Sponsored

What did you do WITH your Jeep today.

306overland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 YJ, 2020 JLU Sahara Altitude(sold), 2023 JLUR
I stopped at the localish Honda dealer from whom we've purchased several vehicles. This lot, and an adjacent one serving as overflow, should be filled to the brim with new Civics and CR-Vs. But for the lone HR-V in the picture, though, both lots are vacant. Even the used inventory is light.

20210926_185827.jpg
Same situation up here. Lot inventory is pretty bare!
Sponsored

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
Top fuel dragsters now race with windscreens?
some do some dont. I dont remember the incident now, but something happened a few years ago, and Don Schumacher decided to develop and use the canopy. Forces driver/s use them and one other team. Basically in case of fire or catastrophic accident the canopy will help keep the driver safer. Personally i think they look really cool too.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I wheeled the trail featuring the mud hole where I got stuck the other week. The area got a considerable amount of rain recently, and I expect this hole was probably deeper than last time. As I approached, the expanse of undisturbed water suggested today would be a good day to take the bypass, but I whipped out my phone, started recording a video, and I went for it. I got up to 5500 RPM there toward the end. Those paddles were really working hard to drag me out of that muck.

Then I rode up to what has effectively become my usual spot. Part of me thinks I should look for some other trail, and part of me keeps having fun on this one. It's close to home, and I can go every weekend if I want.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. 1632784843249

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
I prepped it for 8 days of wheeling in the UP, 4 days on Drummond Island, and then 4 days of wandering the shore of Lake Superior. The colors should be at their peak. Bonus, my wife retired yesterday. There will be 10 of us with 3 JLURs, a trail hawk Cherokee and a 4runner. 6 of them will only do Drummond Island and head home on Sunday. While the 4 of us continue on.

Just have to add water to the camper in the morning and we are gone.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. 1632784843249
Hell i would have joined you.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Went to the beach nekkid...
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. 243516956_1244180076088028_2544741053754537531_n

Side note: 30 minutes after we got to the beach, the guys a couple spots down from us pulled a 4' shark out of the water (they were fishing). This did not stop us from swimming. lol

Sponsored

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
After the wheeling adventure I posted a few hours ago, I went to buy groceries. Not a very exciting adventure, but I decided to post, because of how much it amuses me that I'm hauling groceries with the same vehicle I had in a 30" deep mud hole maybe six hours ago. It also amuses me the way I have my groceries tucked around my ARB recovery bag, my toolboxes, my tool kit, my jack base, etc. I have a pretty efficient setup where I spend a minimum of time converting the Jeep from one use to another. Truly, this is one vehicle to do damn near everything, and look good doing it too. 😎

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. 1632792134499

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. 1632792166176

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
Last Wednesday, I rescued a kitten from the highway, using my motorcycle tank bag for off-label cargo. :)

This morning, I drove him to the inaugural vet appt. in the Jeep. He was as quiet as a church mouse. As it's still quite warm outside, I had the A/C on Recirc to keep him comfortable.

2.5 lbs.

Back home after a good checkup.

that is awesome!!!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I took my JLU in for its inaugural state Safety and Emission inspections.

I've a free lifetime Safety inspection benefit at my selling dealer. Figuring the vehicle wouldn't require anything, I guessed my bill would be $39.95 + tax, which is equal to the Emissions test fee at the Honda dealer where we take my wife's CR-V.

Nope. The Jeep dealer dinged me for $59.11. It seems they (a) inflate the Emissions fee to make up for the free Safety inspection, and (b) still charge me $8 for the Safety inspection window sticker. The former is speculation on my part, and the latter is possibly an inflexible State fee. Whatever.

The Service Advisor was quick to mention that "We hand torque all lug nuts" when I wrote this instruction on the service ticket. I politely (and truthfully) replied that I had to pay to replace two studs when another dealer disclaimed responsibility for the damage after using an air gun to zip the lug nuts back on. With that in mind, and since it was my first visit to my dealer's Service Dept., I wasn't taking any chances.

