7D0D51601B98
Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I did mine also months ago on the ground, the rear where easy because of the brake. The front was a bitch because my front axle did move about a 1/2”.

Looks good.
What do you mean it moved ? You mean when you pulled bolt out to put skid on ? My instructions say do one side at a time to prevent axle housing from rotating. Did you loosen both front at same time before skids ?

I put second rear on easy after first one. I tried today to put front skids on but impact wrench and socket wrench with cheater pipe couldn't break bolts loose.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I have 300lb Impact wrench and cheater pipe for socket wrench and neither will back front LCA bolt loose. The socket and cheater pipe removed the rear LCA very easy. WTF is the deal ? The rear loosened right off with cheater pipe on wrench.
The first time I removed the front LCA bolts, I had no issues. The second time, my big ass impact wouldn't touch them. I know I didn't over-torque them. I don't know, maybe the difference was 2,000 miles vs. 11,000 miles. I ended up having to drive the Jeep up on to ramps so I had enough room to swing a cheater pipe on a breaker bar. The side where I stood on the thing went well. The side where I had to lift up was a fothermucker.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
What do you mean it moved ? You mean when you pulled bolt out to put skid on ? My instructions say do one side at a time to prevent axle housing from rotating. Did you loosen both front at same time before skids ?

I put second rear on easy after first one. I tried today to put front skids on but impact wrench and socket wrench with cheater pipe couldn't break bolts loose.
I did one at a time, when I did the right front side of the jeep it moved about 1/2” forward when I released the bolt. It was a real pain in the butt to align back up with the thing on the ground.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I'm too cheap to go anywhere near that $hithole :bandit:
Try Biggby coffee. I used to drink Starbucks until I discovered Biggby. They have real French roast and their decafe is the Swedish water method. No chemicals. It’s very good don’t even know your drinking decafe. They do have decafe French roast shortages though. Starbucks burns their French roast beans. Not good.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Took the Rubicon on it’s maiden rock crawling voyage yesterday. Did Dishpan Creek (3N34) in the San Bernardino mountains. Unfortunately I’m still waiting on better pics and video from the other guys. I must say it did remarkably well for being bone stock.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. IMG_1043
Tough trail for maiden voyage, good job lol

Sponsored

JMGT25

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I finally got to complete the trip I tried to take last week. It's a shame my son didn't get to experience the rest of this little 27-mile loop. I guess it's an "easy" trail by Jeep standards, but lots of the worst places had bypasses, and I didn't take any of them.

This huge mud puddle had a coating of scum, and clearly hadn't been disturbed in a long time. I made it through last time, so I headed right on in. About halfway through, there was an ugly crunch thud thump, and I think I smashed something with my skid plate while violently bottoming out my front suspension. Hmmmmm. Well, I made it through.

I came to a bypass where it wasn't obvious what the bypass was going around. Huh? Then I remembered. Oh yeah. This deeply washed out place might be too much for a lot of pickup trucks and such. I stopped in the worst of it, took some pictures, and tried shaking the Jeep to see how much it wanted to tip over. It definitely rocked side to side, but I think that was pretty much all tire flex. It didn't feel particularly tippy, which really surprised me, to be honest. That thing ain't exactly in an optimal orientation for maximal stability.

I love that flexy bastard. I could definitely go with bigger tires, and still have plenty of clearance.

Finally, I pulled off to reconnect my sway bar and air the tires back up. Between my deflators and my compressor, I've got this pressure management thing licked now.

And oh yeah, the wild blueberries were finally starting to ripen, and I got to eat a few. I guess these were wild huckleberries? You hear about huckleberries around here, but I never definitively saw one until I encountered these. I'm still not sure if they're huckleberries as such. Anyway, it was a treat getting to eat some kind of wild blueberry type fruit. I have like 10 blueberry bushes in my yard, and I haven't gotten to eat a single berry in many, many years. I just have all the birds living here. I have an utterly stupid number of birds living on a little 1/2 acre property. My wineberries all disappear before I get to eat them too. Sigh.

As I drove home, I took a moment to ponder how unlikely it is that anyone would make a vehicle that could do all this stuff, and still function perfectly well as a daily driver on my 70-mile highway commute. Jeep Wranglers are extremely awesome!
Stock WIllys?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Nostalgie!

I remember when Voyage Voyage was new. I was stationed in the U.K. at the time. That song was big everywhere.

I like Kate's cover. She is easier on the eyes. :involve:

Au dessus des vieux volcans
Glissent des ailes sous le tapis du vent...

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Went for some wings. The soft-top roof quality was horrific on this Bronco. The rear windows were bad too. Owner said this his 3rd roof from Ford. Also had had steering rack replaced and waiting on new front shocks as his are leaking fluid around shaft after one weekend at RCORP.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. IMG_0284
Sponsored