First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
So we decided to knock out one more badge during our Moab trip. Stopped in and did Top of the World. The views at the top were amazing but I definitely bit off more than I could chew. It’s a 6-8 rating and it’s no joke. Being a more or less stock JLUR with a 2.5 lift, I think we were over our heads. We did get through it with only minor scraps but it was a constant spotting and slow crawling. Ended up taking us around 8 hrs. Most say 4. Most of the jeeps that passed us were 37s or greater and made it look like a Sunday evening drive.

Long story short, worth it and the views were absolutely amazing!!

99069EC9-D7E9-4732-B836-FB3B658DB214.jpeg

DC1AC538-892D-4318-B125-A1BA2BB81580.jpeg

046ABF3E-A0CC-4D60-9C6A-0C6D7F8AD776.jpeg

A96D8B4B-FFCF-4171-9BE0-1EC022A09BC4.jpeg

337C5D9D-5F21-439E-9BA9-FB1E89D84E7F.jpeg

A24653EE-320A-4969-A4A4-CEF04B1F9599.jpeg
I have questions…
That is harder than anything I’ve done in my stock Gldiator.
What did you scrape?
Do you think you could’ve gone faster with more experience and same Jeep?
Do you think you could’ve gone faster with same tires but certain skid plates?

no offense but I can’t believe a 2+” lift and stock 33s is that different than a Jeep with 37s, though to be fair they’re probably lifted higher.
I plan on mild lift/tires but lot of skids. Think I can do just about anything based on what I’ve watched on YouTube!
Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I have questions…
That is harder than anything I’ve done in my stock Gldiator.
What did you scrape?

no offense but I can’t believe a 2+” lift and stock 33s is that different than a Jeep with 37s, though to be fair they’re probably lifted higher.
I plan on mild lift/tires but lot of skids. Think I can do just about anything based on what I’ve watched on YouTube!

What did you scrape? Nothing major, gas tank skid a bunch, one rim, tow hook in the rear, lower control bracket a tad, stupid shock extenders from my lift. That’s about it. Nothing big or major. I’ll be touching them up this week and will be good as new.

Do you think you could’ve gone faster with more experience and same Jeep? Ive been off roading jeeps for the last 6 years or so. I consider myself still pretty new at this, it’s my 4th jeep but sure, more experience could have helped. We took our time and got through everything with only those minor scrapes. I aired down for traction and comfort so my 33s turn into what….32s maybe 31s. With 35s or 37s, you can air down, gain traction and comfort and still have greater clearance so I feel it would be a great help in climbing over many of those obstacles.

Do you think you could’ve gone faster with same tires but certain skid plates? Yes. We inched over stuff to prevent rubbing, I guess if you weren’t worried as much then you could drive through stuff and not need a spotter as much. If you dragged, then you wouldn’t be as concerned. Skids are on my list and moved further up the list after this trip. Would have helped to have more protection.

In the end, I learned a lot and was able to see where I need upgrades and where I may not need as much. I had a blast overall and look forward to hitting Moab again maybe next year.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
What did you scrape? Nothing major, gas tank skid a bunch, one rim, tow hook in the rear, lower control bracket a tad, stupid shock extenders from my lift. That’s about it. Nothing big or major. I’ll be touching them up this week and will be good as new.

Do you think you could’ve gone faster with more experience and same Jeep? Ive been off roading jeeps for the last 6 years or so. I consider myself still pretty new at this, it’s my 4th jeep but sure, more experience could have helped. We took our time and got through everything with only those minor scrapes. I aired down for traction and comfort so my 33s turn into what….32s maybe 31s. With 35s or 37s, you can air down, gain traction and comfort and still have greater clearance so I feel it would be a great help in climbing over many of those obstacles.

? Yes. We inched over stuff to prevent rubbing, I guess if you weren’t worried as much then you could drive through stuff and not need a spotter as much. If you dragged, then you wouldn’t be as concerned. Skids are on my list and moved further up the list after this trip. Would have helped to have more protection.

In the end, I learned a lot and was able to see where I need upgrades and where I may not need as much. I had a blast overall and look forward to hitting Moab again maybe next year.
Thank you so much for your reply.
What did you scrape?
Litebrite taught me that Rubicon stock skids are better than you think, still cringe though!

6 years, 4th Jeep?! Sounds like good experience.
I am a relative noob so I’m learning about tire differences. Amazing what difference an inch here or there makes (tires or lift).

I planned on making up for not having a monster lift by getting strategic skids (diffs, LCAs, shocks, maybe oil pan).
Not sure I need full belly skids, but would be pretty bomb proof!

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
This past weekend we did some trail rides in the Franklin State Forest near Monteagle, TN. I was testing out my GoPro and got about 42 minutes of video from the first part of the trails. We high center on some mud around 29:55.

Franklin State Forest

306overland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 YJ, 2020 JLU Sahara Altitude(sold), 2023 JLUR
E
This past weekend we did some trail rides in the Franklin State Forest near Monteagle, TN. I was testing out my GoPro and got about 42 minutes of video from the first part of the trails. We high center on some mud around 29:55.

Franklin State Forest
Which GoPro do you have? Image stabilization is sure nice.

That’s nice country you are at. Love the tall trees!!

Sponsored

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
E
Which GoPro do you have? Image stabilization is sure nice.

That’s nice country you are at. Love the tall trees!!
I have the Hero 9 with the Max Lens Mod.

Queso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 1987 VW Westfalia, 1971 VW Single Cab
Occupation
Psychologist
Vehicle Showcase
Ouray to Telluride via Ophir Pass for coffee and then back to Ouray via Imogene Pass for beer & hot
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. B3DAFBAA-FF13-4CB3-BE34-971B23C40570
springs. One of the days I will always remember. Also picked up two BoH badges for my new rig.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. A7935EA1-CF01-46C5-A80A-999217D95DDB

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Went to lunch with a friend and his old school TJ.
Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. 44CD2B40-DE46-42BA-B221-3A64758E3229

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Took it for a drive today for the first time topless. Wasn’t as bad for wind as I thought it would be. Nothing like my 94 YJ!!

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. 3D99407E-2EEF-4989-9B6A-32019CFF8F85

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. 3D99407E-2EEF-4989-9B6A-32019CFF8F85
Love the big tires on the OE wheels!

Are you running spacers? A lift?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Took it for a drive today for the first time topless. Wasn’t as bad for wind as I thought it would be. Nothing like my 94 YJ!!
As much as I miss my 1995 YJ, day-to-day living with the factory soft top on that generation was a hot mess from the start. There are instances when I'm still amazed by how well the soft top on my 2021 JLU functions, whether raised or lowered.
Sponsored