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. Inaugural inspections Sept 2021

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
Nope. The Jeep dealer dinged me for $59.11. It seems they (a) inflate the Emissions fee to make up for the free Safety inspection, and (b) still charge me $8 for the Safety inspection window sticker. The former is speculation on my part, and the latter is possibly an inflexible State fee. Whatever.
Anything is possible in Pennsylvania, but it seems kind of fishy to me. The dealership where I bought my Jeep offers free state inspections that are actually free. That's in Virginia though. Who knows.

The Service Advisor was quick to mention that "We hand torque all lug nuts" ...
I know lots of shops that hand torque lug nuts after blasting the hell out of them with an impact. As long as it clicks, they're happy. The big concern shops have is letting a customer get out the door with loose lug nuts, resulting in a wheel off. Everybody freaks when there is a wheel off.

I think shops should also try to avoid over-torquing things, but when I worked in a shop, I lost that battle. I couldn't get anybody else to care, and I was just wasting my breath.

I'm pretty good with an impact, for the record. I can get all the lugs on my Jeep within 1/4 turn of final torque pretty consistently. That's how I like to do it. Get it almost to torque, but not quite, and just tweak each one to a precision click. Sadly, I can't get anybody else I know to take such an interest in this kind of mechanical artistry, and all my mechanic friends think I'm a dork.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
all my mechanic friends think I'm a dork.
Especially the old guy at the shop where I work now. It takes him over an hour to put a wheel on a big truck. Thread a nut. Bang on it full blast with a gigantic impact for not less than three minutes. Go around twice more at the end, banging for three minutes on each nut.

It's painful to watch, but you can't tell that guy anything. He's been doing it that way for 60 years, and hasn't had a wheel fall off yet.

Sigh.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm pretty good with an impact, for the record. I can get all the lugs on my Jeep within 1/4 turn of final torque pretty consistently. That's how I like to do it. Get it almost to torque, but not quite, and just tweak each one to a precision click. Sadly, I can't get anybody else I know to take such an interest in this kind of mechanical artistry, and all my mechanic friends think I'm a dork.
I'd still like to see impact wrenches sold with left-hand (i.e., loosening) rotation only; this is doubly true when powered by air. They have no business being used to spin anything on, if only because of the very real and recurring risk of damaging the studs...as I mention. Faster isn't always better.

I know that time is money, but our visit to a dealer's Service Dept. is not a NASCAR pit stop.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question. Sure someone knows this. Are the 2021 Rubicon Factory LED fog lights from plastic bumper have 4 tabs ? Looking at this DV8 bumper that takes 4 tab lights.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question. Sure someone knows this. Are the 2021 Rubicon Factory LED fog lights from plastic bumper have 4 tabs ? Looking at this DV8 bumper that takes 4 tab lights.
Yes. 4 tab mounting

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. 530C24B4-DE1A-45D9-84D9-545B6292F448

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
truck driver
I'd still like to see impact wrenches sold with left-hand (i.e., loosening) rotation only; this is doubly true when powered by air. They have no business being used to spin anything on, if only because of the very real and recurring risk of damaging the studs...
I'm pretty good at using an impact to spin things on. If the threads are in good condition, I will zip the nuts down with power to speed things up. If they aren't, it's hand tightening until they're snug. I always thread them on several good turns by hand either way. Then at the end, I just kiss them down with power. Zzzzzr tap tap.

I've done it both ways, and I do use the impact to save time over doing everything totally with hand power. As long as I end up under torque and put that final torque on with hand power, I'm satisfied that I have done no harm.

I get it that you don't trust people to do this correctly though. Most people don't. The only reason I developed this skill was because I did a stint in a tire shop where they made us use "torque sticks." I had to use the torque stick for the camera, and then I put the real torque on by hand with a torque wrench. I learned how to not over-torque things with the impact. The torque sticks over-torque the shit out of everything every single time.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I wholeheartedly agree with both of you. I live in Vegas where we get 2 races a season. One of them being a 4 wide drag race. 40k horsepower going down the track at once,
A-mazing!
That would be so cool. About what time of the year do they do the 4 wide in Vegas?
Sponsored