2021 JLU 2.0T

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I think I must have just missed you guys. I took the Swan River Middle Fork trail up to Wise Mountain and then took Deer Creek north to Montezuma yesterday. Agreed, views were amazing.

Could I join your club that you’re apart of? I’m a lone jeeper ever since my one friend moved out of CO and I’m fairly new to off roading. I’ve done a few trails off Tiger Road in Breck and the Crystal Mill loop. I would love to be able to 11group up with some more experienced people and learn some tricks and tips.

Karl,

The Mile High Jeep Club currently has 21 patrols all around the greater Denver metro area and a few beyond. Some members are also from out of state. Look up their website "mhjc.clubexpress.com" and go to the membership page. Find the list of patrols and find the group the best fits your likes, Jeeping styles and chemistry.

Some are fairly mellow and stick to the easy to moderate trails. However there are some patrols that really focus on the cliff climbing, rock crawling, severe to extreme stuff. Some like to camp and overland, some just stay fairly local. Most sprinkle combinations of trail difficulty. However, everyone enjoys the camaraderie independent of the destination.

Best part, is that most patrols allow any MHJC member to tag along on any run. The more serious patrols, depending on the run additionally require certain equipment like 35" or larger tires, lockers and recovery gear. But clearly most allow anyone to participate, but we all share the motto "if you come along, we'll get you back" and "no Jeep left behind".

We all are very serious about "stay the trail", strictly follow all state and US forest service rules and guidelines. Furthermore, all patrols 'adopt' several trails throughout the state and we all do frequent maintenance runs coordinated with the National Forest Rangers and Forest Service personnel.

So joining isn't as casual as just getting together and going wheeling on a whim. It is certainly that but with the added responsibility of helping keep the public land use and access preserved for everyone's benefit. So there is some commitment involved too. But of course it is all volunteer and you participate to the level you're comfortable.

As a recent example, back on Sept 29, my patrol (Patrol 2) helped place 'kiosk' signs on both the Browns and Breakneck Pass trailheads. Thankfully the Forest Service supplied a couple of their staff along with an auger and a jack hammer as well as the signage. Three of us helped dig the post holes and raised the signs, while others on the patrol went and cleaned up the campsites and trails along both routes.

We have a monthly Parent Club meeting with all patrols each third Thursday of the month at 7:00pm at the Elks Lodge in Westminister. Please come look us up. Most all meetings have been held out doors this year (or virtual) because of COVID, but like everyone else we're doing the best we can to be as safe as possible.

Hope this helps you with some background with MHJC but I'm sure there are many other Jeep Clubs here in Colorado. And it certainly is better to be out in the wilderness among friends and other Jeeping buddies. It really adds a whole other dimension to the experience of Jeeping fun.

Jay

Sponsored

kingpinJL

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2021 JLUR
last week, headed out to do part of the Texas overland trail:
3KoRHGE.jpg

96aExwB.jpg

ZHZufzQ.jpg

oMD2sJ5.jpg

7ZQ7Nsj.png

We got about halfway through when my wife had to pee, so we trucked on to enchanted rock
8GPqaRC.jpg

we had a bit of a clusterfuck getting camp setup that night, so we got a hotel room in marble falls....

kingpinJL

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2021 JLUR
The next day we headed up to Glen Rose, Tx and spent the day at the Fossil Rim wildlife center:
9uihz6U.jpg

MO7l35p.jpg

kJ8Aweb.png

where i got #duckduckjeeped

8K9LBt1.jpg

DXJdenM.jpg

pz70d0U.jpg

and we pitched camp at Dinosaur valley state park:
T79FZfx.jpg

and we saw some dinosaur tracks:
HdiJlMm.jpg

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Just following power lines LOL... Exploring... That's why I bought the Jeep :)

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. IMG_7297

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. IMG_7302

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. IMG_7306

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. IMG_7318

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. IMG_7328

Jeep Wrangler JL What did you do WITH your Jeep today. IMG_7337

Attachments

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed

YR2SLW

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Parts Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hanging in Ouray for a long weekend.

We are leaving Monday and heading to Ouray. I am excited and nervous. We hope the weather holds out and we get to see these same amazing spots. I know "The Wall is closed as of today", but what trails would you say are a MUST!. We'll have 4 days (one of which we'd like to do the Via Ferrata so that will take us away from wheeling).

Jake

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
We are leaving Monday and heading to Ouray. I am excited and nervous. We hope the weather holds out and we get to see these same amazing spots. I know "The Wall is closed as of today", but what trails would you say are a MUST!. We'll have 4 days (one of which we'd like to do the Via Ferrata so that will take us away from wheeling).

Jake
Yea Poughkeepsie closed today. I would definitely run Imogene from Ouray to Telluride then Ophir back to 550 in the same day. Lower mineral creek to Engineer is really nice. You could go that way then after summit of engineer head back down south via Engineer Alpine loop connect to Animas Forks. From there you can hit California Pass to Lake Como then up to Hurricane Pass summit. Continue on back to Corkscrew Summit and out to 550. Also, Black Bear one day for sure.

AC942A75-6EBA-4D54-A299-46A550D64A84.jpeg

InvictusManeo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler

Jake
I know you didn’t ask me but I just got back from too. We only had a few days as well so we weren’t able to do every one of the great trails they have out there, but you can still get a lot done with your time depending on how packed you want your day to be, and if you have to set up/ take down camp, or just stay in a VRBO like my wife and did.
We stayed in Ouray for the first couple nights and in Telluride the next couple.

We were able to do Black Bear/Imogene/ Ouray Via Ferrara all in the first day.

Did Mineral Creek to the summit of Engineer, then back to Poughkeepsie (now closed for the season as you seem to already be aware) and back to 550 via Hurricane/corkscrew. If Poughkeepsie was closed, I would probably have tried to do the whole alpine loop that day. Mineral/engineer to Lake City, then back via Cinnamon/California/corkscrew. But this would make for a looong day in the saddle.

Another day we. Went to the Box Canyon, then did Yankee Boy Basin with some hiking at the end, and Last Dollar to take us into Telluride.

Last day we did Ophir pass twice, out, and back the same way we came, and then did the Telluride Via Ferrata that afternoon.

If you’re looking for more challenging stuff I’d say Mineral Creek and Black Bear would be can’t miss. Imogene and Yankee Boy were more moderate, and corkscrew and Ophir won’t pose much challenge, but had great views.
I also think both Via ferratas were fantastic and I would recommend trying to do both. Telluride was like a long hike with interspersed clipped in sections with tons of exposure and views for days. Ouray was more technical, clipped in the whole time. My wife and I had a combined prior climbing experience of 0 and did both without a guide, and felt safe the whole time.
Sponsored